If I were Tangini...

JetsGoFar

I look for the best possible deal to trade down while staying in the top 13.

There's been talk on Jet's boards of the Ravens wanting Vince Young. I say GREAT! and would be in favor of taking their top 3 picks (#13, #45, and #77) in exchange for the #4 pick. Let's see what the best deal is, but for arguments sake, we'll have taken this particular deal.

Here's why: The only players I see that are worthy of a #4 pick for the Jets in this draft are Reggie Bush, Matt Leinert and Mario Williams. Why no D'Brick?

With D'Brick, we can draft a long-armed, athletic, quick footed LT that can help protect our QB for the next decade. He has been groomed with good experience on the college level and comes in ready to start right away. And he could be a great one, even though his run blocking is nowhere near his pass blocking ability in handling speed rushers etc.

Problem: We already have Adrian Jones, who actually has less experience than D'Brick. BUT he has the SAME measurables (height, length, speed), athletic ability, and he's got a great work ethic. For the Jets, even though we were bad last year, to believe so highly in this guy to start him on the O-Line last year after ONE year in the NFL (especially since he played one season in college football as a tackle after being converted from TE) speaks volumes to me. He's known to have an excellent work ethic, and played well last year considering he had to bounce positions like a ping pong ball. First, at left tackle, then to right tackle, then back to left tackle. I guarantee you that if he had been a left tackle his entire career in college, he would've been easily a 1st or 2nd round pick with his measurables and ability...and we would all look to him as our LT for the next decade as well.

SOLUTION: Keep Jones at LT. Keep working with him, and he'll be a great LT for years.

What if the Saints DON'T select Mario Williams?

With Mario Williams, the guy is an absolute BEAST and a FREAK of nature with his measurables. If we do not trade down, this guy is the ONLY reason to stay at #4 in my opinion. He could be the next Julius Peppers.

Problem: The Jets have a lot of potential and talent along the defensive line, yet we don't know how they truly will fit the schemes that Mangini and Co. will install. We also truly need to rebuild the offense with guys in the trenches and adding playmakers. If we added McGinest this offseason, the answer to me would have been easy. TRADE DOWN. But, Williams makes it hard to do if he's available.

SOLUTION: If Williams is available, take him. If not, TRADE DOWN to best available trade that ensures us a TOP 15 pick. None of the other players IMO that are our needs is worth a #4 pick to us (Cutler, D'Brick, AJ Hawk etc.) With a top 15 pick, I'll be more than happy to take the next L.T. in DeAngelo Williams. He's got speed (4.35), shiftiness, durability, heart and professionalism (similar to Curtis) to be the best Jets RB ever.

--------------------

If we were to take a deal like the idea from the Ravens:

We are rebuilding the entire offense, and we need as many picks as possible. I, for one, think the Jets best option for a QB this year is to draft a Brodie Croyle/Omar Jacobs/Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd round while solidifying the rest of the team with as many picks as we can get. While I love the idea of Leinert, I don't think he's worth the extra picks it would take to move up, especially if they think Penny could return and that Ramsey's untapped potential could surface under our new regime. We certainly have 2 extremely motivated QB's in Penny (to save his career and reputation) and Ramsey (who's working on a one-year deal and has a true opportunity here).

To add the #13, #44, and #77 while giving up #4 is a good deal if you can get it in the STRONGEST draft many experts have seen ever if not just a LONGGGGG time.

First Two Rounds

#13: DeAngelo Williams/RB

#29: Nick Mangold/C

#35: Best Available OLB (Lawson, Carpenter, Greenway, DeMeco Ryans)

#44: Ryan O'Callaghan/RT

2006 Jets Offense

QB Penny/Ramsey/3rd round pick

RB Williams/Martin/Houston

FB Askew/Lawton/Draft pick

TE Baker/Dreesen/Lamkin (Jolley traded or released)

LT Jones/Morley/Cavka

LG Kendall/Snell/Nienhuis

C Mangold/Katnik/Missant

RG Moore/Snell/Nienhuis

RT O'Callaghan/Morley/Jones

WR Coles/Dwight

WR Cotchery/McCareins

---------------

On another note, honestly speaking, I have the feeling that Ty Law will somehow be a Jet. With all the cap room we have plus the lack of quality free agents left, I can see him signing a 3 year deal with $10 million guaranteed for about $18 million. I'd do it if I were the Jets. Ty's only gonna be better and Justin Miller can only get better as well.

Sign Ty Law and Sam Adams and call it a day.

3-4

DE Kimo/Robertson

DT Adams/Pouha

DE Ellis/Ball

LB Vilma

LB Barton

LB Hobson/Draft Pick (#35)

LB Thomas

CB Law/Barrett

CB Miller/Strait

SS Maddox/Washington

FS Rhodes/Coleman

4-3

DE Thomas

NT Adams/Pouha

DT Robertson/Kimo

DE Ellis/Ball

LB Vilma

LB Barton

LB Hobson

CB Law

CB Miller

SS Maddox

FS Rhodes

Ty Law will not be a Jet.

He's just looking for another big payday before his career ends. He was overweight all season and he only got INTs because they threw at him without any fear. And Mangini is running a football team, not a retirement seminar with off days and practice excusals.

Better chance of law coming back as a camp coach to help with DBs than as a player.

Archived