PGA Championship 2023

Pretty exciting leaderboard w/ another LIV defector at the top and a polarizing one at that in DeChambeau and #2 in the world in Scheffler.  Should be fun to see what happens today.

Big Justin Rose fan.  I've oddly bumped into him twice during the Players week and he's just pure class, so I always root for him.

Did a little pick 3 game w/ some buddies and took X-man, Finau and DJ. Pretty disappointing other than DJ hanging in there.  lol  Though it looks like the other 2 are making a run today.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:14 AM, JiF said:

Pretty exciting leaderboard w/ another LIV defector at the top and a polarizing one at that in DeChambeau and #2 in the world in Scheffler.  Should be fun to see what happens today.

Big Justin Rose fan.  I've oddly bumped into him twice during the Players week and he's just pure class, so I always root for him.

Did a little pick 3 game w/ some buddies and took X-man, Finau and DJ. Pretty disappointing other than DJ hanging in there.  lol  Though it looks like the other 2 are making a run today.

Hey JiF, your boy Rose is hanging in there.  

I know JiF, pretty cool, hope he makes a run

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

The club pro makes it all worth it!!!!

I played Oak Hill back in 2000 or so. It doesn’t suck.  

But I suck. Just shot a 90 in our club championship round 1. Took an 8 on a par 3. Unsettled me and was tentative all day.  I fukkin hate this game.  

@Green Ghost  @JiF

You don’t suck, ?

You had 1 bad hole. That doesn’t define you or your game. Everyone else in your flight will have bad holes also.
Shake today off, and go out there tomorrow and keep grinding. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from tournament and league play, it’s that every stroke matters. DON’T GIVE UP!
There have been times I’ve thought I’d shot myself out of a tournament, and because I kept grinding I ended up either winning or with a good chance to, assuming the tournament is flighted properly.

@southparkcpa the thing I hated about your post was you saying that one bad hole “unsettled you and made you tentative all day.” That’s just you making excuses.

I’ll be willing to bet that you threw away at least 4-5 strokes after that bad hole because you were either feeling sorry for yourself or no longer had the desire to compete the way you know you can. If you had kept grinding and finished with an 85 or 86, I’ll bet you’d be feeling a lot better about yourself and your chances tomorrow.
How many times you’ve seen a pro on Friday afternoon birdie 17 or 18 even though they had no chance to make the cut? They do that for 3 reasons.
1. They’re really good  2. They’re able to put a bad hole  or swing behind them, and think only about their next shot. 3. They’re not wired to give up over a shot. Ever. 

Sports expose our weaknesses, and golf is a game where you’re all alone out there. It’s a game you can’t beat, but (this is something my old college baseball coach told me) “don’t let the game beat you.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The club pro makes it all worth it!!!!

I played Oak Hill back in 2000 or so. It doesn’t suck.  

But I suck. Just shot a 90 in our club championship round 1. Took an 8 on a par 3. Unsettled me and was tentative all day.  I fukkin hate this game.  

@Green Ghost  @JiF

All that work I put into get the game right is out the window with the new born.  Playing tomorrow for the first time in over a month and only lime the second in 6 weeks.  I expect a disaster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@southparkcpa the thing I hated about your post was you saying that one bad hole “unsettled you and made you tentative all day.” That’s just you making excuses.

I’ll be willing to bet that you threw away at least 4-5 strokes after that bad hole because you were either feeling sorry for yourself or no longer had the desire to compete the way you know you can. If you had kept grinding and finished with an 85 or 86, I’ll bet you’d be feeling a lot better about yourself and your chances tomorrow.
How many times you’ve seen a pro on Friday afternoon birdie 17 or 18 even though they had no chance to make the cut? They do that for 3 reasons.
1. They’re really good  2. They’re able to put a bad hole  or swing behind them, and think only about their next shot. 3. They’re not wired to give up over a shot. Ever. 

Sports expose our weaknesses, and golf is a game where you’re all alone out there. It’s a game you can’t beat, but (this is something my old college baseball coach told me) “don’t let the game beat you.”

I need you on the course w/ me.  This is some great advice.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m pulling for Koepka.  I was in St Augustine last week. Never been before. Pretty nice town to escape for a few days.  

I got married in St. Aug and was there for Mother’s Day.  

• Post of the Week 1

I live 10 mins from Oak Hill.  Was there on Thursday before the block party but I sat behind the 8th tee and was within a couple feet  and watched scheffler,  Brooks, rory, Jordan, moikawa, JT, etc tee off.  The way the ball explodes off their driver is incredible.  Soooo fking far.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Guys been great. Such a fun personality too.

@southparkcpa 

He got sponsor invites to next week at Colonial and the Canadien Open the following week while having a drink in the clubhouse.

Guys, i don’t know how to inbed a video, but you have to find the video he did a while ago promoting his home course. It’s phenomenal.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Pac said:

I live 10 mins from Oak Hill.  Was there on Thursday before the block party but I sat behind the 8th tee and was within a couple feet  and watched scheffler,  Brooks, rory, Jordan, moikawa, JT, etc tee off.  The way the ball explodes off their driver is incredible.  Soooo fking far.  

It's really incredible, the way they make it look so effortless too.  Unreal.  That one Par 3 was playing 230/40?  Lmfao, I'm choking up on a driver at that distance, these guys had 5/4 irons, maybe a hybrid for the shorter guys.  That's bonkers, it's a different sport.  lol 

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@southparkcpa 

He got sponsor invites to next week at Colonial and the Canadien Open the following week while having a drink in the clubhouse.

Guys, i don’t know how to inbed a video, but you have to find the video he did a while ago promoting his home course. It’s phenomenal.

10 hours ago, Pac said:

At my club... we have about 2 kids each year go D1 golf. They hit the ball 325, their 3 iron is 240.  It's a different game they play.  NONE of them , in my 15 years at this club, made any professional appearances. Golf may be the hardest game to make it professionally.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pac said:

You remember Montana Mills Bread company???  

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You remember Montana Mills Bread company???  

Yes fantastic!  Rochester catches a lot of flak but other than a couple months of frigid weather I love it here. Town I live in has twice been on top 10 places to live in country.  Not because it's affluent but they factor crime, schools, traffic, scenery etc. 

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Yes fantastic!  Rochester catches a lot of flak but other than a couple months of frigid weather I love it here. Town I live in has twice been on top 10 places to live in country.  Not because it's affluent but they factor crime, schools, traffic, scenery etc. 

The former owners are friends of mine and clients. I have been to Rochester a LOT.   Almost moved to Pittsford in the 90's.   

23 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The former owners are friends of mine and clients. I have been to Rochester a LOT.   Almost moved to Pittsford in the 90's.   

Cool I'm next town over in fairport /perinton couple minutes from eastview mall. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, JiF said:

All that work I put into get the game right is out the window with the new born.  Playing tomorrow for the first time in over a month and only lime the second in 6 weeks.  I expect a disaster. 

I tired to warn you... now have 2 or 3 more. ha. 

a month off shouldn't be too bad in comparison to my situation. 

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

I tired to warn you... now have 2 or 3 more. ha. 

a month off shouldn't be too bad in comparison to my situation. 

Ha!  And ofcourse, I actually played really well after that post.  Shot a 78.  I have played 4 times since and havent gone below 83 including a 91.  lol  Granted the 91 was on one of the hardest courses I've ever played w/ 30-40 mph winds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Ha!  And ofcourse, I actually played really well after that post.  Shot a 78.  I have played 4 times since and havent gone below 83 including a 91.  lol  Granted the 91 was on one of the hardest courses I've ever played w/ 30-40 mph winds.

im jealous... im happy just to get 6- greens in reg in a round and get to 95 anymore... im the most consistently inconsistent golfer in the world right now (I know not realistically, or actually, but im shot). Had to get a new driver and the newer one is slightly lower profile than my last so my tee hight has to change, the ball flight doesn't look right.. distance can be 250 - 285. just get me on the green and let me 2 putt. ha

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Stark said:

im jealous... im happy just to get 6- greens in reg in a round and get to 95 anymore... im the most consistently inconsistent golfer in the world right now (I know not realistically, or actually, but im shot). Had to get a new driver and the newer one is slightly lower profile than my last so my tee hight has to change, the ball flight doesn't look right.. distance can be 250 - 285. just get me on the green and let me 2 putt. ha

IMHO technology matters most in your driver, getting a fitted one has changed my game. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

IMHO technology matters most in your driver, getting a fitted one has changed my game. 

yeah that made a big difference for me a few years ago... im essentially using the same shaft and grip but the driver profile I need to play more with to be more comfortable... I hit a few routine fly balls off the tee and was like where the hell did that gap wedge come from..