3. Bills: 1601 pounds - 6th heaviest in the NFL

4. Dolphins: 1587 pounds - 14th heaviest in the NFL

Most athletic unit via their RAS

Division rank-Unit-Combined RAS-NFL rank

AFC East

1. Bills: 44.4 RAS - 3rd highest in the NFL

2. Jets: 43.3 RAS - 6th highest in the NFL

3. Dolphins: 28.0 RAS - 28th highest in the NFL

Both LG Isaiah Wynn and RG Robert Hunt have incomplete RAS.

4. Patriots: 26.4 RAS - 29th highest in the NFL

RG Michael Onwenu has an incomplete RAS

Weight-adjusted RAS ranking

Division rank-team-combined weight/RAS-weight adjusted NFL rank

AFC East

1. Jets: 1629 weight/43.3 RAS = 1st best in the NFL

2. Bills: 1601 weight/44.4 RAS = 2nd best in the NFL

3. Patriots: 1640 weight/26.4 RAS - 13th best in the NFL

4. Dolphins: 1587 weight/28.0 RAS - T-21st best in the NFL

Breakout unit

AFC East

Jets

LT Duane Brown
LG Laken Tomlinson
C Connor McGovern
RG Alijah Vera-Tucker
RT Mekhi Becton

The Jets offensive line is one of the most interesting collections of talent in the NFL for 2023. They are projected to be old (tied for 1st with New England in combined age with McGovern at center) with tons of experience (most combined starts in the NFL by far) and the top weight-adjusted RAS score in the NFL.

The obvious injury risks associated with both starters at tackle makes them such a high variance unit to project for. Duane Brown is an injury risk because he is the oldest starter in the NFL at 38, while Mekhi Becton has only made one start over the last two seasons. But what if those two stay healthy? This unit would have a chance to be one of the most physically imposing in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Senior Bowl stuff.

senior bowl. As in only guys that are participating in the senior bowl. If you don’t see a name of a prospect, that’s why. 

27 OL broken down into tiers with a detailed overview and breakdown of each player by BRANDON THORN

After studying, grading, and writing full scouting reports on every draftable offensive line prospect over the last three drafts, I’m back with Bleacher Report for my fourth year to break down and analyze the 2024 class. Since September 1, I have studied and put initial grades on 40+ OL prospects in the 2024 class with reports on almost 30 of them submitted, including the majority of the linemen who have accepted invitations to the Senior Bowl.

Each report is put together from studying coaches film, with the goal of analyzing at least four games watched for every prospect. Fortunately, my access to film has expanded over the years, so I can avoid TV copies of the game and really do justice to the players by familiarizing myself with them in a wide variety of situations and against a range of different opponents. I aim to increase my exposure as much as possible to have a better grasp on who they are as players. The more exposure, the better.

Tier 1 - Immediate starters and potential impact players (Round 1-Round 2 grades)

1. Troy Fautanu - G/T - Washington

Background: Fautanu is my highest graded offensive lineman heading into the week. He is a former 4-star recruit with 30 career starts (28 at LT/two at LG), including 15 at LT this past season inside Washington’s pass-heavy, multiple run scheme. He will turn 24-years old in October. 

Strengths: Athletic ability, power, length and overall run-blocking skills

Weaknesses: Frenetic, over-aggressive play style

2023 Games studied: Arizona, Oregon x 2, Stanford, Utah, Arizona State, Texas

Best tape: Stanford

Fautanu put on a show in this game as a run-blocker, banging and feeding defensive tackles over on double-teams with authority, straining and staying attached to deliver bone-crushing finishes and making several key blocks on the front and backside of zone runs. You can turn on any tape this year and see what makes Fautanu special, but I would direct you to this one first to see nearly every block you’d want to see an O-line prospect execute.

Overview: Fautanu has a thick, well-rounded build with very good arm length and is arguably the most twitched up and explosive blocker in the class. This shows up mostly in the run game and less consistently in pass-protection due to the aggressive, physical nature he plays with leading to getting manipulated out of position by stutters and hesitations. Part of this is due to how much Washington passed the ball with their tackles on an island, but also due to Fautanu’s approach. This led me to feel that his best fit as a pro is inside at guard, although he does have the movement skills and length to make tackle work if a team wanted to go that route. 

Grade: Year 1 starter (Late 1st/Early 2nd Round)

2. Jackson Powers-Johnson - C/G - Oregon

Background: Powers-Johnson is a former 4-star recruit out of Corner Canyon High School in Utah where he was team captain, two-way player and three-time state champion. He also lettered three times in baseball and wrestling. He has only been a full-time starter for one season at Oregon but burst onto the scene, winning the Rimington Trophy and earning an unanimous All-American selection.

Strengths: Size, athletic ability, power, competitive toughness

Weaknesses: Inexperienced and didn’t face great competition in his one year as a full-time starter

2023 Games studied: Utah, Washington x 2, USC, Oregon State, Stanford

Best tape: USC

Powers-Johnson played this game with a noticeable limp but didn’t sacrifice any strength or power, sustaining the same level of play as every other game this season, despite the circumstances.

Overview: Powers-Johnson combined plenty of flash with highlight reel blocksin almost every game that created buzz on the internet, but when you sit down to study his film, he had the substance to match the hype. At 6’3”, 320 pounds, JPJ has elite size for the pivot with matching explosiveness and power. He flat-out dominated the competition this season, making it difficult to find more than a handful of reps where he was really challenged. This is a testament to his ability but also the fairly weak crop of interior defensive linemen in the Pac-12 this season. Practice in Mobile can really solidify his status as a first-round pick given the expected spike in competition.

Grade: Year 1 starter (Late 1st/Early 2nd Round)

3. Graham Barton - G/C - Duke

*Barton has a shoulder injury and won’t be practicing

Background: Barton is a 39-game starter (34 at LT/five at C as a freshman) who came to Duke as a 3-star recruit. He battled various injuries this past season, starting nine games at left tackle inside Duke’s run-heavy scheme.

Strengths: Core and grip strength, pad level, contact balance, 

Weaknesses: Length, tardy strike timing

2023 Games studied: Clemson, Northwestern, Connecticut, FSU, North Carolina

Best tape: Connecticut

Barton’s matchup with FSU edge-rusher Jared Verse is a must-watch in his evaluation and was a strong performance with each player winning reps handily, but the Connecticut tape needs to be studied to see Barton at his absolute best. From combo-and-climbs, stoning targets at the second-level and as a puller on G-T counter, zone kickouts and an absolute show in pass protection, this was Barton firing on all cylinders. On play 23, Barton sorted out a fake E-T stunt, providing body presence on the tackle with his outside hand on the end before breaking off to the end. The end immediately attempted an arm over that Barton cut-off and ate to solidify the pocket.

Overview:  Barton is in a similar mold as last year’s first-round pick Peter Skoronski from a physical standpoint, although he isn’t quite as fluid in pass protection but is a little bit stronger. This will likely lead to a move inside, possibly to center for some teams, although I would prefer to see him get a shot at guard first. Barton has great natural leverage with a strong core, hands and balance to stay centered through contact, strain and finish blocks at a high level. He is a very sticky blocker with a renown work ethic and leadership qualities, signaling a solid NFL starter.

Grade: Potential impact player (2nd Round)

4. Zach Frazier - C - West Virginia

Background: Frazier came to West Virginia as a 3-star recruit with a decorated high school career, winning two state championships in football and four heavyweight state championships in wrestling, losing twice in his entire career. He was the first true freshman to start along the offensive line at West Virginia since 1980 and finished his career with 46 starts (37 at center and nine at left guard).Frazier broke his leg during the last game of his 2023 season and limped off the field immediately after it happened, closing out his career at West Virginia in admirable fashion. He is preparing for the draft with Duke Manyweather in Frisco, Texas.

Strengths: Play strength, use of leverage, mental processing

Weaknesses: Average athletic ability and length

2023 Games studied: Penn State, Pittsburgh, Texas Tech, Houston, BYU, Oklahoma

Best tape: Pittsburgh

Frazier had one of the best performances of any prospect in the class against Pittsburgh in Week 3 of the season, amassing at least a dozen knockdown blocks using a combination of the snatch-trap technique, power and finishing skills. He was physically dominant and in control the entire game in a way seldom seen at the Division I level, putting on a run-blocking clinic.

Overview: When I close my eyes and think of what a ‘good,’ quality starting center in the NFL looks and plays like I see a player a lot like Frazier. Despite closer to average twitch, athletic ability and length, Frazier checks every other box at a high level from a long-time starter at the pivot and was one of “my guys” in this class when I first studied him in September. The main question is how he will fare isolated in pass protection given the lack of reps he had in the very run-heavy offense he played in as a Mountaineer. Look for him to win over coaches and scouts alike during the interview process before hopefully being ready to workout at his pro day. He is already running on the treadmill and lifting weights with Duke Manyweather in Texas. 

Grade: Potential impact player (2nd round)

5. Taliese Fuaga - G/T - Oregon State

Background: Fuaga is a 25-game starter at right tackle inside Oregon State’s run-heavy, zone-based run scheme. He has been a stalwart on the right side for the Beavers, receiving high-quality coaching and developing into a skilled, imposing starter over the last two seasons on some good OL units.

Strengths: Size, play strength, square power, anchor, angles on the move 

Weaknesses: Lateral quickness, drifting/oversetting on an island, outside hand in pass pro

2023 Games studied: Utah, UCLA, Arizona, Washington, Stanford, Oregon

Best tape: Utah

Fuaga faced Utah in Week 5 and put together the best game of any that I studied this season, showing heavy hands to jolt and displace defenders in the run game, precise angles on the backside of outside zone to complete overtakes and better-than-expected wheels to pull and lead on a toss play. He anchored on command with a flat-back posture and his head out of block, controlling rushers all game long. 

Overview: Fuaga has a case for being the most physically imposing and skilled run-blocker in the class with the size, strength and body control to be very good in that area as a pro. His pass protection is a little more dicey, particularly as the year went on, exposing below average lateral quickness and recovery skills. This can be mitigated at tackle in the right scheme that doesn’t ask him to do too much, but I am projecting him inside where his traits and skill-set are more ready-made to hit the ground running right away.

Grade: Potential impact player (Mid-to-late 2nd Round)

• Upvote 1

6. Cooper Beebe

Background: Beebe is arguably the most decorated offensive lineman in Kansas State history. He finished his career with 48 career starts split between left guard and both tackle spots, winning back-to-back Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year awards and becoming the first offensive lineman to be named a consensus All-American in school history this past season. Beebe is preparing for the draft with Duke Manyweather in Frisco, Texas.

Strengths: Build, play strength, power, experience, processing skills, versatility

Weaknesses: Marginal length, mirroring 1v1 in pass pro

2023 Games studied: Missouri, UCF, Oklahoma State, Houston, Texas, Kansas, Iowa State

Best tape: Iowa State

I don’t throw around the word ‘iconic’ very often, but it feels apt for the performance Beebe had in his last regular season game at home in a blizzard where he was catapulting defenders off of their feet left and right. It was a hazy film at night. Beebe was a block of granite on wheels in this game, running through backers on climbs and pulls like butter. Not only will this tape show the best of Beebe, it is one of the most enjoyable single-game watches of any OL in the class.

Overview: Beebe has a dense, powerful build with excellent processing skills, proven versatility and experience to fill in at a guard spot inside a downhill run scheme right away. His reactionary quickness and twitch leave something to be desired when isolated in pass protection, but he does a nice job mitigating those concerns by staying inside-out on rushers, forcing them to go through him. This will be more difficult to do in the NFL, but his strengths will translate right away and keep him around for a long time.

Grade: Potential impact player (Mid-to-late 2nd Round)

7. Jordan Morgan - G/T - Arizona

Background: Morgan came to Arizona as a 3-star recruit before starting for three seasons and tallying 37 career starts all at left tackle. He tore his ACL on November 22nd of the 2022 season and returned Week 1 of 2023 at full strength, starting 12 games. 

Strengths: Bulky, thick frame and build, initial quicks, upper body strength, heavy hands

Weaknesses: Keeping his inside shoulder down/protected against inside counters from wide rush alignments, mirroring skills, handling stunts

2023 Games studied: Mississippi State, Stanford, Washington, UCLA, USC, Oregon State, Colorado

Best tape: Mississippi State

Morgan played his best out of the gate this season, creating seals and alleys off of his backside on angle-drive blocks in the run game with good ability to keep rushers centered, engulfing them and ending reps quickly. In pass pro he mixed in the snatch technique successfully and showed impressive body control to sustain with trash around his feet on play 38. He was caught leaning once but reset, replaced and anchored. 

Overview: I was a fan of Morgan’s last draft cycle before he tore his ACL and thought he started the year hot this season before things started to gradually break down in pass protection, especially against rushers who were able to threaten him with speed up the arc to get his hips opened before having effective speed to power or inside counters to win across his face. Morgan really struggled against Washington edge-rusher Bralen Trice in this area as well as other games like USC. He does mix in some nice bait/flash and circle punch techniques that were on display against UCLA edge-rusher Laiatu Latu, but the persistent issues he showed were enough for me to feel best about a guard projection as a pro given his size, play strength and efficient use of hands. I’ll be paying close attention to Morgan in Mobile, particularly his tackle reps in pass protection. 

Grade: Potential impact player (Mid-to-late 2nd round)

8. Kingsley Suamataia

Background: Suamataia is a former 5-star commit to Oregon who transferred to BYU after his redshirt season to be closer to home. He won four consecutive state championships in high school and is cousins with Lions All-Pro RT Penei Sewell. Suamataia was also listed #3 on Bruce Feldman’s annual “Freak’s List” this past summer for his weight room and GPS numbers. Suamataia was a team captain in 2023 and finished his career with starts split between left (10) and right (12) tackle.

Strengths: Frame/build, movement skills, hand technique, age (turned 21-years old this month)

Weaknesses: Upright play style, processing skills, overall refinement in technique

2023 Games studied: Arkansas, Kansas, Cincinnati, Texas, Iowa State, Oklahoma

Best tape: Oklahoma

Suamataia had a boom-or-bust feel to his game for the majority of the season until putting it together in Week 9 against the Sooners, showing more discipline with his body positioning in pass protection to center and line up rushers, allowing his strength to take over. There were still some falling off of blocks and missed assignments in the run game, but plenty of flashes of commanding play strength there as well. 

Overview: Suamataia has the feel of a young thoroughbred when you watch him; a little wild but oozing with physical gifts and enough flashes of skill to keep you on the hook. Given his age and runway to improve, if he can land in the right spot (Philly?) where he can be brought along slowly in terms of what he’s asked to do, the payoff could be enormous.

Grade: Potential impact player (Late Round 2)