Goodbye Abraham and take your sacks with you!

The Fat Man

The sack is a glorified tackle. It only helps your team if the same player can stop the run! What good is a sack if on the next play they get a first down because your team constantly could not stop the run.

Who could forget the Oakland Raiders rushing 19 times in one drive to score a touchdown. Where was Abraham then? The Jets have ranked poorly in this defensive category consistently over the last 10 years. I am sick of making heros out of 2nd string running backs.

It was the offensive call on everyones playbook...run to John Abraham's side because he over-pursues! If you look on film he is 10 yards behind the QB on every play.

Comparing Lawrence Taylor and John Abraham just because of this statisitic is baseless. LT stopped the run. LT played more than 10 game per season average in a six year span. LT would never miss a playoff game because of a farking cold. LT liked cocaine..Abraham liked scotchy scotch scotch.

All kidding aside, the Jets just got better. They have some more salary cap room and a 1st round pick that Bradway isn;t around to screw up. Goodbye Mr. Abraham and take your 10 glorified tackles per year with you!

this post is just comical...now the whole defensive collapse was because of Abraham... has nothing to do with DRob and Ellis being invisible, horrible schemes and out of shape athletes. Oh wait Mangini is a proven genius I am sorry..continue on

small point, Fat Man, but teams don't hand the ball off to a RB 3-4 yds behind the LOS, who then needs to go 15-20 yards to the first-down marker, after a sack that dropped them back to 2nd-&-17 or 3rd-& 12. (Only the Jets used to do that, from 2001-2005).

You guys make it sound like Abe was this supreme being of a pass rusher who was always around the qb. The sack is an overrated statistic. Guys who can stop the run and cover people are way more valuable even though they don't get the nice pretty stats Abe got.

I'll take a Troy Polumalu or Shaun Rogers over John Abraham any day of the week. Abe gets 11 sacks, that's 11 plays he broke up. A stud DT like Shaun Rogers or Tommie Harris on the Bears consistently breaks up running plays and occupies multiple offensive linemen.

The thing about John Abraham is that he won't last for much longer in the nfl playing as a DE. He takes a lot of abuse from larger OT's who outweigh him by at least 50-60 lbs. That's why he's been injury prone his entire career. Unless he moves to OLB I don't see him lasting in the nfl past the age of 31.

Hopefully Watson will be there at 29.

Archived