Don’t shoot the messenger

slats

Joe Douglas got lucky three times.

The first time he got lucky was when he lucked into drafting the defensive rookie of the year and the offensive rookie of the year, plus Breece Hall.

The second time is when Aaron Rodgers decided to go to the Jets.

The third time is when Aaron Rodgers tore his Achilles behind the turnstile offensive line that Douglas has put together.

Without hitting on the three draft picks that he did, the blowtorch on Douglas' record as a drafter would be under the microscope. It arguably bought him an extra year. When Aaron Rodgers decided to go to the Jets, it meant that Douglas would need to put together an offence that catered to Rodgers' wishes, including signing all his GBP buddies like Lazard and Cobb. Sure, there's anti-tampering provisions in place, but I bet they're easy to circumvent. Douglas knew what he needed to do to get Rodgers in the building, and he went out and did it.

When Rodgers tore his Achilles four plays into the season, it gave Woody the excuse to not fire everyone when the experiment collapsed and to bring Saleh and Douglas back for another season at least with a "healthy" Rodgers.

I've posted it before, but a record of 24-52 should get you fired in this league, but not only are the Jets keeping Douglas, they're doubling down on his mystifying approach to roster building.

• Upvote 3

On 11/22/2023 at 9:31 PM, jeremy2020 said:

letting a GM desperate to save his job make big moves always ends poorly. They should have canned JD and started over. It's gonna get worse too because next year is one of the most Superbowl of Bust years for a team I've seen. Rodgers age means there's no "Progress"... and holy hell.. If the season doesn't end with a Superbowl, but it's enough for Woody to let JD try a post Rodgers rebuild... it's gonna long winter. 

I think everyone comes back but JD should not.  Someone else needs to make the roster decisions for this team going forward.