Cancel Culture Is Here For Our Sports Teams

blackghost

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is a story for ya'll.   My CFL team was named the Edmonton Eskimos for like about 60 years.   We were basically the flag ship franchise for years and years and had more than one dynasty.

Many Inuit people were surveyed and asked about the name as some thought it was not a proper term to use.  The vast majority said they did not care at all, some said they were happy having a sports teams with that name and a few complained.

In all my years as a fan I never once heard a fan or the team use the name in any kind of derogatory manner.

Then as expected cancel culture arrived and a some people went totally off the rails saying how awful and disrespectful the name was, the people complaining would not know a football from a golf ball but yet the pressure mounted and the team changed the name to the Elks.

That was about 3 years ago.  Since the name change the team has not won one home football game, 23 losses in a row at home, a pro sports record.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2