Which WR will the Jets acquire this offseason?

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

My worst fear is that the 2 sh*theads get extended for a 10-7 wildcard record built on “all chips in” and not being sustainable at all. They should just cut bait now and do the best they can with someone else so there is no chance of them being resigned. 

You and me both.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, football guy said:

A lot of talk has been about the OL and QB positions, but adding a perimeter WR is a move the Jets (and Rodgers) have made clear that they have been angling to do since the trade deadline.

Analyzing what they currently have, they realistically only need one piece at WR. Garrett Wilson is the bonafide #1, Lazard (hopefully) improves as the WR3/4 and with a healthy Rodgers throwing to him, Gipson maintains a situational role, Browlee serves as a backup, and Irv Charles sticks as a core special teamer. It’s very possible that they acquire more than one, but chances are they would be depth options to compete with Gipson/Brownlee/Charles.

It was reported that the Jets reached out to LV, TB, and CIN to see the availability of Davante Adams, Mike Evans, and Tee Higgins, but they were not available first go around. None of them are a given. Adams may opt to remain on the west coast, Evans could be franchised/remain in TB, and Tee Higgins is likely to be franchise tagged (possibly traded thereafter). Still, we’d face stiff competition for all. Below are all the names I’m monitoring as potential FAs/trade candidates: 

• Davante Adams - he’s going to be the Jets top target. If Adams wants to be traded, I think it’ll happen. I don’t think that’s a given though. Rodgers doesn’t control Adams (after all it was his decision to leave GB for LV), and Adams may decide he wants to remain on the west coast- especially if he buys into whatever plan the Raiders have after this season.You also have to consider what the draft capital 
  • Mike Evans - if Evans makes it to FA, he’s the guy I expect them to land. But will he hit FA? Have to think he’ll remain in TB if they pony up the money. Also can’t rule out the franchise tag.  
  • Tee Higgins - Higgins will probably be franchise tagged, but there’s a chance (likely?) he’s traded. Jets issue is he wants to be a WR1 and will likely go to the highest bidder. 
  • Michael Pittman - I doubt he gets out of IND; chances are he will be franchise tagged if not extended. 
  • Calvin Ridley - don’t think they will go down this road. They were interested in him a few years ago, but that was before acquiring Wilson. They’re going to target bigger body separators.
  • Hollywood Brown - see Calvin Ridley. 
  • Mike Williams - no one talks about him as an option, but I think this will have legs. Chargers have cap issues and will need to start relocating some assets. If the new coach/GM likes Johnston, wouldn’t surprise me to see MW traded. 
  • Terry McLaurin - I don’t think he’ll be traded, but there’s at least a chance the new administration will move him as a part of a rebuild. He’d be among my favorite options available- just an overall complete player. 
  • DK Metcalf - another darkhorse, but he fits the mold of receiver the Jets will be looking for. It’s been somewhat under the radar but he and the Seahawks have been at odds over his on-field antics… 

Feel free to add any names you have thought of and discuss

I like the thought process but I really think this will be a scenario where beggars can't be choosers for the Jets. There's a reason all the talk is about o-line and QB2- these are the top priorities for the Jets. And JD will want to make sure he allocates resources to take care of those needs. 

I agree, the Jets' top target will be D.Adams in a trade and some sort of contract restructure to keep him under the cap. If he wants to come to the Jets and play with Rodgers, LV might take less draft capital for him to unload his salary.  

But there's a very good chance this doesn't happen and the Jets end up going after a lower range WR in FA like Ridley or Bourne or Samuel or Boyd. And unless they are getting a game changer like Adams, I can't see the Jets giving up draft picks. So a lot of these other trade scenarios, to me, are unlikely. Especially with the cost. DK and McLaurin- these guys will either not be traded or cost too much draft capital.

Mike Williams is interesting. But again, how much draft capital are you willing to give up for Mike Williams? If you are the Jets and you couldn't get D.Adams for a 2025 1st rounder, what is Mike Williams worth? Do you offer the same? or a 2nd? How desperate are you now? Or do you just sign a FA like Samuel or Bourne or Ridley or Boyd?  I dunno. 

I do think if the Jets swing and miss on D.Adams and end up with one of the mid level WR FAs, as long as they take care of O-line and QB2, I'll be fine knowing this is a deep WR class and we have our draft picks. If we don't go WR in Rd 1, there will be a number of slot receiver options in Rds 3-4 where we have 3 selections. And with Cobb being a total wash, we don't have a true slot threat. The addition of Samuel or Bourne or Ridley or Boyd and a rookie in Rd 3/4, with Gibson and Charles rounding out the top 6 sounds just fine to me. 

21 hours ago, varjet said:

I am not optimistic on this, but historically:

• Teams without QBs or with too many holes let their WRs walk, or traded them to build up their teams.  This is what will happen with Garrett Wilson in 3 years.   So the Jets should be able to get someone.  Getting one also usually costs a lot, a lot of money.  
  • OTs tend never free up.  We are delusional if we think we can find a top one without drafting him.
  • I can see the Jets trading next year’s first round pick for a top half second round pick, and using that traded for pick to draft a WR, for this year. 

I think you are right on the nose. 

But this is what I predict the Jets will get done. 

They will massively overpay for the best OT they can get on the market. I can see it being Jonah Williams. Sometimes there ARE scenarios where an OT will free up in FA. This is one of them. 

I think the Jets will miss out on the top 2 LTs/OT and end up drafting a RT/OT in JC Latham. Which is fine. Latham will be very good. But they will stick Jonah at LT where he is not his best. Still, this should be an upgrade from Becton. 

If we end up cutting Tomlinson I think JD will sign a mid level G in FA which will not be a huge upgrade but an upgrade none the less. 

I think they will end up trading next years 2nd rounder for D.Adams and reworking his deal to fit him under the cap. Maybe the 2nd rounder turns into a 1st if the Jets reach the playoffs. 

It would be foolish not to draft a WR in this WR deep draft. I think in Rd. 3-4 the Jets take a WR. There's so many high upside guys that will probably slide out of Rd. 2 that the Jets can draft to compete for that #3/#4 spot with Lazard and Gibson.