Broncos | Team reportedly pushing for Abraham trade

Smizzy

Broncos | Team reportedly pushing for Abraham trade

Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:54:06 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports several teams remain interested in trading for New York Jets franchise free agent DE John Abraham, and a person with knowledge of the situation said Thursday, March 9, that the Denver Broncos have been the most aggressive team pursuing Abraham. Abraham has made clear through agents Rich Rosa and Tony Agnone that he wants the security of a long-term commitment or he wants to be traded to a team that will give him one. The Broncos have the 22nd and 29th picks in the upcoming NFL Draft. Although there has been speculation that the Jets and Broncos already are far along in negotiations, a person familiar with Abraham's situation said that a deal may not happen for a week or two

I did my best to find the freakin place I read this, but it was from a reputable news source.... there is some rather obscure thing in the new CBA that means franchised players have to be traded within two weeks of the start of free agency, or there are undesirable consequences to the trading team. I think it was that the price of the FT, in Abraham's case, 8.33 mil, will stay on the team's cap for the whole year. If he's traded before that, it doesn't count.

I did my best to find it, but without any luck. Things like this are why the teams would have liked more time , delaying FA once again.

Trust me or not on this, but it's what I read... if it's accurate, the Jets can't wait until the draft to trade him. They have just two weeks.

I did my best to find the freakin place I read this, but it was from a reputable news source.... there is some rather obscure thing in the new CBA that means franchised players have to be traded within two weeks of the start of free agency, or there are undesirable consequences to the trading team. I think it was that the price of the FT, in Abraham's case, 8.33 mil, will stay on the team's cap for the whole year. If he's traded before that, it doesn't count.

I did my best to find it, but without any luck. Things like this are why the teams would have liked more time , delaying FA once again.

Trust me or not on this, but it's what I read... if it's accurate, the Jets can't wait until the draft to trade him. They have just two weeks.

If they can't complete the trade in time, they might as well hold onto him for yet another year. I think Abraham's camp should pressure the Broncos to get a deal done quickly.

I did some more looking around.... if a FT'd player doesn't sign within two weeks of the beginning of FA, his franchise tag price stays on the Jets' cap until July, even if he gets traded. Now, the part I'm fuzzy on, is I think that when you trade a FT'd player, it's the owning club that actually signs him to the long term deal, and THEN he gets traded. If that's right, the Jets would carry this 8 mil cap hit like a yolk until July.... not good. I may have this part of it wrong, so if someone understands that part of it better than I, please chime in!

If they can't complete the trade in time, they might as well hold onto him for yet another year. I think Abraham's camp should pressure the Broncos to get a deal done quickly.

Keep him for another year & we won't sniff at the same offers when he'll be 29 and also add the likelihood he won't play 16 games.

2005 John Abraham:

28 years old, just played a full season with 10.5 sacks & 5 FF's

2006 John Abrham:

29 years old, prob only plays 10 games with much lower year-tot #'s.

Also we can't franchise him next year unless we're willing to give him a $10-11M franchise tender since if you franchise someone for a 3rd straight season he gets the avg salary of the top 5 QUARTERBACKS according to the new CBA. Since he will have just pocketed $8.3M for 2006, $11M in 2007 for one season probably doesn't sound like such a bad deal so he'd probably sign it. We'd be outrageously lucky to get a late 2nd-rounder next year.

Take the best deal we can get in 2006, which is what the FO is planning.

but that kid will never have the talent Abe has

(yes i know he may be healthy unlike Abe too)

You never really know. Vrabel was all but a lost cause when th Pats picked him up. Porter was a low draft pick as was Llloyd I believe.

but that kid will never have the talent Abe has

(yes i know he may be healthy unlike Abe too)

"That kid" also won't command a 1-time-only salary of $8.3M for 2006 or a $20M SB in a system that he won't fit in within 1 year. What are we going to do, give him $20M up front to use as a situational pass rusher when we fully switch over to a 3-4?

Archived