JFM's value

1 hour ago, since1975 said:

Al Woods was the key run stuffer.  Made everyone else's job easier.  Never seemed to patch that hole in the line after he went down.

We did add leki fotu this off season, although I realize you're talking about previously. Hopefully fotu can do it

Apparently his value is $7.9 million of guaranteed money over 2 years.

Broncos sign DE John Franklin-Myers to a two-year, $15 million contract.
Just days after acquiring Franklin-Myers from the Jets, the Broncos have given him a new deal to keep him with the team through 2025. The veteran defense end, who totaled 33 tackles and 3.5 sacks last season, will reportedly receive $7.9 million in guaranteed money. Franklin-Myers is a valued pass rusher and run stuffer along the interior. He’s totaled 14.5 sacks over the last three seasons and 154 pressures per PFF. He should provide plenty of punch to Denver’s interior.

On 5/1/2024 at 2:57 PM, slats said:

He clearly was not worth his contract. Jets got Denver to accept terms that included guaranteed money the Jets still owed, and then they promptly cut the rest of his deal in half. Apparently, Douglas wasn’t willing to go that high. As a result of the trade, he saved an extra $3-4M against the cap over flat out cutting him. 

We agree that he was not worth his contract, but had his contract been a much friendlier contract, I think the Jets could have gotten a 4th rounder for him.  He is still a younger guy, and he is a positive on the field and off the field.  

Then again, if his contract was a much friendlier contract, JFM would still be a Jet today.

• Upvote 1

Ugh. Just found out JFM stated that the Jets offer "wasn't even close" to what the Broncos gave him. 

I had rationalized this trade to myself under an assumption that the Jets offered a similar deal to the Broncos, and that JFM just wanted out, but if this is true then I am now disgusted by the move. He may not have been worth his old contract but he is definitely worth what the Broncos are now paying him, and the cap savings this year would have been very comparable to what we got anyway...

My new assumption is that JD just wanted to rip the bandaid off for next off season now, when the Jets will probably need all the cap help they can get, but why they didn't just try to negotiate a minimal cap hit in 2025 or a 1 year deal I don't know. I do feel like the Jets can make up for JFM but it's easier said than done, and if they're really trying to contend this year they'd better hope they got this. 

22 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm not a fan of the JFM trade, I liked him as a player (I know there are many here that will say he was just a JAG).

He may not have had top-flight production, but the man played every snap hard & played to the whistle.

You can't coach effort & in my view, JFM played with everything he had.

That being said, I understand why the trade occurred.

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made & this was definitely one of them IMHO.

That's a good take on this whole matter, it just seemed time, cap wise, after rewarding him with that contract he earned a few years back, so no regrets.

Bottom line is the D line will always be in constant flux outside of Q who I hope retires a Jet

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Ugh. Just found out JFM stated that the Jets offer "wasn't even close" to what the Broncos gave him. 

I had rationalized this trade to myself under an assumption that the Jets offered a similar deal to the Broncos, and that JFM just wanted out, but if this is true then I am now disgusted by the move. He may not have been worth his old contract but he is definitely worth what the Broncos are now paying him, and the cap savings this year would have been very comparable to what we got anyway...

My new assumption is that JD just wanted to rip the bandaid off for next off season now, when the Jets will probably need all the cap help they can get, but why they didn't just try to negotiate a minimal cap hit in 2025 or a 1 year deal I don't know. I do feel like the Jets can make up for JFM but it's easier said than done, and if they're really trying to contend this year they'd better hope they got this. 

JFM’s contract was designed to expire for the Jets exactly when it did. The Jets overpaid to keep him when they had a need at his position on the team and he was an ascending player. Since that signing, they drafted two edge’s in the first round, another in the fourth, and then -the final straw- they traded for a guy who’s better than anyone they previously had on the roster in Haasan Reddick. It sucks losing a guy you like, but I don’t expect the defense to skip a beat. It’s quite possible that it’s even better this year with Reddick and McDonald replacing JFM and Huff. 

In the end, they got four good years out of JFM for about $28M. That’s not bad. 

• Upvote 3

jetsx had a thing about the jfm contract.  they basically said the jets actually lost 1.7 million by not matching denver's deal and keeping him.  maybe so but there's always a bigger picture involved and jfm's denver deal is probably what a full time player would be worth vice a part time.

14 minutes ago, slats said:

JFM’s contract was designed to expire for the Jets exactly when it did. The Jets overpaid to keep him when they had a need at his position on the team and he was an ascending player. Since that signing, they drafted two edge’s in the first round, another in the fourth, and then -the final straw- they traded for a guy who’s better than anyone they previously had on the roster in Haasan Reddick. It sucks losing a guy you like, but I don’t expect the defense to skip a beat. It’s quite possible that it’s even better this year with Reddick and McDonald replacing JFM and Huff. 

In the end, they got four good years out of JFM for about $28M. That’s not bad. 

Can't disagree, but for the 5m cap hit he's taking (and 7.5m aav he got over 2 years), it does feel like a waste that the Jets dumped him in a year they want to "win a super bowl". He was just about our best depth piece, though I'm sure they'll continue to invest in the position short and long term.

Anyway, like I'd said, it almost feels more like a move for next off season to me. Jets didn't want to have any 2025 money tied to him. I assume they have a plan for this years cap space, so maybe a new signing will make me feel a bit better about it

20 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

We did add leki fotu this off season, although I realize you're talking about previously. Hopefully fotu can do it

6'5''  335lbs and only 25 yrs old.  Welcome aboard!

• Upvote 1