Has Anybody Been Watching The Offer on Paramount?

For Godfather freaks like us it is the best series since Deadwood . It's about the making of The Godfather taken from the recollections of Producer Al Ruddy. Juno Temple (who doesn't even get naked in this one...yet anyway) is AMAZING as is Giovanni Ribisi as Joe Colombo. If The Godfather movies are a big part of your lives, then you will love this 10 episode series. There are 3 more to go and Thursdays can't get here soon enough.

• Sympathy 2

We are all addicted to it.  Great friggin' limited series.  Hate that it's only available once/week. 

Miles Teller shines as Ruddy.  Matthew Good (Lady Mary's husband in Downton Abbey) as Bob Evans, and Dan Fogler as Coppola are excellent as well.  Justin Chambers perfectly captures Brando, too.

it's a slimy business isn't it MM? What I find the most interesting is how it ties up some historical moments for us. Remember that promo video Evans made in The Kid Stays in The Picture? That had to be right at that time too. Then I didn't know about  or wasn't paying attention to that whole Italian thing that Costello put together and that it had anything to do with the making of the GF. How the real horse head came to be... Then Crazy Joey Gallo's ruder at Umberto's which according to Scorscese's The Irishman was carried out by the same guy who killed Hoffa. It's such a great series for us. My wife and I recite the GF lines in the actors voices whenever we watch them. Also, we pretend that GF 3 never happened...

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

it's a slimy business isn't it MM? What I find the most interesting is how it ties up some historical moments for us. Remember that promo video Evans made in The Kid Stays in The Picture? That had to be right at that time too. Then I didn't know about  or wasn't paying attention to that whole Italian thing that Costello put together and that it had anything to do with the making of the GF. How the real horse head came to be... Then Crazy Joey Gallo's ruder at Umberto's which according to Scorscese's The Irishman was carried out by the same guy who killed Hoffa. It's such a great series for us. My wife and I recite the GF lines in the actors voices whenever we watch them. Also, we pretend that GF 3 never happened...

So many moments that come up I either forgot or never knew.  I totally remember Colombo's Italian American Civil Rights League.  Even had the t-shirt.  But I have no recollection of his impact on the making of the film.  

No joke, my son finally saw Godfather III, or actually Coppola's re-edited Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone, on Saturday.   For years, my wife and I kept telling him that it was a disaster.   He's a huge fan of the first two, so I was interested in seeing his reaction to that mess.  Well, within 10 minutes he was ripping it to shreds.  After that awful finale, he had a bunch of other comments like: "WTF is Coppola/Puzo doing?"  "Michael isn't acting like Michael."  "What, Connie is now calling hits on guys?"  and the biggest one, "The lighting, editing and almost everything about the film bears no resemblance to the first two.  It's like some director trying to imitate Coppola."  lol  Told ya.

41 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

So many moments that come up I either forgot or never knew.  I totally remember Colombo's Italian American Civil Rights League.  Even had the t-shirt.  But I have no recollection of his impact on the making of the film.  

No joke, my son finally saw Godfather III, or actually Coppola's re-edited Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone, on Saturday.   For years, my wife and I kept telling him that it was a disaster.   He's a huge fan of the first two, so I was interested in seeing his reaction to that mess.  Well, within 10 minutes he was ripping it to shreds.  After that awful finale, he had a bunch of other comments like: "WTF is Coppola/Puzo doing?"  "Michael isn't acting like Michael."  "What, Connie is now calling hits on guys?"  and the biggest one, "The lighting, editing and almost everything about the film bears no resemblance to the first two.  It's like some director trying to imitate Coppola."  lol  Told ya.

I am pretty sure the sticker was on the Imperial in Mean Streets in some scenes. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

You know what a great observation, something that I have never heard anyone else make, that about the lighting and editing and the film not looking or having the same feel as the other two. It was mentioned somewhere in the series how Coppola wanted it to look like a painting and he achieved that in 1 & 2. But 3 I mean it was also horribly miscast, first off I never liked Diane Keaton in any of them and then to put his very young and green daughter in such a big part, big miss there too. I'm sorry as an Italian putting Andy Garcia such an obvious Hispanic dude-was never believable AT THE TIME (he later played a Don in Rob the Mob and was excellent as an Italian.) Finally Eli Wallach as great as he is doesn't belong there either.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

You know what a great observation, something that I have never heard anyone else make, that about the lighting and editing and the film not looking or having the same feel as the other two. It was mentioned somewhere in the series how Coppola wanted it to look like a painting and he achieved that in 1 & 2. But 3 I mean it was also horribly miscast, first off I never liked Diane Keaton in any of them and then to put his very young and green daughter in such a big part, big miss there too. I'm sorry as an Italian putting Andy Garcia such an obvious Hispanic dude-was never believable AT THE TIME (he later played a Don in Rob the Mob and was excellent as an Italian.) Finally Eli Wallach as great as he is doesn't belong there either.

Dude, I love Eli Wallach.  But he's awful in GFIII.  And then Puzo pulls out him getting poisoned at the opera with cannoli.  LMFAO.   

Totally agree that Andy Garcia, again who I like as an actor, was a terrible choice as Sonny's kid.  He overacts and in about 20 minutes becomes Michael's heir apparent.  WTF?  

After watching it again on Saturday, I now completely understand why Winona  Rider walked away from the movie.  She must have seen that it was going to be a disaster.   I felt really bad for Sofia Coppola.  She gives it her all, but just does not have any of the necessary acting chops.  And why do we need her being in love with Sonny's kid, her first cousin?   Again, odd choice by Puzo/Coppola.

Man I'll tell you mm, it's why you have always been one of the most interesting characters here on JN for me for all these years. We're both about the same age so we both grew up with the same TV, movies and music. Now this throws the discussion off into a slightly different direction but it's another thing that I've been thinking about;

Recently I have become a big Elvis Presley fan, IDK, might have had something to do with a trip we took to Memphis about 10 years ago. Now when we were growing up and started paying attention to the radio in the mid-1960s' and if you happened to be in the tri-state metropolitan area of NY, NJ, and Conn, you would have gotten WABC, WMCA, and WINS and on those stations The Beatles, The Dave Clark Five and The Rolling Stones, were in a 3-way battle for top bands being played the second tier were groups like Herman Hermits, The Animals, The Searchers  and The Hollies. What this shows you is in my area we got every song that was released in England-even crap like Do The Freddie by Freddie and the Dreamers as well as the many one hit wonders and some cool songs like Winchester Cathedral Whistling and Jack Smith's "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman". With the exception of the great Motown stuff when it came to our NYC AM radio  playlist we here in NJ and NYC were essentially England West.

A few years ago I started working on downloading the Top 100 hits of each year starting in 1960I was surprised to see so many songs that I never heard on the list-especially all of these Presley songs. They just were NEVER played by Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram, Scott Muni or Murray the K. For me and my cousins and my Big Sister (it was always good to have older sibs in the house to turn you on to the new stuff out there)Elvis Presley was something that was old and obsolete by the time that The Beatles stepped off that plane at LaGuardia in Feb of 1963. In fact I swear I don't remember hearing and new releases from The King until In The Ghetto and Suspicious Minds. I remember really listening to Suspicious Minds and I loved how it would fade out near the end and then come back in and when the DJ's had the time to do it they'd play the WHOLE record. That's when I realized how good Elvis was and not just an oldies act.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:02 AM, SoFlaJets said:

Man I'll tell you mm, it's why you have always been one of the most interesting characters here on JN for me for all these years. We're both about the same age so we both grew up with the same TV, movies and music. Now this throws the discussion off into a slightly different direction but it's another thing that I've been thinking about;

Recently I have become a big Elvis Presley fan, IDK, might have had something to do with a trip we took to Memphis about 10 years ago. Now when we were growing up and started paying attention to the radio in the mid-1960s' and if you happened to be in the tri-state metropolitan area of NY, NJ, and Conn, you would have gotten WABC, WMCA, and WINS and on those stations The Beatles, The Dave Clark Five and The Rolling Stones, were in a 3-way battle for top bands being played the second tier were groups like Herman Hermits, The Animals, The Searchers  and The Hollies. What this shows you is in my area we got every song that was released in England-even crap like Do The Freddie by Freddie and the Dreamers as well as the many one hit wonders and some cool songs like Winchester Cathedral Whistling and Jack Smith's "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman". With the exception of the great Motown stuff when it came to our NYC AM radio  playlist we here in NJ and NYC were essentially England West.

A few years ago I started working on downloading the Top 100 hits of each year starting in 1960I was surprised to see so many songs that I never heard on the list-especially all of these Presley songs. They just were NEVER played by Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram, Scott Muni or Murray the K. For me and my cousins and my Big Sister (it was always good to have older sibs in the house to turn you on to the new stuff out there)Elvis Presley was something that was old and obsolete by the time that The Beatles stepped off that plane at LaGuardia in Feb of 1963. In fact I swear I don't remember hearing and new releases from The King until In The Ghetto and Suspicious Minds. I remember really listening to Suspicious Minds and I loved how it would fade out near the end and then come back in and when the DJ's had the time to do it they'd play the WHOLE record. That's when I realized how good Elvis was and not just an oldies act.

Thanks.  And I hope you know I'm one of your biggest fans here.

I grew up on Staten Island during that same era and listened to all those stations, too.  (Later, WNEW-FM was my temple.)  One of the greatest gifts I ever received was a transistor radio, which was on my bike and never off when I played outside.  It was non-stop pop music from all the DJs you mention.  And as you say, mostly hits from England.

I had the same experience with Elvis: He just seemed like part of the previous generation.  Thought he was more like a star of corny movies than a rock & roller.  I never clicked with the music until decades later, especially when I could appreciate the guitar work of the great James Burton.  

14 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Episode 8-WOW!

Will watch it tonight.   Can't wait.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:45 PM, SoFlaJets said:

Episode 8-WOW!

LOVED it.  Every episode flies by so quickly, leaving the viewer wanting more.  

Just read this piece about the timing of the Joey Gallo hit and the scene from the Godfather Coppola is filming.  I like that they changed the juxtaposition.  Makes it more impactful.

"The assassination attempt on Colombo took place mere blocks away from where The Godfather was filming that day, which happened to be the scene in which Michael Corleane (Al Pacino) was ordering the hits on the five families. Fortunately, the production maintained the support of the Colombo family throughout the rest of production. A year later, Gallo would be gunned down in a restaurant in front of his family with multiple people claiming responsibility."

https://screenrant.com/offer-show-joe-gallo-mob-godfather-connection-explained/

And did you notice the perfect placement of this T. Rex classic?