Zach Wilson Highlights - Week 5 - Every Pass vs Dolphins

jetsons

12 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I wish your fellow posters would pay attention to how you analyze Zach. You have never been a fan of drafting him, and you worry about him working out, but your takes are reasonable and it's clear you have no problems as long as the team is heading in the right direction.

Props.

As long as the Jets win, that's all that should matter, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Zach has thrown a couple of swing passes to the inside shoulder where the receiver has to turn his body back to the middle and it looks like poor placement but on those shallow outs it can be good placement depending on CB leverage since it leads to more YAC and is actually an easier ball to catch then the one to the outside shoulder where both your body momentum and ball momentum work against you

Wilson does this all the time, he reads the CB rather than the receiver and outs it where his guy can make the play. If he threw it to those guys on the outside shoulder they would have been blown up instantly 

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

As long as the Jets win, that's all that should matter, right?

Absolutely.  

We also understand how important a qb is long term, today more than ever.  Trent Dilfer, McMahon, Brad Johnson, and Nick Foles have rings. However, are any of those guys franchise qbs in today’s NFL?

Zach needs to help lead us to wins consistently.        

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Can someone explain this play to me? It was the first quarter. I have no idea what the thought was.

Moore and Davis are basically jogging towards the endzone. Garrett Wilson is...a decoy? Just floats off to the side. WTF is this lol

20 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

This honestly is another weird one....Moore is running 25 yards downfield and barely turns around, like he's not expecting anything. 

Without getting into any effort questions (and I have no idea why they lined GW up tight to the line and then had him do nothing?) both of these plays to me represent the next step I want to see Zach take in his development.

The first play should have been 6. Miami drops into Tampa 2, and Moore’s route is going to come open between the 2 safeties and over the dropping LB. Ball should be thrown to the X or around there.

CFC56DFE-4A31-4198-BF4E-AB0EA59D31CC.thumb.jpeg.c9853001b4354bfd42737821a2ba6c4c.jpeg

Stills can be misleading, but watch the video back at the break point and you’ll see there’s a window there for a couple beats where it’s open. The good thing is, Zach reads the coverage correctly, quickly, and gets his eyes from his first read to Moore.

882ED273-871D-46DA-9271-6E41A90C51D9.thumb.jpeg.7968232371e98a81f99f1c0c34dfa269.jpegE6AC8EED-AA27-49F5-B8E4-664083F724F6.thumb.jpeg.e54fbddcad3ac7d8f992f2087fd032dd.jpeg

Again, if you watch the video focusing on Zach’s eyes you’ll see him progress to Moore. But he hesitates, either because of the flashing pressure, or because he’s unsure if he can get it over that Tampa backer. By the time he climbs the pocket to avoid the pressure he has to throw it away.

I really want to see him rip that ball in there. I think he doesn’t because he’s being cautious, and because just last week he threw a 3rd down interception in field goal range. In itself that’s a good thing, progress from last week on situational awareness. And it’s for sure a tough throw. But he absolutely has the ability to make the throw, we’ve seen it, and he can make it in a safe way. The Jets drafted him 2nd overall because he can make those types of throws, and as his confidence grows I want to see him pull the trigger on that.

The second play I’ve referenced a couple of times in different threads, but Zach is late on it. Based on leverage it’s obvious very early in the route that Moore is going to come open. The DB is playing way inside and has his hips towards the middle of the field.

EE92BDB1-50A8-4010-B775-C25C5950423C.thumb.jpeg.5b92e968eaea2fce627e9a50ba4e3381.jpeg

This ball needs to be out at the breakpoint of the route. It’s a little tough because he’s rolling to his left and needs to get his hips around, but right here I want to see him get those feet set and deliver. Instead he keeps rolling and doesn’t release it until we’ll after Moore’s break, where the DB has a chance to recover and the throw needs to be way more precisely located, making Moore have to make a sideline grab. You can say Moore should have made it, but Zach upped the degree of difficulty on both ends substantially by not just letting it rip when he saw it.

I think both of these plays come down to the same thing: trust what you’re seeing and deliver with anticipation and confidence. Zach did a great job in this game of reading of the defense. The dolphins threw a ton of different looks at him and rotated coverages often and he didn’t flinch and didn’t get fooled. The next step is to not fool himself.

15 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Without getting into any effort questions (and I have no idea why they lined GW up tight to the line and then had him do nothing?) both of these plays to me represent the next step I want to see Zach take in his development.

The first play should have been 6. Miami drops into Tampa 2, and Moore’s route is going to come open between the 2 safeties and over the dropping LB. Ball should be thrown to the X or around there.

CFC56DFE-4A31-4198-BF4E-AB0EA59D31CC.thumb.jpeg.c9853001b4354bfd42737821a2ba6c4c.jpeg

Stills can be misleading, but watch the video back at the break point and you’ll see there’s a window there for a couple beats where it’s open. The good thing is, Zach reads the coverage correctly, quickly, and gets his eyes from his first read to Moore.

882ED273-871D-46DA-9271-6E41A90C51D9.thumb.jpeg.7968232371e98a81f99f1c0c34dfa269.jpegE6AC8EED-AA27-49F5-B8E4-664083F724F6.thumb.jpeg.e54fbddcad3ac7d8f992f2087fd032dd.jpeg

Again, if you watch the video focusing on Zach’s eyes you’ll see him progress to Moore. But he hesitates, either because of the flashing pressure, or because he’s unsure if he can get it over that Tampa backer. By the time he climbs the pocket to avoid the pressure he has to throw it away.

I really want to see him rip that ball in there. I think he doesn’t because he’s being cautious, and because just last week he threw a 3rd down interception in field goal range. In itself that’s a good thing, progress from last week on situational awareness. And it’s for sure a tough throw. But he absolutely has the ability to make the throw, we’ve seen it, and he can make it in a safe way. The Jets drafted him 2nd overall because he can make those types of throws, and as his confidence grows I want to see him pull the trigger on that.

The second play I’ve referenced a couple of times in different threads, but Zach is late on it. Based on leverage it’s obvious very early in the route that Moore is going to come open. The DB is playing way inside and has his hips towards the middle of the field.

EE92BDB1-50A8-4010-B775-C25C5950423C.thumb.jpeg.5b92e968eaea2fce627e9a50ba4e3381.jpeg

This ball needs to be out at the breakpoint of the route. It’s a little tough because he’s rolling to his left and needs to get his hips around, but right here I want to see him get those feet set and deliver. Instead he keeps rolling and doesn’t release it until we’ll after Moore’s break, where the DB has a chance to recover and the throw needs to be way more precisely located, making Moore have to make a sideline grab. You can say Moore should have made it, but Zach upped the degree of difficulty on both ends substantially by not just letting it rip when he saw it.

I think both of these plays come down to the same thing: trust what you’re seeing and deliver with anticipation and confidence. Zach did a great job in this game of reading of the defense. The dolphins threw a ton of different looks at him and rotated coverages often and he didn’t flinch and didn’t get fooled. The next step is to not fool himself.

On the first play Zach seemed like he wanted Moore in the second window beyond the linebacker but he gets pressured and slides leading to a throwaway. It’s the same read as the Wilson completion in the fourth quarter against the Steelers where Zach waited for Wilson to clear Minkah before throwing. The issue is the first window to his left opened up and he hesitated. Considering the fact that Zach seems to show improvement rather rapidly he might get this same look this week and make the correction.

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

On the first play Zach seemed like he wanted Moore in the second window beyond the linebacker but he gets pressured and slides leading to a throwaway. It’s the same read as the Wilson completion in the fourth quarter against the Steelers where Zach waited for Wilson to clear Minkah before throwing. The issue is the first window to his left opened up and he hesitated. Considering the fact that Zach seems to show improvement rather rapidly he might get this same look this week and make the correction.

Hmm, that could also explain the hesitation. And he does get the linebacker moving left, so it makes sense. That could be the technically correct play against Tampa 2, when the LB drops deeper. I don't think he had to wait for that here as the LB didn't have enough depth to make a play if he puts it over the top, but I do like that thought process better.

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Seems like Corey Davis was the intended target as he was open, but the rushing defender pulled Zach's left side which redirected the pass left between the two defenders.

37 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Hmm, that could also explain the hesitation. And he does get the linebacker moving left, so it makes sense. That could be the technically correct play against Tampa 2, when the LB drops deeper. I don't think he had to wait for that here as the LB didn't have enough depth to make a play if he puts it over the top, but I do like that thought process better.

I think he preferred the second window throw. It’s easier and has a higher margin of error. If it’s slightly behind Moore it’s not a big deal and if it’s slightly ahead it’s fine too. That first window had to be high, and inside on the LB but still ahead of Moore who’s running to the outside. A tough throw but one that you’d hope Zach can make.