look on the bright side. we only have to give GB our #2 pick next yr instead of the #1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

In a world where Rodgers cost a bounty of picks and cap and lasted 4 plays, and Zach Wilson appears en route to another ~30th amongst starting QB’s or so type rating, is having wanted Free Agent Carr the crazy opinion?

I didn't call my buddy @FidelioJet crazy, neither did I imply it. My question was aimed to figure out what his offseason preference was. Big revelation: I also wanted Carr. 🤯

17 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I didn't call my buddy @FidelioJet crazy, neither did I imply it. My question was aimed to figure out what his offseason preference was. Big revelation: I also wanted Carr. 🤯

I think alot of us did.  

Not that Carr was an obvious choice or anything, he too came with meaningful risks, possible problems, etc.

But him being "free" in terms of compensation/picks, and just a cap cost, even for multiple years......felt a bit better than a one-year Rodgers rental, as awesome as Rodgers is (er, was?).

JD clearly had a plan tho, and he will be held to account for how that plan (Wilson pick, Rodgers trade, Wilson starting again with no real backup now) plays out.  You don't get to keep your job in the NFL for your intentions, you get to keep it for results, and so far JD doesn't have tangible results to hang his hat on for an extension.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think alot of us did.  

Not that Carr was an obvious choice or anything, he too came with meaningful risks, possible problems, etc.

But him being "free" in terms of compensation/picks, and just a cap cost, even for multiple years......felt a bit better than a one-year Rodgers rental, as awesome as Rodgers is (er, was?).

JD clearly had a plan tho, and he will be held to account for how that plan (Wilson pick, Rodgers trade, Wilson starting again with no real backup now) plays out.  You don't get to keep your job in the NFL for your intentions, you get to keep it for results, and so far JD doesn't have tangible results to hang his hat on for an extension.

I honestly don't  know how to feel about Douglas right now. McDonald being a healthy scratch this past Sunday is making me think this might be another blown forst round selection. Nobody really seems to be talking about that. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I honestly don't  know how to feel about Douglas right now. McDonald being a healthy scratch this past Sunday is making me think this might be another blown forst round selection. Nobody really seems to be talking about that. 

I think Douglas's successes (Adams trade, Darnold trade, drafting Sauce/Wilson/Hall) are over-stated/over-valued here at JN.

I think Douglas's ongoing failures (drafting Wilson, trading for Rodgers, ongoing O-line woes despite huge investment, ongoing offensive woes, ongoing losing 2 for every 1 win, etc.) are understated here.

As of now, if 2023 turns out alot like 2022 (6-8 wins, top Defense, woeful Offensive, no QB for the future) I think there is every chance that Woody does not extend JD.

That would either lead to JD (and by extension Saleh) being on very hot seats as 2024 lame ducks.

Or they would both be fired.

Honestly, I could see Woody going either way.

The wildcard is Rodgers potentially coming back in 2024, which may be the factor that leads to "hot seat" over outright firing.

Be assured, if at the end of his 6 year contract Douglas is still sitting at a ~.333 win percentage, and we still don't have a QB, and we still haven't made the playoffs, and we still don;t have a workable O-line.....he deserves to be fired.