Tyson Jones Fiasco

Smashmouth

So boxing has figured out yet another way to get 10 million in Tysons hands and 3 million in Jones hands. I see people claiming Tyson won the fight and I have to laugh out loud. They both won because they fleeced the boxing public once again. Jones has done this more than once late in his career. How could people worry about who won a fight that was obviously staged right before their eyes to take their money ? Are people really this stupid or is the WWF real ? Yes I had people tell me Wrestling was in fact real this is the same thing.

Neither fighter wanted to hurt the other and there was absolutely zero intensity. How many times did Tyson back a unwilling Jones into the ropes throw one weak punch to the body then grab him ? Anyone who knows Tyson and how he fought knows this is horse sh*t he would have unloaded. How many times did Jones not even throw a punch at all and just grab Tyson ? This was not a fight at all and it was agreed upon by both fighters that this is for a pay day and a business transaction as they laughed all the way to the bank on the public's dime. I myself did not think for a second to pay for this crap I watched it on Youtube for about 4 rounds then just turned it off since it was painfully obvious what was happening here.

The guys announcing the fight were comical trying their best to make this fiasco seem real making themselves look like Idiots in the process. I guess this is what this world is coming too rip off the unsuspecting Idiots who actually believe what they are seeing and laugh at the stupidity as they get richer. They should post the names of every Idiot who paid for this sh*tshow and slap everyone of them in the face for being stupid.

Brought back memories of the Last Roy Jones Bernard Hopkins fight where good ole Roy raped the boxing public along with his new found friend Hopkins. 

If you want to have an exhibition that's fine but in boxing that's impossible by the subject matter alone. Why people would pay for that is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Why people would pay for that is beyond me.

I'm not disagreeing with your points, but these are two reasonably well-known public figures. They have a fanbase, and there's always a section of the public that enjoys 'car crash' or 'freak show' entertainment. 

I'm sure the organizers did their homework. Their fanbase is older, wealthier than when they first watched them on TV. Then there's the promotional aspect; the word of mouth. Tyson, for his part, maintains a strong presence in pop culture, even though he was a massively overrated boxer. 

People turn out for this nonsense for the same reason they turn out to hear washed up celebrity 'guest speakers' at privately hosted events. They're not telling you anything you haven't seen or heard from a million other people you've interacted with, but their public profile gives the event a certain significance. 

If Michael Vick and Randy Moss scheduled a throw-around at some scrimmage in your town, wouldn't people turn out to see them? 

17 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I'm not disagreeing with your points, but these are two reasonably well-known public figures. They have a fanbase, and there's always a section of the public that enjoys 'car crash' or 'freak show' entertainment. 

I'm sure the organizers did their homework. Their fanbase is older, wealthier than when they first watched them on TV. Then there's the promotional aspect; the word of mouth. Tyson, for his part, maintains a strong presence in pop culture, even though he was a massively overrated boxer. 

People turn out for this nonsense for the same reason they turn out to hear washed up celebrity 'guest speakers' at privately hosted events. They're not telling you anything you haven't seen or heard from a million other people you've interacted with, but their public profile gives the event a certain significance. 

If Michael Vick and Randy Moss scheduled a throw-around at some scrimmage in your town, wouldn't people turn out to see them? 

I agree with you as well and you said it very well, from a fans standpoint. people want to see the past sports figures they worshipped back in their younger years. I loved both fighters who were incredibly talented but I have seen a lot of fights that I thought were going to be huge battles turn out to be hoaxes and I think it puts a huge black mark on boxing a sport that does not really need it. If they wanted to put on a exhibition like this which was obviously staged then they should have donated all the proceeds to some viable cause and made it clear this was never intended to be a real fight and I would have respected that without question. Too many times older fighters who once had a fierce rivalry get together and dupe the public and make millions by throwing out the drama and hatred only to see zero intensity in the ring and that is a disgrace to the sport and what it stands for.

Tyson who I now respect for turning his train wreck of a life around got 10 million and Jones who was notorious for fake fights late in career got 3 mil. Said part is people actually think this was real and they are actually debating the outcome.

17 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I agree with you as well and you said it very well, from a fans standpoint. people want to see the past sports figures they worshipped back in their younger years. I loved both fighters who were incredibly talented but I have seen a lot of fights that I thought were going to be huge battles turn out to be hoaxes and I think it puts a huge black mark on boxing a sport that does not really need it. If they wanted to put on a exhibition like this which was obviously staged then they should have donated all the proceeds to some viable cause and made it clear this was never intended to be a real fight and I would have respected that without question. Too many times older fighters who once had a fierce rivalry get together and dupe the public and make millions by throwing out the drama and hatred only to see zero intensity in the ring and that is a disgrace to the sport and what it stands for.

But this IS a reasonable cause. And it IS a real fight. Let me explain.

From a broader perspective, American life - defined by puritanical christian principles - is all about winning against 'nature'. The environment and the elements are to be controlled, you're expected to fight against the forces of nature. Defying age, and the presumed physical and mental deterioration, fits right into this. 

The assumption is; you can make all the money, you can get all the women, you can win all your competitions against fellow humans ...so what's left? Beating nature. 

We're seeing this in other sports as well; take a look at Tom Brady refusing to piss off, while chronicling his 'Tom vs Time' battle. He's got nothing left to prove in football, and he's battling the forces of nature. 

Is there any society where you'd see 70 year olds working as hard as they do? I see guys across a number of professions, simply refusing to 'retire'. for them it's like a defeat. 

Where else would a 50 year old get into a ring to fight? Makes no sense. But it does here.

Is there any other society where billionaires fund anti-aging projects, with the objective of making "90 the new 50"? https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/the-ultra-rich-are-investing-in-companies-trying-to-reverse-aging.html

In a country like America, we're basically living to work. And age is no barrier. Especially in a post-pandemic era, when the economy sucks, and the American solution is to simply 'work more hours' rather rely on the hand of the government. 

Mike tyson's pointless fight is a part of this greater 'man vs nature' mindset that is prevalent in America, and characteristic of American life. 

I too watched the fight on YouTube. I wouldn't say it was staged but they were definitely taking it easy on each other. They did it for nostalgic purposes. Tyson could have easily blasted Roy Jones head off

Tyson says he's doing this to give money to charities. He's also doing it because the amount of money guys are making these days completely Trump's what they made 20 or 30 years ago. Go look at the payday Boomer Esiason or Jerry Rice we're making compared to the players of today.

I think he's just trying to take care of guys his age and I don't really think it's a bad thing.

I think about this.... George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, Steve Young, and Joe Namath are still working LOL. Yet Sam Darnold could retire tomorrow at 23 years old with his 30 million guaranteed.