Do You Barbecue/Smoke?

Just a dry rub.   Smokehouse Rub by Primal Palate, salt.
Cooked at 225 for about 8-9 hours, with a mix of charcoaled wood and pecan.   After 9 hours, wrapped in butcher paper, cooked for another 2-3 hours.  Let rest in the cooler for another 3 hours.
17 pounder, cooked from about 10 last night till 11ish this morning.
I was referring to after it was cooked. How do you serve it?

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:
12 minutes ago, chirorob said:
Just a dry rub.   Smokehouse Rub by Primal Palate, salt.
Cooked at 225 for about 8-9 hours, with a mix of charcoaled wood and pecan.   After 9 hours, wrapped in butcher paper, cooked for another 2-3 hours.  Let rest in the cooler for another 3 hours.
17 pounder, cooked from about 10 last night till 11ish this morning.

I was referring to after it was cooked. How do you serve it?

On a plate.  :)

No sauce, just dry.   The meat was really moist, great smoke.  Now, tomorrow ill make breakfast tacos with it and some scrambled eggs.

For sliders, I like Hawaii Buns with a chipotle lime mayo.

• Sympathy 1

On 6/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, bicketybam said:

Man I though this would get some of you fat bastard's juices flowing. I am disappoint.

That is an incredible setup you have there. What state do you live in? Looks great.

• Sympathy 1

Doing a Hawaiian themed meal for the 4th with extended family. Have kalua pork in the smoker, will put on huli huli chicken on the grill later.

It's going along with mac salad, rice, kale salad, pineapple slaw and I made passionfruit-guava-orange juice to make tiki drinks. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

All set for my annual 4th of July party. 13 pound brisket, 7.5 pound pork butt and a $1200 worth of fireworks!

Worst part of the brisket is the timing. First brisket I ever did took like 20 hours. Everyone since has been half that time. I've read that it's 1.5 hours per pound at 200 degrees so that would put me at roughly 16 hours (I trimmed almost 2 pounds of fat.) Then there is at least 2 hours of rest in the cambro. That would put the start time at 10 pm tonight to have it ready to serve at 4 pm tomorrow. Seems early to start it and this is why brisket always gives me anxiety. I had one finish at like 9 am and people were due until 2 pm, lol.b3fb0769483d57826696ecb901b3ff55.jpga68ba2ce0eeb791a8e5ebc3138af3cd3.jpg8e152c842b989a8b1476df9ace0d3808.jpg

• Upvote 1

I started my kamado at 9 and had the brisket on at 10 pm. Went to bed and got up around 1 to spray it. Temp at that point was close to where I would usually wrap but I didn't want it finishing at 5 am. So I didn't wrap. It hit 190 degrees by 6 am and then just sat there until I decided to wrap it around 10:30. By 11:30 it was at 203 so now it's resting until I serve it

I started the pork butt at 7 am in my Traeger pellet smoker. I'm hoping that is ready around 4 pm.

I want a good smoker, but I can't justify some of the prices these things go for. I refuse to buy Weber ffs because every Char Broil I've had has been great for 1/4 the price. I'll have to look for a lesser brand that's probably manufactured in the same place. 😆 

Plus, some of the best BBQ I've ever had was done in an old 55 gallon drum or other random build.

• Sympathy 1

On 7/7/2023 at 3:36 PM, bicketybam said:

All set for my annual 4th of July party. 13 pound brisket, 7.5 pound pork butt and a $1200 worth of fireworks!

Worst part of the brisket is the timing. First brisket I ever did took like 20 hours. Everyone since has been half that time. I've read that it's 1.5 hours per pound at 200 degrees so that would put me at roughly 16 hours (I trimmed almost 2 pounds of fat.) Then there is at least 2 hours of rest in the cambro. That would put the start time at 10 pm tonight to have it ready to serve at 4 pm tomorrow. Seems early to start it and this is why brisket always gives me anxiety. I had one finish at like 9 am and people were due until 2 pm, lol.b3fb0769483d57826696ecb901b3ff55.jpga68ba2ce0eeb791a8e5ebc3138af3cd3.jpg8e152c842b989a8b1476df9ace0d3808.jpg

Agreed on brisket.  Feels like every one Ive done can vary widely in how long they take.  I try to start them early, and then wrap with towels and hold in a cooler as needed. They're done when they're done and they can take their sweet time.

• Sympathy 1

Agreed on brisket.  Feels like every one Ive done can vary widely in how long they take.  I try to start them early, and then wrap with towels and hold in a cooler as needed. They're done when they're done and they can take their sweet time.
This was the finished product. The very end of the flat was dry but I knew that was going to be the case going in. For the next one, I'm going to smoke it at 250 and see if I can get a firmer bark.

The pulled pork was a complete fail. It stalled at 160 and I wrapped it in butcher's paper. It sat at 160 for another 3 hours and I just pulled the plug. I'll wrap it in foil next time. I think my wrap job wasn't very good.c9639553d11a1835bff431f6abfd1702.jpg
  • Upvote 1

I want a good smoker, but I can't justify some of the prices these things go for. I refuse to buy Weber ffs because every Char Broil I've had has been great for 1/4 the price. I'll have to look for a lesser brand that's probably manufactured in the same place.  

Plus, some of the best BBQ I've ever had was done in an old 55 gallon drum or other random build.

You can definitely make one out of a 55 gallon drum. You can also find used offset smokers for decent prices if you look around. I just can't commit to staying up all night feeding logs into one.

And for the record, I've never had a Char Broil that could outlast a Weber. They always rust apart while a Weber will last forever. Just my experience. I've probably owned 4 Char Broils in my life. Maybe they've upped the quality.
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You can definitely make one out of a 55 gallon drum. You can also find used offset smokers for decent prices if you look around. I just can't commit to staying up all night feeding logs into one.

And for the record, I've never had a Char Broil that could outlast a Weber. They always rust apart while a Weber will last forever. Just my experience. I've probably owned 4 Char Broils in my life. Maybe they've upped the quality.

I can buy 3 char broils for the cost of an equivalent Weber... 😆 

Kind of like how my 2015 Taurus with the Police Interceptor engine will smoke cars 4x the cost... and cut them in half in an accident... 💥 

I can buy 3 char broils for the cost of an equivalent Weber...  

Kind of like how my 2015 Taurus with the Police Interceptor engine will smoke cars 4x the cost... and cut them in half in an accident...  
I agree about the Weber cost but a Weber will outlast 5 Char Broils.

I've been through a bunch of gas grills. I've got 35 year of gas grill experience. I'm not trying to be an elitist prick. It's just my experience.

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I agree about the Weber cost but a Weber will outlast 5 Char Broils.

I've been through a bunch of gas grills. I've got 35 year of gas grill experience. I'm not trying to be an elitist prick. It's just my experience.

LOL, I'm not insinuating that you're being elitist at all, brother! Trust me, there's plenty of stuff I am VERY particular about.. DeWalt tools, Texas Barbell (especially Deadlifting Bars), Heckler and Koch, Sutphen Fire Trucks, etc. 

I've just found it hard to justify buying a Weber. Kind of like how I managed to get out of the Army AND 20+ years of the Fire Service without a single Tattoo. I'm not against it, and I always thought getting the Irish Brigade Flag or my old Regimental Crest would be cool ink, but then I think about all of the other things I can do with a couple of thousand dollars and dismiss the thought. 😆 

LOL, I'm not insinuating that you're being elitist at all, brother! Trust me, there's plenty of stuff I am VERY particular about.. DeWalt tools, Texas Barbell (especially Deadlifting Bars), Heckler and Koch, Sutphen Fire Trucks, etc. 

I've just found it hard to justify buying a Weber. Kind of like how I managed to get out of the Army AND 20+ years of the Fire Service without a single Tattoo. I'm not against it, and I always thought getting the Irish Brigade Flag or my old Regimental Crest would be cool ink, but then I think about all of the other things I can do with a couple of thousand dollars and dismiss the thought.  
It's all good

An entry level Weber is like $550. They last forever. Trust me
  • Post of the Week 1

I justify the cost of my pellet smoker by basically using it for everything. Hell, I did a ham on it last week, rather than using the oven inside.  Made steaks and baked potatoes last night, just seared them at the end. Extremely versatile tools. 

• Sympathy 1

• 4 weeks later...