2024 QBs

BCJet

I think its safe to say that Rogers is going to play at least 2 seasons here so we will need to start thinking about a succession plan at QB in this upcoming draft.  Personally I dont see JD taking a QB with our 2nd round pick as he will want to add a potential starter to continue the win now window with Rogers on the team.  After that pick though, I can see us using a mid round pick on someone to develop behind Rogers and this draft seems to have a bunch of guys who wont be in the first round conversation but who could wind up being starters after a year or 2 of development.

(I think the top guys after Caleb and Drake will be some combination of Quinn Ewers, Michael Pennix and Jordan Travis all of who have elite physical skill sets which could easily put them in round 1).

1.  Michael Pratt - Tulane.  Had a huge game vs USC and has really helped turn the Tulane program around.  He plays in a simplified offense but the NFL is starting to move in that direction to an extent and he could be developed in that area behind Rogers.

2.  Bo Nix - Oregon.  I havent watched a lot of him and didnt really see a "pro QB" when he was at Auburn but he is accurate, can run and has excellent arm strength.

3.  Sam Hartman - Notre Dame.  Hartman will be a very old rookie at 24 years old but he has a lot of starting experience. He is a real tough kid but played in a gimmicky offense at Wake so he transferred to ND to show scouts he can play in a more pro-type system.

4. JJ McCarthy - Michigan.  Really good athlete whose stats could be limited due to Michigan's offense but will have 2 years of starting experience in a pro-style offense against tough competition in the Big Ten.

Would really like to see us come out of the draft with one of these guys to sit behind Rogers for a year.  Any other QBs that you guys like in the 3rd or possibly 4th round range?

I think this is an interesting question.  Every year I look for guys like this.  I honestly think that QB is based so much on interviews and watching how they work the chalkboard or film study - which should be part of the interview process.  Watching those stupid Chucky pieces used to make us feel like we know something, but it goes so much deeper that I can never get a very good read on QBs.  I always want a guy with a gun, but interestingly most of the time they go undrafted or so super late that it is obvious that there is a huge flaw in them that can't be overlooked.  Guys that I looked at like that in the past were Mike White (reading about him deeper meant that despite the claims of a big arm, he did have trouble pushing it deep outside the numbers), Tanner Lee (Just watching him you knew he was a turnover machine, but he had an arm) Tyson Bagent (D2 prospect seems on the small side and currently an UDFA with the Bears).  Some guys like Mahomes and Lance fit the profile of what I am looking for, but their traits push them so high that they don't make sense.  The only guy in recent years that I liked what I read about that went in that sweet spot was Desmond Ridder who looks like he wil start for the Falcons after going in the 3rd. 

I think this is a particularly interesting class between the extra year of eligibility and the transfer portal. There are going to be guys who spent a while in college, put up some stats, and won some games - plus obviously the Williams/Maye group and then the Ewers/McCarthy types with upside. Think a team might be able to find a Dak, Russell Wilson, Cousins type this year.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this is an interesting question.  Every year I look for guys like this.  I honestly think that QB is based so much on interviews and watching how they work the chalkboard or film study - which should be part of the interview process.  Watching those stupid Chucky pieces used to make us feel like we know something, but it goes so much deeper that I can never get a very good read on QBs.  I always want a guy with a gun, but interestingly most of the time they go undrafted or so super late that it is obvious that there is a huge flaw in them that can't be overlooked.  Guys that I looked at like that in the past were Mike White (reading about him deeper meant that despite the claims of a big arm, he did have trouble pushing it deep outside the numbers), Tanner Lee (Just watching him you knew he was a turnover machine, but he had an arm) Tyson Bagent (D2 prospect seems on the small side and currently an UDFA with the Bears).  Some guys like Mahomes and Lance fit the profile of what I am looking for, but their traits push them so high that they don't make sense.  The only guy in recent years that I liked what I read about that went in that sweet spot was Desmond Ridder who looks like he wil start for the Falcons after going in the 3rd. 

I do think physical traits are emphasized way too much with young QBs, but truthfully there is just no formula that works for everyone, which is why its so hard to find these QBs.  

Overall I sincerely hope that JD follows the zach mistake with more of a Phila/Baltimore philosophy of building the roster by picking non-QBs in the first round and then taking swings in the middle rounds or even late first.  If you look at all the QBs drafted in the top 10, outside of the cant miss #1 overall guys like Lawerence, Luck, Stafford, or even Burrow - there is no better chance of hitting on a guy in the top 5 then there is hitting on a guy in picks 5-75.  Its far better to get your LT, DE or CB when youre picking high and then keep taking shots on developing a QB.

I do think the rule changes that favor the offense, coupled with so many elite athletes playing the WR position, will allow teams to be successful with tough, accurate QBs who can deliver the ball on time.  There will always be guys like Herbert who are 6'5 and can really sling it but I do think the Mac Jones of the world will be able to win games in the NFL up until they face legitimate defenses in the playoffs - then it will get interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...