2024 Yankees season thread

35 minutes ago, Barton said:

They are not consistent. Too boom or bust. At best this lineup has 2 guys who can hit .300 —- that’s not good enough. 

Only 9 players in all of baseball hit .300 last season. This isn't the 70's.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Gil really starting to emerge as a stud

His stuff is elite, it's just control.   If he has decent control, he is fantastic, If he walks 7 guys in 5 innings, less so. 

Last few games, his control has improved, and only 2 hits in his last 2 starts is pretty dang impressive.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

They are not consistent. Too boom or bust. At best this lineup has 2 guys who can hit .300 —- that’s not good enough. 

They do get shut out too often, but did any team in MLB have 2 hitters over 300 last year?

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Not sure what year you’re living in bro but there’s like only 15 guys in the whole league who bat .300

• Upvote 1

Ok, fair enough on .300

How about .275....

How many guys on this team are gonna hit .275? 2. At the most 3. That's not good enough.

You cant have a guy like Stanton hitting .230 and bat him 4th or 5th every day. 

When the middle of your lineup goes 1 for 8 every 2 games, you are gonna lose games that you shouldnt. 

This team lacks consistent hitters who show up on the box score week in, week out. Its a lineup of mostly streaky hitters.

On 5/12/2024 at 9:43 AM, Barton said:

Ok, fair enough on .300

How about .275....

How many guys on this team are gonna hit .275? 2. At the most 3. That's not good enough.

When the middle of your lineup goes 1 for 8 every 2 games, you are gonna lose games that you shouldnt. 

This team lacks consistent hitters who show up on the box score week in, week out. Its a lineup of mostly streaky hitters.

Yankees currently have a top offense in the whole league… not sure saying they’re not “consistent” is the right argument with this group. 

18 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yankees currently have a top offense in the whole league… not sure saying they’re not “consistent” is the right argument with this group. 

Then they're lucky!

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2024 at 8:43 AM, Barton said:

Ok, fair enough on .300

How about .275....

Emphasis is now on OBP over batting average.  Old school mentality was walls were a negative now it’s the opposite 

On 5/15/2024 at 3:38 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Emphasis is now on OBP over batting average.  Old school mentality was walls were a negative now it’s the opposite 

Gotta have both. Cant just hit for a good avg and a low OBP or vica versa.

This team is a solid. They are. But they need a tweaking + another impact bat. Matt Blake has done a great job as the pitching coach - maybe Cashmans best hire in years. 

But I'd like to see Durbin called up to play 2nd base. Gleyber is so dissapointing. Durbin is a ball player, like Verdugo is. 

A legit RBI bat behind Judge would also make a big difference. Rizzo/Stanton are over the hill, especially Stanton. These guys shouldnt be hitting higher than 6th. 

On 5/14/2024 at 11:13 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Looks like the Martian will be back soon. Verdugo has been decent for us but I’d hope this kid gets the LF job once he returns. 

I wouldnt do that. Verdugo brings BALANCE to the lineup with his low K rate. Balance is key to a lineup.

If anything, the Martian (who IMO is an overrated prospect) can steal at bats from Stanton. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Barton said:

I wouldnt do that. Verdugo brings BALANCE to the lineup with his low K rate. Balance is key to a lineup.

If anything, the Martian (who IMO is an overrated prospect) can steal at bats from Stanton. 

You've been so wrong on all your takes. Maybe you just take a seat and see what happens?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bicketybam said:

You've been so wrong on all your takes. Maybe you just take a seat and see what happens?

Time will tell whose takes are wrong, my man. I’m the same guy who said in March of last year the offense would struggle to score runs and the team might not make the playoffs. Also the same guy in 2022 who said the team was overrated while they had the best record in the 1st half of the season- they then fell on their face in the 2nd half and played 500 ball. Also told people to relax and let Clarke Schmidt pitch through his struggles when he had a bad 1st month or so last year. Guess those takes were right, huh? 

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

Time will tell whose takes are wrong, my man. I’m the same guy who said in March of last year the offense would struggle to score runs and the team might not make the playoffs. Also the same guy in 2022 who said the team was overrated while they had the best record in the 1st half of the season- they then fell on their face in the 2nd half and played 500 ball. Also told people to relax and let Clarke Schmidt pitch through his struggles when he had a bad 1st month or so last year. Guess those takes were right, huh? 

Yes!

On 3/30/2024 at 9:41 PM, Maxman said:

They still need a closer. I think that will be a move they make this year. They can be dominant, I just don't trust Holmes closing.

13 saves

How's the era?

On 5/16/2024 at 9:37 PM, Barton said:

Gotta have both. Cant just hit for a good avg and a low OBP or vica versa.

This team is a solid. They are. But they need a tweaking + another impact bat. Matt Blake has done a great job as the pitching coach - maybe Cashmans best hire in years. 

But I'd like to see Durbin called up to play 2nd base. Gleyber is so dissapointing. Durbin is a ball player, like Verdugo is. 

A legit RBI bat behind Judge would also make a big difference. Rizzo/Stanton are over the hill, especially Stanton. These guys shouldnt be hitting higher than 6th. 

I agree to an extent. A player like Nick Swisher who is a poor average hitter but got a ton of walks during regular season always got exposed in the playoffs against elite pitching 

• Upvote 1

It’s pretty incredible that without dj and Cole they are playing this well. There are also bullpen reinforcements on their way. If Stanton has his mid season injuries they can plug the Martian in there as
Well.
I would give up anyone short of Spencer jones for that As closer. He looked electric and untouchable against us and under team control until 2029…. Orioles are going to try and get him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Wit said:

It’s pretty incredible that without dj and Cole they are playing this well. There are also bullpen reinforcements on their way. If Stanton has his mid season injuries they can plug the Martian in there as
Well.
I would give up anyone short of Spencer jones for that As closer. He looked electric and untouchable against us and under team control until 2029…. Orioles are going to try and get him.

I hope DJ doesn't come back. He's done.

• Upvote 1

I hope DJ doesn't come back. He's done.

I understand where you see coming from, but he is a bat on ball guy, and Cabrera and Berti are backups. They shouldn’t play everyday. If DJ is healthy I think he can be very valuable. I feel like Rizzo is close to done too though. Great fielder, but he is protected by his relationship with Judge.

Gil is on fire, now that his control has improved, 26 hits allowed in 49 innings, with 62 strikeouts.  

They are going to need to severely monitor his innings, he only pitched a handful of innings the last few years.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Gil is on fire, now that his control has improved, 26 hits allowed in 49 innings, with 62 strikeouts.  

They are going to need to severely monitor his innings, he only pitched a handful of innings the last few years.

Forgot to start him in fantasy today ugh 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Get Matt Blake a 10 year deal. He's been incredible. 

Yankees starters have pitched 299.66 innings and have surrendered 92 earned runs. Their combined era is 2.76. Who would have guessed that after Cole went down?!

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2024 at 4:17 PM, Wit said:

Well.

I do not ever want to trade for an A's pitcher again.

It never works, they can never handle NY.

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2024 at 6:49 AM, Barton said:

They are boom or bust, but they are also #3 in batting average, #1 in OBP, and #1 in home runs.

Teams just don't have offenses like they did 15 years ago, the pitching is too good.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 110707.png

• Upvote 1

Why even play Gleyber? Yankees aren’t going to resign him in 6 months. His defense is shoddy. Durbin is raking in the minors and fits the profile of what this team needs more of. Trade Gleyber. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Why even play Gleyber? Yankees aren’t going to resign him in 6 months. His defense is shoddy. Durbin is raking in the minors and fits the profile of what this team needs more of. Trade Gleyber. 

They had their chance to trade Gleyber for minor league assets last offseason.  

• Upvote 1