****The official Shoulder injury thread****

BP

I couldn’t find the rotator cuff thread so now we have an official one. So my surgically reattached shoulder is doing fantastic at 18 months post surgery. It never even gets sore or cracks anymore. I have 9 titanium anchors and screws in my bones and after debridement (cleaning of dead muscle fiber off the bone) it feels great.

Anyways back in December I was in Florida on vacation and was riding a bike all day going from bar to bar. As I was making my final turn into my friends driveway I got double checked by a car and a golf cart  coming around the corner (no contact, and it was in a gated community) I dropped the bike and landed on my good shoulder (lol the non operated on one). I started rehabbing it in January on my own and it was feeling really good and this week I was benching with dumbbells and when I transitioned the dumbbells from my legs and leaned back on the bench everything was good. Then I turned my wrists with my palms up and heard a loud crunch in my left shoulder (yes I stretched both shoulders before hand) and I finished my set, which was dumb as it was starting to hurt more and more. I iced it and had no problems sleeping that night which was a relief. Still have full range of motion but some areas of rotator cuff are weak. Continuing to do stretching and icing this week and use bands next week. It has gotten a lot better since Monday.

Dr BP thinks he just broke up some scar tissue. I’ll keep my beloved forum/internet friends updated.

Have a good day,

BP

• Upvote 2

Damn dude. Hope it heals up. Very good it’s healing on its own and you still got full ROM. Strength should return, albeit slowly. Keeping your shoulder exercises under 90 degrees (shoulder presses) in the beginning is typically helpful do  to the naturally compressive nature of that exercise. Pulling exercises are typically a nice safe way to add stabilization to the shoulder. Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Damn dude. Hope it heals up. Very good it’s healing on its own and you still got full ROM. Strength should return, albeit slowly. Keeping your shoulder exercises under 90 degrees (shoulder presses) in the beginning is typically helpful do  to the naturally compressive nature of that exercise. Pulling exercises are typically a nice safe way to add stabilization to the shoulder. Good luck. 

Thank you sir! Yes, I’ve been doing bent over rows with no issues. I had no problem doing pushups or bench pressing before Monday too. 

Thank you for the tip

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:20 AM, Beerfish said:

I almost had surgery a number of years ago but the Doc said to try full rehab first and that worked really well.  My shoulder was pretty bad for a few years but I have not had an issue with it for some time now.

It’s all about patience and not over doing it. I went 8 months without being able to sleep. I never want to go through that sh*t again. I ripped the super spanatos right off the bone. So if I lied on my back the pain of gravity would slowly increase to unbearable at about the 30 minute mark. If I sit up the pain would go away. Wound up buying a wedge pillow, still couldn’t sleep

• Upvote 1