2024 Yankees season thread

10 hours ago, Barton said:

No question this team is decent but they still need some major tweaks IMO.

Gleyber is not a sparkplug leadoff hitter type. He's not a grind it out, foul pitches off, long at bats, draws walks type guy. He's also pretty slow.

Too soon to bump Volpe up but so far he looks good. 

Caleb durbin is raking in the minors. 

Also, Stanton is possibly shot. If this continues another month+, then Hal needs to suck it up and unload him. Eat the $. Show you are serious about winning. 

The offense looks solid.  As long as the starting pitching is mostly decent we should be fine

On 4/5/2024 at 8:07 AM, chirorob said:

The Yankees placed reliever Jonathan Loáisiga on the 60-day injured list with a right flexor strain before their home opener Friday.

Kahnle already on the shelf

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Yankees reliever Jonathan Loáisiga said on Saturday that he has a torn UCL and needs season-ending surgery. He said that it will not be Tommy John surgery and the expected recovery is 10-12 months. Dr. Keith Meister will perform the procedure.

Ugh wtf

Everything about Volpes new approach is outstanding. It’s everything I have been saying for years. If Gleyber, who has a very similar hitting same skillset, can copy this approach, then the lineup will really become balanced. But I’m still seeing Gleyber swing out of his shoes too often. He should focus on line drives, hit .300 with 15 or so home runs and a high OBP. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Everything about Volpes new approach is outstanding. It’s everything I have been saying for years. If Gleyber, who has a very similar hitting same skillset, can copy this approach, then the lineup will really become balanced. But I’m still seeing Gleyber swing out of his shoes too often. He should focus on line drives, hit .300 with 15 or so home runs and a high OBP. 

Watching some of these guys now use the whole field has been greatness.

Even the game they lost, down 3-0 in the 9th, Volpe just goes with the pitch, and hits a line drive to right for a sharp single.   

Just, go with the pitch, swing at strikes, make contact.  That's the kind of hitting that will have success in October.

• Upvote 2

On 4/9/2024 at 7:47 AM, Barton said:

I knew Volpe was going to be much better his second year but not like this he’s on an absolute tear.  I was actually really encouraged by his rookie year he had a 20/20 season he just needed to learn patience at the plate

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

The little dude Caleb Durbin on fire in AAA hitting 464 7 for 7 sbs.

Let Gleyber play 2nd for the year, let him leave via Free Agency, and let Caleb take his place next year.

Trade Gleyber now and get a minor league prospect for him before he walks.  Call up the Durban kid

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Trade Gleyber now and get a minor league prospect for him before he walks.  Call up the Durban kid

lol they’re trying to win the World Series this year they’re not trading Gleyber 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

lol they’re trying to win the World Series this year they’re not trading Gleyber 

Should get a comp pick for him.   I'm not quite sure how the comp system works anymore.   By not quite sure, I mean I no longer have any idea how the MLB comp system works for free agents.

Gotta give props where its due. Moving Volpe up to leadoff so soon looks like its working.

Side notes: DJ Lamehieu has to EARN his spot back. Cabrera is mashing, no reason to bench him until it stops.

Also, Austin Wells swings for the fences to much. Ditto Gleyber. They need some of that Volpe flatten the swing teaching. 

24 minutes ago, Barton said:

Gotta give props where its due. Moving Volpe up to leadoff so soon looks like its working.

Side notes: DJ Lamehieu has to EARN his spot back. Cabrera is mashing, no reason to bench him until it stops.

Also, Austin Wells swings for the fences to much. Ditto Gleyber. They need some of that Volpe flatten the swing teaching. 

DJ can sit, forever

• Upvote 1

Very sad to see John is retiring I’ve never known another broadcaster calling games on radio for the Yankees. Countless hours in the car hearing him or when my Dad would throw the games on the radio outside-whole block probably heard it haha. Gonna be an adjustment. I wish him well in retirement. 

• Upvote 1

I am a diehard Yankee fan since the 1950s, and I will be very happy to see him retire.  I have always found him to be a pompous ass who tries to make the broadcast about himself, especially with his inane home run calls.

Most of you probably don’t know that he began in New York with a sports talk show.  He was the same egotistical ass then often demeaning callers by calling them a child.

Good riddance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I’m only 40 so he’s the only Yankees radio broadcaster I have ever known. He always got a bum rap from Yankees fans he was good.  Suzyn has always been the problem and continues to be

He was annoying as f*ck. A bombastic blowhard.

On 4/16/2024 at 8:48 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

I’m only 40 so he’s the only Yankees radio broadcaster I have ever known. He always got a bum rap from Yankees fans he was good.  Suzyn has always been the problem and continues to be

I liked him.

• Upvote 1

Big win yesterday. That being said, never ignore the issues a team has. I’m not sure Rizzo is a strong enough bar to hit behind Judge. And Gleyber is such an airhead. Infield defense has been garbage so far esp him. Gleyber will bounce back and start hitting but it might be time consider Durbin in the minors and a healthy DJ at 2nd base. Trading Gleyber at the deadline. 

• Upvote 1

Offense is lacking another star bat,IMO. Rizzo hasn’t barreled up anything post concussion and Judge hasn’t hit since returning from his toe injury, which apparently will never heal. It’s early but the warning signs are there. And we know Stanton stinks for the most part. 

On 4/6/2024 at 8:25 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

The offense looks solid.  As long as the starting pitching is mostly decent we should be fine

Gleyber is not a smart , Winning ball player , can’t field, terrible on tag plays, often dumb on the base paths, not really focused on success, don’t resign him.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:42 PM, Barton said:

Offense is lacking another star bat,IMO. Rizzo hasn’t barreled up anything post concussion and Judge hasn’t hit since returning from his toe injury, which apparently will never heal. It’s early but the warning signs are there. And we know Stanton stinks for the most part. 

Rizzo has looked a hair slow on defense, almost like he reacts late and doesn’t bend well either, Hope it isn’t visual.

Yankees are still not a championship caliber team, Stanton is terrible on the basepaths and a double play with men on base waiting to happen.

On 4/25/2024 at 10:42 PM, Leftylarry said:

Gleyber is not a smart , Winning ball player , can’t field, terrible on tag plays, often dumb on the base paths, not really focused on success, don’t resign him.

What happened to Gleyber? I know he hit well yesterday but the guy has been a dud on offense up to now

Like I said weeks ago, this lineup is still going to struggle to score runs. It is not a balanced lineup.

Luis Arraez was just traded. That is the exact type of guy the Yankees needed. Elite table setter with a high batting avg/obp skills, low K, speed.

There is no way in hell this currently constructed lineup is winning a world series. None.

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:58 AM, Barton said:

Like I said weeks ago, this lineup is still going to struggle to score runs. It is not a balanced lineup.

Luis Arraez was just traded. That is the exact type of guy the Yankees needed. Elite table setter with a high batting avg/obp skills, low K, speed.

There is no way in hell this currently constructed lineup is winning a world series. None.

??? Currently one of the top offenses in the league, they keep mashing

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

??? Currently one of the top offenses in the league, they keep mashing

They are not consistent. Too boom or bust. At best this lineup has 2 guys who can hit .300 —- that’s not good enough.