My Thoughts On The Upcoming Jets Draft

YJF

I haven't been online in awhile and I haven't really had a chance to address my feelings on all the latest Jets happenings and the upcoming draft.

I am really excited. As a big time college football fan and a huge football fan in general. There's nothing quite like the draft. I am so pumped up.

Several topics floating around in Jets land as we near the draft, So I'll address each one quickly. I have come to alot of conclusions the last few days. So here goes.

REGGIE BUSH

-He's the only player in this draft worth trading up for. He's one of the greatest RB prospects, I have ever seen coming out of college. He's on that Marshall Faulk level. Only better. Think Faulk in his prime, If you saw Faulk at San Diego State, He was a dominant player. Mr. Everything. Bush has one of the highest grades, I've ever given a player and Houston's gotta be nuts if they pass on him. He will change your entire offense and open everything up for everybody on your team. The kind of player who will make an impact without the ball even in his hands. Teams will have to account for him on every snap. He will be a threat to score on every play.

MARIO WILLIAMS

- I usually get gut feelings about what The Jets want to do entering a draft. I am starting to get a feeling that The Jets want Mario Williams at #4. I can't say that I blame them. He's going to be a better pro than John Abraham. Only 20 years old and the sky is the limit. Will be a pro bowl player in year one and an all world player by year three. There's not a thing he won't be able to do in the pros. He's 6'7 nearly 300 pounds and is cat like quick and strong at the point of attack. Can play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE or DT. He can even stand up and rush the passer if you want to do that. One of the best d-line prospects I have studied in a long time. For those who say that Mario didn't play to his potential in college. He had 62 tackles last year, 24 tackles for loss and 14 and a half sacks all while being double and triple teamed. He reminds me of a guy who wore #92. God rest his soul. I hate making those type of comparisons but the guy has that potential.

QUARTERBACK

-Get ready for some controversy. The only QB, I wanna take in round one is Vince Young...... I am lukewarm on Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler and I think that the prospects at the top are better than them. Leinart to me can be a Boomer Esiason type player. Good to very good but never great. Cutler to me is an unknown. He has good tools but I keep thinking Nagle and Boller with him. Young is the only guy who represents franchise player to me. The kind of player who can carry an offense on his shoulders. The other QB's at the top don't strike me as those kind of players. Leinart is the safest bet while Cutler fits the prototype but if Young hits. Look out football world.

3-4 PLAYERS

-This draft is loaded with 3-4 compatitible players. From rounds 1 to 7. They are all over the place. Mangini doesn't want just 3-4 players though. He wants players who can play in several different fronts. He wants players who can play the 3 and 4 man fronts as evidenced by his Kimo Von Oelhoffen signing.

CHARACTER

-The #1 criteria in The Jets scouting department now. There will be players picked by The Jets, who didn't test physically as well as their peers at their respective positions. It doesn't mean that The Jets won't take a player with some character issues off the field. I think though if they take a player like that, It will be someone who is obsessed with football.

WILDCARD

-All signs point to a QB, Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson but the curveball in this draft might be A.J. Hawk. The front 7 of a 3-4 is usually led by a LB not a Defensive lineman. The d-lineman in The 3-4 are essentially blockers for their linebackers. It's like The d-lineman are the fullbacks and The linebackers are the halfbacks. They make the plays and A.J. Hawk looks like a franchise 3-4 defensive player. It wouldn't shock me if The Jets curveball is Hawk.

Good to see you back YJF-I was thinking about you this morning and here ya are-Mario Williams could be Mangini's Richard Seymour-and we all know how important he has been up thereAlso, they shipped Abraham out of town so it makes sense-I might be changing my idea of D'Brick

Good to see you back YJF-I was thinking about you this morning and here ya are-Mario Williams could be Mangini's Richard Seymour-and we all know how important he has been up thereAlso, they shipped Abraham out of town so it makes sense-I might be changing my idea of D'Brick

I'm having second thoughts about Ferguson too. I don't think he is as polished as people make him out to be. He's a bit of a hype created player. Character wise, He's tops in this draft. So that might get him drafted by The Jets and being coached by and endorsed by a "tribe" member in Al Groh doesn't hurt but I see too many deficiencies in D'Brick's game for a guy who is supposed to be a "lock" player.

I watched undersized alabama DE Mark Anderson take him to school in the senior bowl. Is Anderson underrated or is Ferguson overrated. Could be a combination of the two. There are OT's in this draft that are only a notch below Ferguson as a prospect in my opinion. In Justice and McNeil. Justice reminds me of Orlando Pace/Walter Jones and McNeil has Willie Roaf written all over him.

I'm having second thoughts about Ferguson too. I don't think he is as polished as people make him out to be. He's a bit of a hype created player. Character wise, He's tops in this draft. So that might get him drafted by The Jets and being coached by and endorsed by a "tribe" member in Al Groh doesn't hurt but I see too many deficiencies in D'Brick's game for a guy who is supposed to be a "lock" player.

I watched undersized alabama DE Mark Anderson take him to school in the senior bowl. Is Anderson underrated or is Ferguson overrated. Could be a combination of the two. There are OT's in this draft that are only a notch below Ferguson as a prospect in my opinion. In Justice and McNeil. Justice reminds me of Orlando Pace/Walter Jones and McNeil has Willie Roaf written all over him.

Ferguson also gave up 3 sacks to Mario Williams when they went head to head in college. Marcus McNeill hasn't given up A SINGLE SACK in 41 games.

McNeill and Justice are just as good if not better than Ferguson.

REGGIE BUSH

-He's the only player in this draft worth trading up for. He's one of the greatest RB prospects, I have ever seen coming out of college. He's on that Marshall Faulk level. Only better.

YJF,

You know the only piece of your post that I am going to pick apart is the one I don't agree with, right?;)

Here's my opinion on the above:

The Jets would be absolutely crazy to trade up and draft Bush. The risk/reward factor in doing that is not balanced.

Bush is 5'10"-203 lbs. He's going to be running in the NFL and not the PAC 10. No way can he carry the rock 20+ times on a consistent basis in the NFL.

His upright running style (versus CuMar's down low-shoulder tucks) will be his kiss of death in the NFL.

It would be a HUGE mistake for the Jets to trade up for Bush.

BTW, everything else in your post I agree with 100%.;)

Ferguson also gave up 3 sacks to Mario Williams when they went head to head in college. Marcus McNeill hasn't given up A SINGLE SACK in 41 games.

Hard to argue. I look at the draft differently than most. I don't like cute picks that seem to fit. I like dominant players.

This relates to The Ferguson to The Jets discussion.

I remember everyone saying a few years ago that Detroit should take Charles Rogers with The 2nd pick because they need a WR and he is from Michigan State. The pick there was for Andre Johnson not Rogers. Johnson was a more physically gifted player than Rogers and translated better to the pros but because Rogers was a cute story and a hometown kid. The push and eventual drafting of Rogers took place.

If The Jets take D'Brick, I want it to be because they believe he can be a 10 year franchise tackle and not because he's a local kid and it looks nice on paper.

To me, I have McNeil ranked very high in this draft. He's one of my top 15 players in this entire draft. I have 3 OT's in that group and McNeil to me of the three has the chance to be the most dominant. Ferguson has the best tools. Justice is in the same league physically. McNeil is a dominant force. If it wasn't for his injury concerns, He should be a top 5 player in my opinion.

YJF,

You know the only piece of your post that I am going to pick apart is the one I don't agree with, right?;)

Here's my opinion on the above:

The Jets would be absolutely crazy to trade up and draft Bush. The risk/reward factor in doing that is not balanced.

Bush is 5'10"-203 lbs. He's going to be running in the NFL and not the PAC 10. No way can he carry the rock 20+ times on a consistent basis in the NFL.

His upright running style (versus CuMar's down low-shoulder tucks) will be his kiss of death in the NFL.

It would be a HUGE mistake for the Jets to trade up for Bush.

BTW, everything else in your post I agree with 100%.;)

It's refreshing to see someone not on The Bush bandwagon. Even if I disagree with you. I look at Bush at more than just your everyday running back. His real title should be Weapon-Reggie Bush because that's exactly what he is and will be in the pros. His size does not concern me and he's much stronger than people realize. The young man is a tremendous athlete and a physical specimen. This isn't some cute little fast scatback. He's a chiseled race horse. I don't worry about stamina with him. He touched the ball so much at USC from running the ball to catching it and returning kicks. Played at full speed on every play. This guy is a difference maker. True difference makers like him don't come around often.

If you have him on your team and all he does for you is play the generic position of RB. Then you are wasting his talent. He could be an all pro WR if he wanted to in the pros.

YJF

Nice post but i disagree on nearly every point (please don't take this personally) - i've read your stuff for months and it's not just to you its to every one who loves super mario

if as you say the draft is full of 3-4 defensive players from 1 to 7 (and i agree) why in the name of all that is holy would Tangini take a 290 pounder who runs a 4.6 and waste his talents at 3-4 DE? Plugging two gaps? They could get Rod Wright in the 2nd or Kedric Golston in the 4th round and fill the same need.

Mario I don't think he should play 3-4 DE that's essentially a DT's position. He could but it's like taking a cadillac to a demolition derby. Mario only had 1 great year and he was on a DL with 2 other studs.

Don't get me wrong I love upside and ridiculous size speed ratios but he's not Reggie White, Bruce Smith or Julius Peppers coming out. Great physical special but got most of his production against miserable RT's in one on one drills against bad teams in unclutch situations. 3 sacks against So Miss yeah great - who cares?

There is no way a great team could roll double coverage to Mario with McCargo and Lawson around. All three are first day picks, and conceivable (but unlikely) all three are first rounders.

also vince young is miserable. He throws like a kid skipping stones. he's not really even fast enough to be a quality WR convert. Cmon bro.

cheers :cheers:

HOW? I believe Mario is LE and Ferguson is LT... It may be Butler who played at RT opposing Ferguson.

YJF

Nice post but i disagree on nearly every point (please don't take this personally) - i've read your stuff for months and it's not just to you its to every one who loves super mario

if as you say the draft is full of 3-4 defensive players from 1 to 7 (and i agree) why in the name of all that is holy would Tangini take a 290 pounder who runs a 4.6 and waste his talents at 3-4 DE? Plugging two gaps? They could get Rod Wright in the 2nd or Kedric Golston in the 4th round and fill the same need.

Mario I don't think he should play 3-4 DE that's essentially a DT's position. He could but it's like taking a cadillac to a demolition derby. Mario only had 1 great year and he was on a DL with 2 other studs.

Don't get me wrong I love upside and ridiculous size speed ratios but he's not Reggie White, Bruce Smith or Julius Peppers coming out. Great physical special but got most of his production against miserable RT's in one on one drills against bad teams in unclutch situations. 3 sacks against So Miss yeah great - who cares?

There is no way a great team could roll double coverage to Mario with McCargo and Lawson around. All three are first day picks, and conceivable (but unlikely) all three are first rounders.

also vince young is miserable. He throws like a kid skipping stones. he's not really even fast enough to be a quality WR convert. Cmon bro.

cheers :cheers:

Nice post. I don't take any of this personally. I like differing opinions. The posts that I tend to react to the most are the ones where there is a different opinion than mine. I find those the most interesting. It's good to see other people's viewpoints.

I don't think that you would be wasting Mario Williams talents at 3-4 DE. Plus I don't think that with The Jets, He'd be limited to doing just that. I think they'd play him all over the place.

The whole concept of Mangini's defense is finding players who are versatile and can do everything. Mario's talents don't go against that, His talents are exactly the type that Mangini wants. Mario Williams has prototypical 3-4 DE size and has the power and wingspan to play that spot but he's also 4-3 compatitible at DE and DT. You can even stand him up and rush him from the outside. You know how rare a skillset this guy has. Show me another player in the entire league who has that type of skillset, forget about the draft.

Oh by the way, Mario killed our boy D'Brick in competition.

Vince Young's speed is not what made him a great scrambler in college. He's not a speed player. So if you were waiting for a 4.3 from him in workouts, You are watching the wrong player in college. Young's "skipping stones" throws led him to higher completion percentage in college than both Leinart and Cutler. Young's instincts for the position is what makes him a potential star and what made him a man among boys in college.

Instincts is what made Jonathan Vilma one of the games best young linebackers and you guys wanted to move him to safety and thought that taking him at 12 was too high a couple of years ago. Yet D-Rob with his grand total of 4 college sacks was worthy of two first rounders, a 4th and being picked top 5.

Nice post. I don't take any of this personally.

Bullsh$t.

Opinions are very personal, don't let anybody tell you different.

YJF, when you get to be OJF, you'll have a much better appreciation of what I am taking about.;)

Anyway, I always bust bit's chops (just about DFat;) ), but I always respect the hell out of his opinion.

Instincts is what made Jonathan Vilma one of the games best young linebackers and you guys wanted to move him to safety and thought that taking him at 12 was too high a couple of years ago. Yet D-Rob with his grand total of 4 college sacks was worthy of two first rounders, a 4th and being picked top 5.

wreer! watch out the claws are coming out!!!

nah j/k it's all fair enough

If people hear something and remember it later to criticize me with it that's an honor.

for the record people remember what i said about Vilma in Apr they don't remember what i said about him in January.

posted a diatribe "know what Terry is thinking post" DJ vs Vilma that was in Jan and I thought Vilma would be better at the time. some might remember it, others won't and I'm not paying 55 dollars to get search access and prove a point.

We all learn from our experiences. I'll admit it i've said some dumb s--t. It happens.

YJF this year when Vince Young is doodling in his coloring books, the last dude in the ESPN green room, remember this conversation. No one wants a guy who can't throw. You'd have to be as Dumb as Denny Green to make that pick. Maybe Matt Millen is that dumb but if it were up to me he wouldn't be on my board at all. He's that dangerous of a pick at QB.

Archived