Betty's August Thoughts

CJ Mosely's recent opting-out has changed the landscape of the NFL and the Jets significantly.  Not only does the defense take a huge hit, but it provides a window into the type of season 2020 will be.  In all likelihood, many more players, including stars, will opt out and chances are players will test positive though out the year.  For me that means I have no expectations for this season.  That doesn't mean we won't do well but I don't think our record will mean that much in the long run.  In other words, 2020 will be a throw away season of relatively meaningless games.  I think it is likely that the remaining moves Douglas makes will be more about 2021 than 2020.  

• It appears that Douglas's approach of signing short term deals to fill holes was quite prescient.  Unlike many other teams he will have lots of cap space at his disposal even if the cap goes down significantly in 2021.  
  • I don't think this years' record will be very meaningful and, as such, the best that could happen is for the rookies to get plenty of time to prove themselves.  If Douglas goes into the 2021 off-season knowing he has his LT and WR of the future, expectations will go up significantly.  If Davis, Clarke and Hall show they are capable starters then 2020 will be a foundational year.
  • In the unlikely event the team starts out as they did last year, I hope Gase & Co take the opportunity to play the young guys and preserve the rest.  Namely, Perrine, Hall, Huff, Clark and Cage (if he makes the team) should be highlighted.
  • No idea what the 2021 draft will look like IF the college football season doesn't happen.  We're all excited about the rookies but in reality the biggest wildcard for the year is whether or not we have a GM who (finally!) knows how to evaluate talent.    

I know it's not much but that's all I got.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

CJ Mosely's recent opting-out has changed the landscape of the NFL and the Jets significantly.  Not only does the defense take a huge hit, but it provides a window into the type of season 2020 will be.  In all likelihood, many more players, including stars, will opt out and chances are players will test positive though out the year.  For me that means I have no expectations for this season.  That doesn't mean we won't do well but I don't think our record will mean that much in the long run.  In other words, 2020 will be a throw away season of relatively meaningless games.  I think it is likely that the remaining moves Douglas makes will be more about 2021 than 2020.  

• It appears that Douglas's approach of signing short term deals to fill holes was quite prescient.  Unlike many other teams he will have lots of cap space at his disposal even if the cap goes down significantly in 2021.  
  • I don't think this years' record will be very meaningful and, as such, the best that could happen is for the rookies to get plenty of time to prove themselves.  If Douglas goes into the 2021 off-season knowing he has his LT and WR of the future, expectations will go up significantly.  If Davis, Clarke and Hall show they are capable starters then 2020 will be a foundational year.
  • In the unlikely event the team starts out as they did last year, I hope Gase & Co take the opportunity to play the young guys and preserve the rest.  Namely, Perrine, Hall, Huff, Clark and Cage (if he makes the team) should be highlighted.
  • No idea what the 2021 draft will look like IF the college football season doesn't happen.  We're all excited about the rookies but in reality the biggest wildcard for the year is whether or not we have a GM who (finally!) knows how to evaluate talent.    

I know it's not much but that's all I got.  

I think the entire season will be a wild card between injuries, lack of training camp, Covid and those opting out.  We could win the division or finish last depending on teams health.   We know what its like to have a QB struck with a virus and a season derailed-It could happen this year to several teams.  

I wonder will more of the guys at the top of the salary range opt out, or will it be the marginal guys trying to make the team at lower salaries?

I like Douglas approach so far-It seems practical, calculated and value based.  He is going to build a young athletic team with multiple high draft picks and accrue comp picks whenever possible.  He has a set of balls to trade arguably their best player in his first year on the job.    

• Sympathy 1