The Week 1: The Powder keg, and the Media Hype (Hate) Machine

Warfish

Early season games are tricky. Teams really don’t know what they are until game four or so. This first game can go either way. In some ways it might be good if the jets lose because it might bring the players and the coach back to earth.  I hope that hard knocks series didn’t puff them up too much.  They still need to play the game.

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Early season games are tricky. Teams really don’t know what they are until game four or so. This first game can go either way. In some ways it might be good if the jets lose because it might bring the players and the coach back to earth.  I hope that hard knocks series didn’t puff them up too much.  They still need to play the game.

We have the advantage in this regard. BUF will pretty much have the exact same offense they did last year. So we generally know what they like to do since we played them twice. We on the other hand have a totally different offense. So we have that advantage of our offense going against there talented defense. They on the other hand know our defense. So we have to try and trick them a bit that way. If I remember correctly what hurt us the most against them in the games last year was Allen running the ball. So I'd like to see us stop that (even though Allen is my FF QB). ;)

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have the advantage in this regard. BUF will pretty much have the exact same offense they did last year. So we generally know what they like to do since we played them twice. We on the other hand have a totally different offense. So we have that advantage of our offense going against there talented defense. They on the other hand know our defense. So we have to try and trick them a bit that way. If I remember correctly what hurt us the most against them in the games last year was Allen running the ball. So I'd like to see us stop that (even though Allen is my FF QB). ;)

Good points.  They certainly need to contain Allen.  The Rodgers offense will be much different than what they saw last season and Cook should enhance the run game.  I think the jets have improved more than the bills. The game will be a good test.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

It occurs to me just how much of two things we're looking at going into Week 1 vs. Buffalo, neither of which has much to do with the team on the field or the course this season will ultimately take:

1. The Fan Power Keg:  Regardless of how this game goes, big win, slim win, slim loss, big loss, the fan reaction is going to be literal fire.  After all the waiting, the massive over-reaction by the fanbase (no, not YOU personally, gentle reader, perhaps, but the fanbase as a whole) is going to be huge.  A big win, and this place will be filled with "We are the Clear Super Bowl Favs" type hype.  A loss, almost any loss, and the doom and gloom amongst us will be spamming "Disaster!" and "MASSIVE OVERPAID FOR THIS??!!!" threads.  There is almost no universe where the reaction is actually appropriate to a single week 1 outcome.  We, as a fanbase, are pretty reactionary as it is, but all the waiting, the hype, the years of piss QB play and disappointment, whew.....stand back, it's gonna be a doozy.

2. The Media Hype/Hate:  Listening to NFL Radio on Sirus this morning, didn't catch who/which host was yapping, but ALREADY they're describing week 1 vs. Buffalo as a "Must win" game for the NY Jets.  Week 1, a must win.  i.e. if we lose, the season is over, after...week 1.  This is the level of baiting, hyping and outright trolling we're going to get all year long from the major sports media, and especially the horrid NY local area sports media, hungry to monetize/profit off the Rodgers era here selling papers and site clicks and Twitter views.  Yes, we have a tough early schedule, but no, gtfoh that week f'ing ONE is a "must win" for the Jets playing a division rival that was a 13 win team last year.  Setting up that kind of expectation is just ridiculous on it's face.

These two factors, a passionate reactionary fanbase, starved for a QB for decades now, tweleve years and counting out of the postseason, that is a massive over-reaction waiting to happen on a normal day, combined with a sports media looking to taunt/troll that fanbase.......post-game Monday night is going to be insane.  Absolutely insane.

I'd say to my friends here, enjoy the game, but maybe hold off afterwards from proclaiming us the best/worst NFL team of the last 100 years, declaring us the Super Bowl winner (in Sept) or declaring that we're going to go down as the worst FA-built team in NFL history.

It's one game.  Just one.  They'll be 16 more after this one.  The season is a marathon, not a week 1 sprint.  Keep calm, and carry on (rooting), and don't be so stupid as to let the media troll you or inflame your passions.  The media is NOT your friend.  And neither is over-reaction.

Just.  One.  Game.  Win or Lose.

Now, if you excuse me......

giphy.gif

Joe Biden Politics GIF by The Democrats

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

last year's game in November the Jets' D-line combines for 5 sacks, including Huff in the 4th quarter, injures Josh Allen's throwing elbow. Allen throws 2 picks the Jets win 20-17

the game in December, Allen is somewhat more healthy, the D-line doesn't get home as much and the Bills win 20-12

it's awesome they have Rodgers and all but similar to last year it will come down to pass rush getting home. If Allen can be contained they have a chance. But there's a reason why they are home dogs 

fact is the Bills are a very good team, with a possible MVP at QB in his prime - they've been to the last 4 playoffs 

that's what a real contender looks like. Best we can hope for is pass rush takes Allen out of it - cause if he's on and running hard he will put up Madden numbers 

They sacked Allen 3x in the second matchup. 20 points is a fine job by the D, all things considered. 

• CJM penaltied-away a possession when the whole stadium could see they were trying to draw someone offsides before punting, and his veteran-leadershipness dumb ass fell for it while the DL stayed frozen; D was still pitching a shutout heading into the half at that point;
    • then Flacco & MC1 fumbled away two more possessions;
    • with the Bills scoring 10 of their 20 points off 2 those plays, with the 3rd erasing an easy FG at a minimum.
    • Also the Jets lost their WR2 in the 1st quarter (replaced by Mims, who's barely a WR6);
    • followed by losing QW in the 2nd quarter after already notching 2 sacks;
    • and effectively lost their (certainly sub-Rodgers) QB in the 3rd quarter.

All that was already without their best young OT, best young OL overall, and only game-changer RB, all already on IR.

The truth is while Buffalo was/is one of the top teams in the league, the Jets happen to match up with their offense really well between the DL pressure and the secondary alone, even with JJII still being unready, WMD not being there at all. That's without Rodgers plus those other pieces on offense they didn't have against them in either matchup last year in Becton, AVT, Hall, Cook, or even a 2-shouldered Duane Brown.

The Jets still need to win the game no matter how well they match up on paper, but - key Jets injuries notwithstanding - Allen & the Bills should have their hands full.

• Upvote 3