Which Jets Players were the Biggest Winners or Biggest Losers in the 2024 Draft?

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

JFM took a big pay cut. Was set to earn around 13-14, now making around 7. He shouldn’t be on the winners list lol.

There was 0% chance he would make $13 million with the Jets next year 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

JFM took a big pay cut. Was set to earn around 13-14, now making around 7. He shouldn’t be on this list lol.

He already got s new contract with Denver. 2 years $15 million with 10 million guaranteed. He is a winner.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Izzy rb 4?  That is laughable.

Honestly, after Breece Hall, I don't know who will end up being rb #2, 3 and 4.

If you have a crystal ball, please let me know what you know.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

There was 0% chance he would make $13 million with the Jets next year 

He was scheduled to make that, instead he got traded and got his salary cut in half. The chances he was getting that or not doesn’t really matter. The contract he had was the contract he had. I’m sure he would have rather been cut before free agency started in a perfect world. He kind of got screwed, missed out on hitting free agency. It’s great he got a 2 year deal but you think he’s happy he isn’t playing his contract out with the jets?

Just now, extmenace said:

He was scheduled to make that, instead he got traded and got his salary cut in half. The chances he was getting that or not doesn’t really matter. The contract he had was the contract he had. He also kind of got screwed, missed out on hitting free agency. It’s great he got a 2 year deal but you think he’s happy he isn’t playing his contract out with the jets?

He’s a helluva lot happier with what he got in Denver than he would have been getting cut post June 1. He almost certainly had to agree to the sign and trade deal before it was announced 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

He’s a helluva lot happier with what he got in Denver than he would have been getting cut post June 1. He almost certainly had to agree to the sign and trade deal before it was announced 

He had crappy options. He got the best case crappy option. 

10 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Brownlee is going to have a tough time making this team. Charles is almost a lock, he’s that good on specials.

Does Corley return punts? If so, Gipson might be back on PS

Brownlee might make it… he could be a replacement for MW or Lazard

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I guess we have to wait and see with Williams knee.

Not sure about Corley, I’m sure they’ll try to give him a shot at returning.

• Upvote 2

I guess we have to wait and see with Williams knee.
Not sure about Corley, I’m sure they’ll try to give him a shot at returning.
Corley isn't a speedster. We'll see.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

WINNERS

• QB Aaron Rodgers - Rodgers has to be the biggest winner. Jets added a talented young pass blocker, a playmaking WR, 2 big running backs who can pass block, and a young QB for him to mentor with no threat of competition, Rodgers is the biggest winner by far.
  • DL John Franklin-Myers - Tough old veteran DL got traded to another team where he’ll play more and got a fat new contract to boot.
  • WR Garrett Wilson - Probably would have been even a bigger winner if the team had drafted Rome Odunze or Brock Bowers, but the addition of Malachi Corley will undoubtedly open up some space for the gifted Wilson
  • DL Jalyn Holmes - Jets didn’t draft a defensive lineman and traded Franklin-Myers - Holmes who looked really good in spots last year might be in line to make a much bigger impact in 2024
  • WR Xavier Gipson - Team only drafted 1 WR. Even if they keep Lazard, Gipson has a solid spot on the roster as WR5 and KR1
  • TE Zach Kuntz - Brock Bowers MAY have pushed Kuntz off the Roster, right now at least, the huge and talented but raw Kuntz has every opportunity to come to camp and stamp his name on a roster spot
  • LB Zaire Barnes - Gang Green didn’t draft a LB.  Barnes, who did some good things before getting hurt, appears to have a roster spot locked up right now

LOSERS

• RB Izzy Abanikanda - Started Saturday as RB2, ended the day as RB4. That has to be a kick in the gut. Malachi Corley might even take some snaps out of the backfield that may have gone to Izzy.Still has a chance to earn a roster spot but the path has gotten harder. Right now, he’s the biggest loser.
  • RB Nick Bawden - A tough guy, good teammate, and good blocker, but with 2 BIG RBs added, today may have signaled the beginning of the end for Bawden in Green and White 
  • OL Max Mitchell - Right now he’s OT5. You never want to be OT5.
  • WRs Irving Charles & Jason Brownlee - Adding Corley pushed everyone down a spot. Charles could make the team as a special teamer and Brownlee might be in the running with a great camp, but the odds are at least one or maybe both will be gone. I
  • T Carter Warren - Still a promising young OL but went from OT3 to OT4. Warren will probably have to start backing up Guard as well. Not a disaster, but not great either

Personally, would add JD to the winner's list. Nice job!

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

WINNERS

• QB Aaron Rodgers - Rodgers has to be the biggest winner. Jets added a talented young pass blocker, a playmaking WR, 2 big running backs who can pass block, and a young QB for him to mentor with no threat of competition, Rodgers is the biggest winner by far.
  • DL John Franklin-Myers - Tough old veteran DL got traded to another team where he’ll play more and got a fat new contract to boot.
  • WR Garrett Wilson - Probably would have been even a bigger winner if the team had drafted Rome Odunze or Brock Bowers, but the addition of Malachi Corley will undoubtedly open up some space for the gifted Wilson
  • DL Jalyn Holmes - Jets didn’t draft a defensive lineman and traded Franklin-Myers - Holmes who looked really good in spots last year might be in line to make a much bigger impact in 2024
  • WR Xavier Gipson - Team only drafted 1 WR. Even if they keep Lazard, Gipson has a solid spot on the roster as WR5 and KR1
  • TE Zach Kuntz - Brock Bowers MAY have pushed Kuntz off the Roster, right now at least, the huge and talented but raw Kuntz has every opportunity to come to camp and stamp his name on a roster spot
  • LB Zaire Barnes - Gang Green didn’t draft a LB.  Barnes, who did some good things before getting hurt, appears to have a roster spot locked up right now

LOSERS

• RB Izzy Abanikanda - Started Saturday as RB2, ended the day as RB4. That has to be a kick in the gut. Malachi Corley might even take some snaps out of the backfield that may have gone to Izzy.Still has a chance to earn a roster spot but the path has gotten harder. Right now, he’s the biggest loser.
  • RB Nick Bawden - A tough guy, good teammate, and good blocker, but with 2 BIG RBs added, today may have signaled the beginning of the end for Bawden in Green and White 
  • WRs Irving Charles & Jason Brownlee - Adding Corley pushed everyone down a spot. Charles could make the team as a special teamer and Brownlee might be in the running with a great camp, but the odds are at least one or maybe both will be gone. I
  • T Carter Warren - Still a promising young OL but went from OT3 to OT4. Warren will probably have to start backing up Guard as well. Not a disaster, but not great either

I think this draft said a lot about how they view Izzy and, unfortunately, it's not a good sign.  I think Carter Warren still has a path to being the starting RT next year so I don't really think he counts as a "loser" in the draft.  

Brownlee is the one "scrap heap" WR that I still have some hope for.  I'll probably be wrong about that but, as I've written several times before, he just "looks the part" to me.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Personally, would add JD to the winner's list. Nice job!

I'm not so certain JD won the draft but he had himself a very good offseason overall.  And I do think he set this team up reasonably well going into next year.  The OL could very well have 3 foundational pieces now and, if Malachi Corley turns into a player, that would greatly help the weapinzz.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think Gipson was a big loser over the weekend. Corley took his job on offense. Lazard, who’s only still here because of his $11M guaranteed, probably gets bounced out of the slot entirely and backs up Williams at the X, too. Special teams will likely determine the fates of last year’s UDFA WRs. 

The new kickoff rule is really interesting to me (as well as being convoluted and kinda dumb but also probably safer), I don’t know what teams are going to be looking for in a returner. Do the little speed guys still work in this format? Or do you want a bigger guy who can break a couple tackles and give you consistently good field position, but maybe not be a home run threat? Because that could be Corley’s job, too. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, extmenace said:

He was scheduled to make that, instead he got traded and got his salary cut in half. The chances he was getting that or not doesn’t really matter. The contract he had was the contract he had. I’m sure he would have rather been cut before free agency started in a perfect world. He kind of got screwed, missed out on hitting free agency. It’s great he got a 2 year deal but you think he’s happy he isn’t playing his contract out with the jets?

I listened to JD talk about the trade of JFM, and if I am reading between the lines properly, JD tried to work out a deal with JFM which would have kept him on the team.

In JD's own words, he said that something to the effect of that the sides were too far apart, or we couldn't bridge the gap, when discussing JFM getting traded.

While I love JFM, and he was a solid player, IMO he did not live up to his contract.  The Jets in turn needed to get some cash relief in order to move the team forward and sign some players.  

I believe JFM is worth a 3rd round pick as a trade option, but JD obviously could not get that, and the best he could do was to get a 6th round pick in 2 years.  That does speak volumes, if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alka said:

I believe JFM is worth a 3rd round pick as a trade option, but JD obviously could not get that, and the best he could do was to get a 6th round pick in 2 years.  That does speak volumes, if you ask me.

He got a 6th rounder AND got his salary off our books. Otherwise he was going to have to cut him with nothing in return and eat his dead money in 2024 - which I think would have been about $5 million

• Upvote 2

• The JFM trade was a huge victory.   His dead cap/cash hit was minimized.  
  • JFM has nothing to complain about.  The Jets gave him a chance, re-did his contract mid-season and made him a rich man.  His deal was never supposed to last even as long as last year.   He found a team to split the difference and give him a chance.  
  • The Jets two tackles next year should be Olu and Carter Warren, at a total cost of about $8mm/year.  That should let them keep AR8 around another year, and pay for the guys who are coming due, like Garrett and Sauce.  Breece we will see.  JD should be figuring out how to replace Quinnen when he is movable.  Quinnen will get too expensive.  
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

WINNERS

LOSERS

Thanks Sarge and Roll Tide. I really like Izzy and Warren. Hopefully this will motivate both of them to turn it up a notch in training camp. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

Definitely not RB 4

probably cut because he can’t pass protect 

The pass blocking thing again.  Good grief.

Yeah, no 20 year old rookie has ever improved as a pass blocker.  

This Izzy slander is one of the most embarrassing takes ive seen on this board and thats saying alot.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This Izzy slander is one of the most embarrassing takes ive seen on this board and thats saying alot.

I loved the Izzy pick and really wanted him to succeed but I don't see how we can interpret the moves JD made in the draft as anything other than Izzy is likely gone.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Coming from you that’s a compliment 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Will McDonald. He’ll get more snaps now that JFM is gone. Different styles of play. But he just moved up the depth chart.

Breece Hall. Now has a backup RB who can handle the tough runs. Meaning less hits for him. And fresher legs.

Tony Adams. Thought we might draft a S in tye 4th or so to compete. And we didn’t. So he only has to battle Davis. Not Davis and a rookie. 

• Upvote 2