Opinions on Willie Parker?

StillerPaul

I was just wondering what you guys think of Willie Parker. For me, it's still so totally strange that the Steelers have a small, speed back as the starter. All my life, i was told it was the Steeler way to have a big, bruising back and thats what we needed to make our offense click. Well we did have Jerome Bettis and Duce Staley to fill that role this year. But Willie was our feature back all year, the Bus was strictly the short yardage/4th quarter back to give Willie a breather.

The guy has had alot of carries that were for either minimal yardage or a loss to go with his long runs. I gotta say, it didn't even bother me a bit to see that, strangely enough.

Do you guys think we accomplish what we did without Willie? How important does he appear to be to my team, in you guys' opinions?

SP, my brotha, I feel that Willie Parker did a tremendous job for you guys this season. He had one of the more important plays in the Super Bowl as well his 76 yard TD run to open up the 2nd half. Parker and Bettis together created a duo of speed / outside running and tough inside running. They were unstoppable at points. That being said I think losing Bettis will hurt you guys (but that should be a little obvious). However, you still have Duce Staley and he can ground it out with the best of um' when healthy. Willie can be a 20-25 carry a game starter in this league and he may just have to turn into that now that The Bus is gone and it's down to a 2 headed monster instead of the 3 man thing...unless they plan to use Haynes more.

i really dont think the bus could have handled the full load this year, and duce most definately couldn't. Without Willie, i dont think you make that strong push to the playoffs, and thus, never make 'em, much less win the superbowl. I do think you need to get someone to replace bettis as a 3rd down/short yardage back though, so that you guys can keep the ability to change it up between the speedster and a bruiser.

SP, my brotha, I feel that Willie Parker did a tremendous job for you guys this season. He had one of the more important plays in the Super Bowl as well his 76 yard TD run to open up the 2nd half. Parker and Bettis together created a duo of speed / outside running and tough inside running. They were unstoppable at points. That being said I think losing Bettis will hurt you guys (but that should be a little obvious). However, you still have Duce Staley and he can ground it out with the best of um' when healthy. Willie can be a 20-25 carry a game starter in this league and he may just have to turn into that now that The Bus is gone and it's down to a 2 headed monster instead of the 3 man thing...unless they plan to use Hayes more.

You think Staley is going to stay healthy?

ironically...this coming from the guy who believes chad pennington will come back healthy....lol

Yeah, I do.

Aside from last year Duce has been a typically healthy back.

yeah i know, the only thing is that historically with a bruising back like duce, once you start downhill, you stay downhill...whether it is or isnt due to injury

Do ya's think that Willie can have a somewhat long career considering his smallish stature? Thats a genuine concern of mine. How long will he last?

Willie didn't seem like he was taking a lot of hard hits this season so if he can continue that and avoid the big hits, much like LT has always done, then the guy can play as long as the normal back if not longer...Willie also didn't really play in college so his body hasn't taken as many shots as most young star backs.

Do ya's think that Willie can have a somewhat long career considering his smallish stature? Thats a genuine concern of mine. How long will he last?

who knows, one hit is all it can take on ANY player, so you can't ever really guess with these things...

look at it this way, atleast he doesnt have to worry about polamalu! lol

yeah i know, the only thing is that historically with a bruising back like duce, once you start downhill, you stay downhill...whether it is or isnt due to injury

Yeah, that has been the case...but I don't think Duce is going downhill really. He got hurt and I think he'll comeback just fine. If his performance drops off then he's starting to downhill but that's just something unknown right now. I really love Veron Haynes in the backfield in Pittsburgh....I don't know how the rest of Steeler Nation feels about or how you do Paul, but yeah, I've always thought they should give the guy a try at maybe being the #2 back.

If not...The Steelers should maybe consider drafting Brian Leonard...the RB / FB from RU, he'll be there on Day 2...Round 3 at best IMO.

who knows, one hit is all it can take on ANY player, so you can't ever really guess with these things...

look at it this way, atleast he doesnt have to worry about polamalu! lol

No, he just has to worry about Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, David Pollack and Odell Thurman 4 times a freakin' year for his whole career. Thats SCARY! LOL

No, he just has to worry about Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, David Pollack and Odell Thurman 4 times a freakin' year for his whole career. Thats SCARY! LOL

maybe not lewis, and ed reed wants top defensive player money too...so this could be his last year with the ravens coming up, who knows...im sure you'd be glad to get them out of the division

Problem with Parker (from what I've seen) is that he goes down too easily. He doesn't seem to have the power to break any "real" tackles at all. Actually he reminds me a lot of Martin in that regard (plus the speed & minus the experience of course).

I noticed that alot too.

Willie Parker goes down so easy! Really is alot like Curtis Martin in that area. But for the most part, Parker runs past those guys, while Martin just doesnt. :)

I like Parker, not sure if he'd be a really good 25 carry back, but he's got alot of speed which you cant teach. But he goes down waaayyy to easy.

I think the performance of guys like Willie Parker, Samkon Gado, D Davis, C Houston etc.. have a real chance of changing the perception of the value of an NFL RB. Besides the obvious elite RB's, I just don't think there is a huge difference in talent between these guys and other early draft picks. If Parker and some others find continued success, I think you will see alot of teams try to build a solid OL with as good QB and try to find gems at RB later on in the draft for value.

I do think Parker has just as good of a chance of dropping off the face of the earth as he does succeeding.

Willie is Willie. Hard worker, great kid, but he didnt play much at Carolina for several reasons.

He had horrific fumbling problems which he seems to have cured.

he also as Stillerpaul notes, would usually lose or have no gain and then rip one off. In college game he didnt get as many touches so he had some games without the rips.

Jetheelz can talk to this more as he is much more knowledgable on Carolina football than I.

I noticed that alot too.

Willie Parker goes down so easy! Really is alot like Curtis Martin in that area. But for the most part, Parker runs past those guys, while Martin just doesnt. :)

I like Parker, not sure if he'd be a really good 25 carry back, but he's got alot of speed which you cant teach. But he goes down waaayyy to easy.

I agree, but I think Parker is a raw talent, bulk him up a little, get a little more experience under his belt (or Super Bowl ring lol) and watch him turn into a potential pro bowler if not HOF'er some day. IMO

Archived