Do You Barbecue/Smoke?

I have a Primo XXL for smoking or steaks, and Blackstone for smash burgers, I'm doing a Brisket for the 4th of July weekend.  

Good friend of ours owns a ranch, we just put in an order for an entire Grass Fed, Grass Finished Moo Cow.  This is the 3rd time we have ordered from their ranch, first a half cow, then a whole and now another whole cow.

I'll send some pics later (at work)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I have a Primo XXL for smoking or steaks, and Blackstone for smash burgers, I'm doing a Brisket for the 4th of July weekend.  
Good friend of ours owns a ranch, we just put in an order for an entire Grass Fed, Grass Finished Moo Cow.  This is the 3rd time we have ordered from their ranch, first a half cow, then a whole and now another whole cow.
I'll send some pics later (at work)
I really haven't found a decent butcher near me so I use Wild Fork. I have a 13 lb brisket for my Julorth party fa85de2327c8be4e74d57d019e5734d1.jpg
  • Upvote 2

I wash dishes.  My wife cooks on the barbecue and the green egg.  Love when she stokes the green egg up in the morning and smokes something on it for 12 to 14 hours.  Steak, ribs, chicken, brats.  The green egg when properly used is pretty awesome.   High sear and long slow smoke.   Don't use it enough.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Man I though this would get some of you fat bastard's juices flowing. I am disappoint.

lol

I have a Green Egg.  I've smoked everything under the sun.  Most recent was my favorite, I think but I smoked a rib a roast and it was ridiculously good w/ my homemade au jus and horseradish sauce. 

We are having a house full of people over for the 4th, I'll do my famous pulled pork and my extra special smoked wings. 

My father in law wants a smoked brisket for his bday and this year we are going to smoke and deep fry our turkey's for Thanksgiving. 

• Upvote 1

I wash dishes.  My wife cooks on the barbecue and the green egg.  Love when she stokes the green egg up in the morning and smokes something on it for 12 to 14 hours.  Steak, ribs, chicken, brats.  The green egg when properly used is pretty awesome.   High sear and long slow smoke.   Don't use it enough.

lol
I have a Green Egg.  I've smoked everything under the sun.  Most recent was my favorite, I think but I smoked a rib a roast and it was ridiculously good w/ my homemade au jus and horseradish sauce. 
We are having a house full of people over for the 4th, I'll do my famous pulled pork and my extra special smoked wings. 
My father in law wants a smoked brisket for his bday and this year we are going to smoke and deep fry our turkey's for Thanksgiving. 

The Green Egg was the first commercially successful kamado, but when it comes to smoking the Kamado Joe is superior due to the slo-roller insert. Up until it's introduction, smoking meat in a kamado was no where near as good as a traditional smoker. I'm not sure if the Green Egg has come out with a similar accessory but I would definitely look into it. It makes a huge difference.

I also bought a Traeger for those times when I want to smoke multiple items but the Traeger doesn't give as good a smoke flavor as the kamado. It is much easier to use though. There is definitely a learning curve for the kamado style ovens but that's one of the things I love about it.

I wish I never got the gas grill. It's a bitch to clean and I'd rather cook anything else in my Big Joe with the exception of burgers and dogs.

You guys ever make pig shots?

On 6/26/2023 at 5:12 PM, bicketybam said:

Does anyone like to barbecue and/or smoke food? I built an outdoor kitchen in a few years ago when I rebuilt my deck. The underneath of the deck became my outdoor kitchen area and it's pretty much protected from the rain (it's pouring right now.) I did a sink/bar station, griddle, power burner, kamado, gas grill, two tap kegerator, ice maker and fridge. It also has a pull out garbage receptacle. I've got plenty of outlets and USB ports plus a 65" TV for the games.

I love smoking briskets, pork butts, chicken, etc. I probably use my kamado the most. Who else likes the meats?! 38056a9e675da4322ee01f3c20224a2e.jpgac3df60ed19e84ba14902a05c63f1e67.jpgedd61e011bd52d8960c370e10f575c64.jpgff6595e4b4dcfbec2ba2e8d52065bce6.jpg

That looks awesome...  in many municipalities that wouldn't pass code. A fire grill below a deck.    Looks great though.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

2 hours ago, JiF said:

lol

Im starting a huge project on my house...  normally I don't barbecue much but all this talk about the egg, I think I'll start it.  My project starts 7/5 and should be done in late October. Yes... long time. Then I'll buy an egg.

I've used all sorts of smokers, from stick burners to propane to my current setup, which is a pellet smoker. Having used all sorts of other smokers, I went with convenience as Ive gotten older and busier. I've done brisket, pulled pork, pork and beef ribs, whole chickens, wings, turkey, you name it. 

I've made pig shots, they are usually a big hit. My MIL always requests them.

Smoked cream cheese is a fun appetizer, as well as smoked queso dip. 

Part of the fun is trying new things. The next thing on my bucket list is doing a Thor's Hammer - a smoked, frenched beef shank. Similar I suppose to a tomahawk steak - probably overpriced but it looks cool to do once in a while :)

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, bicketybam said:

The Green Egg was the first commercially successful kamado, but when it comes to smoking the Kamado Joe is superior due to the slo-roller insert. Up until it's introduction, smoking meat in a kamado was no where near as good as a traditional smoker. I'm not sure if the Green Egg has come out with a similar accessory but I would definitely look into it. It makes a huge difference.

I also bought a Traeger for those times when I want to smoke multiple items but the Traeger doesn't give as good a smoke flavor as the kamado. It is much easier to use though. There is definitely a learning curve for the kamado style ovens but that's one of the things I love about it.

I wish I never got the gas grill. It's a bitch to clean and I'd rather cook anything else in my Big Joe with the exception of burgers and dogs.

You guys ever make pig shots?

The Green Egg does have a slow-roller insert eggcessory.  That's the one thing that does stink about the Green Egg is every eggcessory is sold separately, designed specifically for the Green Egg, so it gets excessive after a while but they're all completely worth it IMO.  You cant really smoke w/ out the slow-roll insert, so that's a must.  Then, they have an Eggnitor which is so much faster to get the coal's hot...not quite as fast as gas but almost.  Then I bought the Eggulator vent which controls the smoke more efficiently for a regular grilling.  Then I bought the Egg Genius which control the pit temp and monitors the meat temp on an app, which is a game changer on smokes because you kind of have to constantly monitor a smoke w/out it.  Now I can set that thing and go surf, play golf, do an over nighter, whatever and I know it's good to go.   Finally, we got a pizza stone for a present and I'm not even sure if it's green egg but I assume it is.   At the end of the day, once you get all the stuff, lol, it's almost not quite, as easy as the Traeger.  But I agree, I think the flavor is better. 

There is 100% a learning curve and @southparkcpa I wasnt much of a griller/smoker until I bought one and now I'm obsessed.  I had gas grills but living at the beach, the salt air would eat those things alive, they were basically a waste of money and the flavor isnt even comparable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I've used all sorts of smokers, from stick burners to propane to my current setup, which is a pellet smoker. Having used all sorts of other smokers, I went with convenience as Ive gotten older and busier. I've done brisket, pulled pork, pork and beef ribs, whole chickens, wings, turkey, you name it. 
I've made pig shots, they are usually a big hit. My MIL always requests them.
Smoked cream cheese is a fun appetizer, as well as smoked queso dip. 
Part of the fun is trying new things. The next thing on my bucket list is doing a Thor's Hammer - a smoked, frenched beef shank. Similar I suppose to a tomahawk steak - probably overpriced but it looks cool to do once in a while default_smile.png

I really like my Traeger grill. It doesn't get much easier when it comes to smoking. I usually cook ribs on it while I do the brisket on the Kamado. I do need to add that accessory that let you know when the pellet hopper is low because I've run it out in the past.
  • Upvote 1

The Green Egg does have a slow-roller insert eggcessory.  That's the one thing that does stink about the Green Egg is every eggcessory is sold separately, designed specifically for the Green Egg, so it gets excessive after a while but they're all completely worth it IMO.  You cant really smoke w/ out the slow-roll insert, so that's a must.  Then, they have an Eggnitor which is so much faster to get the coal's hot...not quite as fast as gas but almost.  Then I bought the Eggulator vent which controls the smoke more efficiently for a regular grilling.  Then I bought the Egg Genius which control the pit temp and monitors the meat temp on an app, which is a game changer on smokes because you kind of have to constantly monitor a smoke w/out it.  Now I can set that thing and go surf, play golf, do an over nighter, whatever and I know it's good to go.   Finally, we got a pizza stone for a present and I'm not even sure if it's green egg but I assume it is.   At the end of the day, once you get all the stuff, lol, it's almost not quite, as easy as the Traeger.  But I agree, I think the flavor is better. 
There is 100% a learning curve and [mention=7292]southparkcpa[/mention] I wasnt much of a griller/smoker until I bought one and now I'm obsessed.  I had gas grills but living at the beach, the salt air would eat those things alive, they were basically a waste of money and the flavor isnt even comparable. 

I have the Kamado Joe Big Joe II. It came with some upgraded accessories but not the slo-roller. The Big Joe III comes with it and that's what I should have bought. I really didn't know much when I sourced my outdoor kitchen.

Regarding your Eggcessories, a local BBQ talked me into that Green Egg ignitor that looks like a glorified hair dryer. What a complete waste of money. It takes forever to get a fire going! I went Home Depot and bought a propane torch. Cost me $30 and works like a champ

For Christmas my wife bought me the DōJoe, which is their pizza making insert and stone. I had a pizza party for my birthday 5 days later and it worked very well. I even made my own dough. The pizza cooks really quick but the whole process was very straight forward. One of the things I love about kamado style grills is how versatile they are. You can cook from as low as 200 degrees all the way up to 900. If I could only own one outdoor cooking appliance, it would be a kamado, hands down.

Kamado Joe makes a temp control unit and just recently came out with an automated temp controlled Kamado (similar to a Traeger.) It's super pricey and for me it's not worth the money. The reviews on the the temp controller accessory for the regular BJ kamaodo are mixed and I actually bought one from Amazon and returned it before I even tried it.

If you don't have the Meater temperature probes, I'd highly recommend it: https://store-us.meater.com/products/meater-block

When I do an overnight brisket I use that and set the app to alert me if temps go too high or low. I've really got the settings for the top and lower vent down to a science now. I know exactly what to set them to for 220 and the Kamado Joe does an excellent job of holding it. Also, the Big Joe can hold enough wood charcoal for well over 24 hours at 220.

You have a really nice set up. The pool is awesome. Unfortunately I couldn't put one in my back yard due to my septic and leeching fields. The spa was the next best thing. I'm definitely jealous!

48 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Regarding your Eggcessories, a local BBQ talked me into that Green Egg ignitor that looks like a glorified hair dryer. What a complete waste of money. It takes forever to get a fire going! I went Home Depot and bought a propane torch. Cost me $30 and works like a champ emoji106.png

lmfao, mine works great!  From time to time it does get over heated, especially during the summer and then it's a pain but I'll just kindle w/ something and then use it over it and it's fine.  A torch though is a good investment, solid call there, I'm going to look into that for sure.

lmfao, mine works great!  From time to time it does get over heated, especially during the summer and then it's a pain but I'll just kindle w/ something and then use it over it and it's fine.  A torch though is a good investment, solid call there, I'm going to look into that for sure.
Are we talking about the same thing? It's truly horrible compared to just about anything other than matches

This is the torch I got. The canisters last a very only time and are cheap to replace. Give it a go.007962b23326f386ff621e2e24aa6a29.jpg28e42d2c8a9b72f2041a3007fe718c57.jpg

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Are we talking about the same thing? It's truly horrible compared to just about anything other than matchesemoji28.png

This is the torch I got. The canisters last a very only time and are cheap to replace. Give it a go.007962b23326f386ff621e2e24aa6a29.jpg28e42d2c8a9b72f2041a3007fe718c57.jpg

Yes, that's it.  lol  Mine works fine.  I would suspect the torch works better.  

• Sympathy 1

The outdoor kitchen setup is my dream. I just sunk money into a new pool and patio so funds arent there at the moment, but the plus side is the new larger patio gives me more room for that in the future.

I was listening to Malcolm Reeds BBQ podcast, and they were talking about these, which are pretty sweet - https://www.grillagrills.com/outdoor-kitchen-island

• Sympathy 1

The outdoor kitchen setup is my dream. I just sunk money into a new pool and patio so funds arent there at the moment, but the plus side is the new larger patio gives me more room for that in the future.
I was listening to Malcolm Reeds BBQ podcast, and they were talking about these, which are pretty sweet - https://www.grillagrills.com/outdoor-kitchen-island
Right now, I just have the pellet smoker, with these https://www.grillgrate.com/ for steaks and burgers, and I also have a (rarely used) flattop insert for it as well.  Along with another table on which I use my other, new obsession, my Ooni pizza oven. 
I used https://www.bbqguys.com for my build. They provide the planning free of charge but probably rape you on what you buy. The prefab island pieces were a huge bonus...super easy to build and then you just need a mason to lay the flat stone.

I sent them some pictures along with the dimensions and they did the rest. I also listed all of the cooking appliances that I wanted as well as refrigerators and kegerator. It took a few weeks of back and forth for them to get me a plan that I liked. Once they did they gave me a quote for everything that I needed. My contractor had never done an outdoor kitchen before but he had no issues building it. I would definitely recommend them.
  • Upvote 1

What do you use for wood charcoal? I prefer big chunks for the long cooks but lately the big block bags I usually order have been reduced to rubble. Very disappointed.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:25 PM, BeaconJet said:

Right now, I just have the pellet smoker, with these https://www.grillgrate.com/ for steaks and burgers, and I also have a (rarely used) flattop insert for it as well.  Along with another table on which I use my other, new obsession, my Ooni pizza oven. 

I've got a new pellet grill getting delivered Thursday and was looking into the grillgrates for steaks/burgers like you said. What do you think of them? Do they get hot enough?

Nice work, and now you can tell her to get out of your kitchen... Presuming the inside one is hers of course.
My wife knows I'm the guy when it comes to barbecue She wants no part of it. She's an amazing cook for everything else though
  • Upvote 1

Looks great! Do you do barbecue sauce or the Carolina vinegar based sauces. I'm a fan of both. I actually make my own sauces. It's not hard at all.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Looks great! Do you do barbecue sauce or the Carolina vinegar based sauces. I'm a fan of both. I actually make my own sauces. It's not hard at all.

Just a dry rub.   Smokehouse Rub by Primal Palate, salt.

Cooked at 225 for about 8-9 hours, with a mix of charcoaled wood and pecan.   After 9 hours, wrapped in butcher paper, cooked for another 2-3 hours.  Let rest in the cooler for another 3 hours.

17 pounder, cooked from about 10 last night till 11ish this morning.

• Sympathy 1