Maybe a little step back for everyone

On 6/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, Wonderboy said:

Mine as well. Seen them over 20 times. Awaken. As meant for people to be aware of what’s happening right under their collective noses. To take action not step back. Time to move forward. Peace not violence. 

Nothing to do with this post, but here are a few others to listen too...

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Holdsworth is one of the greatest. Up there with Howe, Page, Hendrix, Beck and McLaughlin.

If I had to pick one guitarist like no other guitarist in the world... he's it.  That guy was on a level that a handful of guitarists have ever touched.  Hendrix... if I had to pick one 6 stringer was "the greatest."  But even Steve Vai was like, "I know how every other guitarist thinks... and I had no clue how Holdsworth thought."  I started listening to some of his older stuff with Tempest, Gong and Jean-Luc Ponty and even back then he just slays almost all other guitar players.  Whenever you discover a new guitarist your old listening experience comes into play.  I grew up listening to to pretty much everybody at some point.  But when I first heard Holdsworth my jaw literally dropped off.  Uhhhh.  WHAT?!  Holdsworth was like if Jackson Pollack liked the saxophone then switched to guitar.  His playing just stops you in your tracks. (I mean, of the last 60 years, maybe Ollie Halsall who played with Kevin Ayers and also in Tempest, was that "out there" just from a stylistic approach... but even fewer people even know who that guy was.)  Holdsworth was almost peerless and it's a tragedy he is no longer with us. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

If I had to pick one guitarist like no other guitarist in the world... he's it.  That guy was on a level that a handful of guitarists have ever touched.  Hendrix if I had to pick one was "the greatest."  But even Steve Vai was like, "I know how every other guitarist thinks... and I had no clue how Holdsworth thought."  I started listening to some of his older stuff with Tempest, Gong and Jean-Luc Ponty and even back then he just slays almost all other guitar players.  Whenever you discover a new guitarist your old listening experience comes into play.  I grew up listening to to pretty much everybody at some point.  When I first heard Holdsworth my jaw literally dropped off.  Uhhhh.  WHAT?!  Holdsworth was like if Jackson Pollack liked the saxophone then switched to guitar.  His playing just stops you in your tracks. (I mean, of the last 60 years, maybe Ollie Halsall who played with Kevin Ayers and also in Tempest, was that "out there" just from a stylistic approach... but even fewer people even know who that guy was.)  Holdsworth was almost peerless and it's a tragedy he is no longer with us. 

Gong.... I can remember (well almost) when I heard them on WRVR in New York (106.7) before they switched to country music which at the time made me lose my mind lol... They were the only place to listen to fusion. at the time, and when it went away I wept. I learned classical piano as a child, and when I made it to teenager, I started liking rock, like most kids, however then I hear YES and it turned my whole musical listening around. From Yes, Genesis, etc... to fusion when I heard 106.7, I liked Ponty, but my favorite Holdsworth collaboration is with Bill Bruford. Some of the guitar solo's are out of this world.  (Feels good to me, and One of a Kind)...

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Gong.... I can remember (well almost) when I heard them on WRVR in New York (106.7) before they switched to country music which at the time made me lose my mind lol... They were the only place to listen to fusion. at the time, and when it went away I wept. I learned classical piano as a child, and when I made it to teenager, I started liking rock, like most kids, however then I hear YES and it turned my whole musical listening around. From Yes, Genesis, etc... to fusion when I heard 106.7, I liked Ponty, but my favorite Holdsworth collaboration is with Bill Bruford. Some of the guitar solo's are out of this world.  (Feels good to me, and One of a Kind)...

IMan.  I've tried to get into fusion a few times but I can't say it a huge part of my listening career.  I love some odds n' ends.  The first Brand X album.  Billy Cobham's Spectum album. (featuring Tommy Bolin, a rock guy), Jeff's Beck stuff with Jan Hammer zinging along with him.  Shawn Lane'a stuff with Jonus Hellbourg is amazing.  All though Lane dances that between being the shredder  and fusion so well.  I think it breaks down that I'm not a very mathematically inclined person.  I'll hear a mode or scale over a couple of different time signatures. then go, "Yeah.  F--- this!" Not everybody does that of course.  But if I don't hear a fuzz tone, wah wah or something approximating rock guitar... I'm like "Get me out of here!"  Only so many legato phrases, I guess.  But I think I do pretty well.  I at least keep my ears open from time to time.  It's just that I don't want to go on Rick Beato's Youtube channel to re-learn what I forgot about in musical theory while playing guitar.  It figures.  I'm lazy!

• Upvote 1