Haloti Ngata's motivation

bitonti

i've seen people say this player doesn't have a high motor and takes plays off. I've never seen that per se but even so... this is what he's playing for in the future. SOme heavy s--t.

from NFL Draft Scout.com

After the 2005 season, Ngata cited family issues for his reason to bypass his senior year and enter the 2006 NFL Draft. Ngata's mother, Olga, had kidney failure and was admitted to a Los Angeles hospital while Ngata was preparing for the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. She was also battling diabetes and passed away in January. She had not been well since Ngata's father died in a traffic accident three years ago, said Ngata, who added that his older brothers are struggling to find jobs. "Not really," Ngata said when asked if the decision to leave was difficult. "I stayed at Oregon for four years. I had four good years there. I wanted to support my mom. She was in and out of the hospital, so I wanted to help her out.

At the Combine in February, Ngata said of his mother's death, "It's been tough. I just use it as motivation. My dad and my mom are finally going to see me play together."

I'm sure he a nice guy and all. But when athletes start with this "I'm doing this for my deceased parent" stuff they lose me. Everyone goes through this in life, and nobody's suddenly going to do his job better because of it, whether he be a cop or an accountant or a football player. The idea that somehow an athletes or anyone is going to dedicate himself due to the loss of a loved one is PR. I'm sure he loved both of his parents, but I doubt he's thinking about this much. Some agent probably suggested it. And by now he's probably on aitopilot during interviews. By the same token, is he saying didn't work as hard when his mom was alive?

Can recall Oscr Delahoya "dedicating" his Olympic medal to his dead mom and NBC making a big deal about it. And as good a boxer as he was, the man is vermin in almost every other way.

I'm sure he a nice guy and all. But when athletes start with this "I'm doing this for my deceased parent" stuff they lose me. Everyone goes through this in life, and nobody's suddenly going to do his job better because of it, whether he be a cop or an accountant or a football player. The idea that somehow an athletes or anyone is going to dedicate himself due to the loss of a loved one is PR. I'm sure he loved both of his parents, but I doubt he's thinking about this much. Some agent probably suggested it. And by now he's probably on aitopilot during interviews. By the same token, is he saying didn't work as hard when his mom was alive?

Can recall Oscr Delahoya "dedicating" his Olympic medal to his dead mom and NBC making a big deal about it. And as good a boxer as he was, the man is vermin in almost every other way.

I respect your opinion bugg, but I have seen this for myself in real life, but not on the athletic front. I've seen someone close to me use a tragic event in his life as motivation to make a total 180 and get all these things done that he was never able to before. It just depends on the person.

it's not just his mom - it's his mom and his dad in a span of three years. Both parents.

Now... he's not playing for himself, he's got an entire extended family to support - and 1 rookie deal isn't going to cut it.

Haloti Ngata has to reach full potential for the sake of his family.

I'd place a bet on a guy like this 1000 times before i'd bet on some mcdonalds eating bryan thomas type.

If you need to watch "Braveheart" before every game, or think about your dead mom,at some point that will get played out. Emotion in short spurts may be good, but will get empty. After 5 years of Hermie, it doesn't seem to much help to constantly play the "Rudy" speech. Watch the tail end of the 2004 Ravens game with Hermie babbling at length while everyone's getting dressed-and ignoring his blather.

saw an interview yesterday with David Halberstam, who did Bellichick's biography. Knock Coach Urinal Cake all you want, but Halberstam noted that Bellichick long ago figured out that fiery speeches and running your yap with the idea of running up player's emotions in the long term is mostly negative. You can count on the physical and mental and rote drilling in practice and review in the film room, but if your main appeal to players is emotional that will be done for after the first big hit. Though may be that has as much to do with the kind of players the Pats choose to draft and sign and those they avoid.

IMO some people perform better with this type of attitude.

Buster Douglas anyone?

The Toltecs were a warlike people who lived in Mexico around the turn of the first millennium. There are remains of Toltec art which can be seen in Tula where they had their city of Tollan.

The Indians played a sacred ball game which probably originated in El Tajin. Special ball courts lined with stone carvings were built. However, sacrifices were made after the game, the losing team's players were beheaded.

Can you imagine the Halftime speech the coach of the team behind must have given?

If you need to watch "Braveheart" before every game, or think about your dead mom,at some point that will get played out. Emotion in short spurts may be good, but will get empty.

Bugg all due respect you make other good points in your post but watching Braveheart and thinking about your dead mom (and dad... and entire extended family YOU have to support) are not equal sources of motivation. Emotion is key if you don't play the game with emotion you will lose, especially at the defensive tackle positon.

Archived