Something about the Jets interior defensive line and how it has been addressed that bothers me.

7 hours ago, Alka said:

So, the Jets let Quinton Jefferson walk along with Bryce Huff in the offseason, and traded away JFM.  JFM, while not a sack master, was an active player on the line.  Jefferson had a very good season; actually, one of his most productive seasons.  

With the 3 of them gone, we have a sack guy from Philly that seems great.  But, did the Jets do enough to fill the hole at defensive tackle, to help defend against the run?

Letting Jefferson go to the Cleveland Browns for a 1 year, $3.6 Million dollar contract seemed foolish to me.  The Jets were given the opportunity to match that contract, but were too slow in responding, and lost him.  Jefferson was only 30 years old, and had 6 sacks for the Jets last year.  Did the Jets want Jefferson back?  The answer is yes, but they for whatever reason, sat on their hands too long, and he was gone.

Yes, the Jets acquired Javon Kinlaw and Leki Fotu in the hopes that they will offer the same, or better protection on the interior defensive line that both JFM and Jefferson did.

But Kinlaw only had 3.5 sacks last year, and Jefferson had 6.  And the price to keep Jefferson was the same as what he was paid by the Jets in 2023.

I am not confident that the Jets did enough on the interior D line to defend against the run this upcoming year.  This just seems like malpractice to me.  And to add insult to injury, the Jets decided not to draft any defensive tackles in this years draft, even though we had ample opportunity and certainly enough draft picks with which to draft one.

Breaking news. After 20 straight years of prioritizing the defense first, jets shift focus to the offensive side of the ball. 

and I for 1 am outraged.

• Haha 2

Q Jefferson 6-4 291 31 y/o

JFM 6-4 288 27 y/o

J  Kinlaw 6-5 320 26 y/o

L Fotu 6-5 335 25 y/o

The Jets wanted to get beefier and more stout in the middle to defend the run. They got a LOT bigger and younger.

This was a choice and I think we will be pleasantly surprised when the season starts. 

We will not be getting pushed around like we were at times in the past.

Our interior last year outside of Quinnen was probably the weakest part of the D.  They're banking on upside with Kinlaw and Fotu, which I'm a fan of.  Honestly I think I'm most looking forward to Leonard Taylor and what he does in TC.

Considering how bad our interior was last year, I don't have any problem with letting go of guys like Jefferson and Woods.