Options at #4...

JetFanatic

First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Phil and I've been lurking these boards for quite sometime now. I'm a HUGE Jets fan and information I find here I can't find anywhere else. You guys are, like myself, obviously huge fans with vast knowledge and information about this Jet team. With that said, I know that I'm not the only one who absolutely can't wait for this upcoming draft. The importance of this draft sorta can't be put into words because we are rebuilding this team from the ground up with the new management and with the cuts and the free agent signings and all that other good stuff. In my opinion you can clearly see that the new regime is headed in the right direction just by taking note of the players they are signing, who if you didn't notice aren't necessarily the big name players everyone wants but rather Mangini-type players that will come to this team and play Mangini-type football which I think is way better than just getting the best player out there. There will be a no-nonsense attitude lurking around the lockerroom which I think will carry over to the field in no time. Now onto the draft...

As I've stated before this draft is HUGE for us. We have to have a perfect draft from the first round down to the seventh round and I think that the Mangini-Tannenbaum duo will do just that. The fact that we have 3 picks in the top 35 and 5 picks in the top 100 definitely doesn't hurt either. On that note, here we are sitting at #4 this year... In my opinion I think our decision is directly based on what the Saints do with the #2 pick due to the fact that I think Leinhart lands with the Titans without a doubt. Analyzing the Saints team you would see that their offensive line has some holes in it especially since they traded Gandy not too long ago. Now I think drafting according to needs would have them picking DeBrickashaw Ferguson with the #2 pick. Taking a look at their defensive line we see two, who I think, are above average ends in Will Smith and Charles Grant. Now if they just want to ignore needs and go for the best player available then they take Mario Williams with the #2 pick. If the first scenario plays out that leaves us staring at Mario Williams at #4 whom I think you just cannot pass up. People say that he's not a 3-4 end but look at it this way, if Julius Peppers was playing in a 3-4 defense out in Carolina do you think he wouldn't be overly productive... of course he would be he's a freak athlete. If on the other hand the second scenario plays out then I think we have a few options, not just Ferguson because this draft is loaded with talented offensive tackles. If Williams is picked #2 then I still see Ferguson as a strong option but you also have to look at AJ Hawk at 4 if not we could consider trading down and picking up a Haloti Ngata, a Michael Huff or another "impact player" whom we can immediately plug in and have them make an immediate impact on this team. On a final note my dream draft would have us trading down from the number 4 spot and picking up a Manny Lawson/Kamerion Wimbley hybrid sort of player along with one of the top OL talents in this draft via a Winston Justice or maybe even a Max Jean Giles. Anyway thanks for all who read this post hopefully I didn't bore you too much and I really do see this draft being the first step in the successful franchise that this team will turn out to be. Farewell.

Phil

First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Phil and I've been lurking these boards for quite sometime now. I'm a HUGE Jets fan and information I find here I can't find anywhere else. You guys are, like myself, obviously huge fans with vast knowledge and information about this Jet team. With that said, I know that I'm not the only one who absolutely can't wait for this upcoming draft. The importance of this draft sorta can't be put into words because we are rebuilding this team from the ground up with the new management and with the cuts and the free agent signings and all that other good stuff. In my opinion you can clearly see that the new regime is headed in the right direction just by taking note of the players they are signing, who if you didn't notice aren't necessarily the big name players everyone wants but rather Mangini-type players that will come to this team and play Mangini-type football which I think is way better than just getting the best player out there. There will be a no-nonsense attitude lurking around the lockerroom which I think will carry over to the field in no time. Now onto the draft...

As I've stated before this draft is HUGE for us. We have to have a perfect draft from the first round down to the seventh round and I think that the Mangini-Tannenbaum duo will do just that. The fact that we have 3 picks in the top 35 and 5 picks in the top 100 definitely doesn't hurt either. On that note, here we are sitting at #4 this year... In my opinion I think our decision is directly based on what the Saints do with the #2 pick due to the fact that I think Leinhart lands with the Titans without a doubt. Analyzing the Saints team you would see that their offensive line has some holes in it especially since they traded Gandy not too long ago. Now I think drafting according to needs would have them picking DeBrickashaw Ferguson with the #2 pick. Taking a look at their defensive line we see two, who I think, are above average ends in Will Smith and Charles Grant. Now if they just want to ignore needs and go for the best player available then they take Mario Williams with the #2 pick. If the first scenario plays out that leaves us staring at Mario Williams at #4 whom I think you just cannot pass up. People say that he's not a 3-4 end but look at it this way, if Julius Peppers was playing in a 3-4 defense out in Carolina do you think he wouldn't be overly productive... of course he would be he's a freak athlete. If on the other hand the second scenario plays out then I think we have a few options, not just Ferguson because this draft is loaded with talented offensive tackles. If Williams is picked #2 then I still see Ferguson as a strong option but you also have to look at AJ Hawk at 4 if not we could consider trading down and picking up a Haloti Ngata, a Michael Huff or another "impact player" whom we can immediately plug in and have them make an immediate impact on this team. On a final note my dream draft would have us trading down from the number 4 spot and picking up a Manny Lawson/Kamerion Wimbley hybrid sort of player along with one of the top OL talents in this draft via a Winston Justice or maybe even a Max Jean Giles. Anyway thanks for all who read this post hopefully I didn't bore you too much and I really do see this draft being the first step in the successful franchise that this team will turn out to be. Farewell.

Phil

Dude, on the right side of the keyboard, there is an "enter" key.

That makes paragraphs which, in turn, make your posts much easier to read.

Welcome to the board.

Dude, on the right side of the keyboard, there is an "enter" key.

That makes paragraphs which, in turn, make your posts much easier to read.

Welcome to the board.

Way to critisize the new guy tx, and make him feel welcome the way only you could do. Phil, dont let Tx get to ya, its his job here and what he gets paid the big bucks for. Welcome King Phillip....

Phil

Awesome first post!

I also agree that Mario could play 3-4 DE. Heck Gastineau did it for a couple years as well.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I actually totally forgot how I came across this site it was a long time ago. All I know is that I'm here to stay hehe. Tx, you're totally right. Looking over my post I could've easily used the enter key 2 or 3 more times. Thanks for the advice Vinnys, I rarely let anything get to me. That's how I manage to stay stress free. Well actually this upcoming draft is sort of stressing me out, but if the Jets draft well which I think they will then it will be all good. As long as they get either Ferguson or Williams at #4 which is pretty much a lock to happen barring any trade downs then Saturday will be great stress-free day for me.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I actually totally forgot how I came across this site it was a long time ago. All I know is that I'm here to stay hehe. Tx, you're totally right. Looking over my post I could've easily used the enter key 2 or 3 more times. Thanks for the advice Vinnys, I rarely let anything get to me. That's how I manage to stay stress free. Well actually this upcoming draft is sort of stressing me out, but if the Jets draft well which I think they will then it will be all good. As long as they get either Ferguson or Williams at #4 which is pretty much a lock to happen barring any trade downs then Saturday will be great stress-free day for me.

WTF, you could have used it 2 or 3 times on that post.

Keep in mind, the enter key is your friend

BTW, you made some great points.;)

I'm just busting chops Phil.

I'm the bad guy around here.:cheers:

I enjoy your perspective on the game of football.

I know man hehe. So as far as the draft goes, what do you see the Jets doing with that number 4 pick? Do they keep it? Trade down? Trade up?

Also, what's going on in Pats land? What are they looking to do with their first pick as far as the draft goes? To my knowledge they could use a running back due to the fact that Dillon isn't getting any younger. They could also use a linebacker with the loss of McGinest... a cornerback wouldn't hurt...

I know man hehe. So as far as the draft goes, what do you see the Jets doing with that number 4 pick? Do they keep it? Trade down? Trade up?

Also, what's going on in Pats land? What are they looking to do with their first pick as far as the draft goes? To my knowledge they could use a running back due to the fact that Dillon isn't getting any younger. They could also use a linebacker with the loss of McGinest... a cornerback wouldn't hurt...

Jetsfan5180 kept asking about the 4th pick in last nights chat. You can read the draft daddy response here:

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=494

TS,

Jets will trade down with the Raiders and take Ngata at #7.

Good call on the Pats, as usual.;)

I've given up trying to predict what direction they will go.

If it were up to me, I'd go LB, RB and CB.

Good talking to you again buddy.

TS,

Here's my call on the Pats -- they'll voluntarily transfer themselves to the CFL.

Repeat after me: Downward cycle

TS,

I think this might happen. If Brick is there that is how I go at 4. But I Ngata would really fill the biggest need. Let cranky knees play DE on a 3 man line. Then Ngata who might have cranky knees himself - his torn ACL is a few years back though - can be the first true NT the Jets have had in awhile.

I will be happy with Mario - Brick - Ngata with pick one.

I think this might happen. If Brick is there that is how I go at 4. But I Ngata would really fill the biggest need. Let cranky knees play DE on a 3 man line. Then Ngata who might have cranky knees himself - his torn ACL is a few years back though - can be the first true NT the Jets have had in awhile.

Damn, you love the drama, don't you?:eek:

TS,

Yeah I probably would have to go linebacker first here also, maybe a Manny Lawson or a Kamerion Wimbley. The thing is though if they're staring at DeAngelo Williams come pick #21 that they have to snag him and pick up a linebacker in the second round because I could be wrong but I think that the linebacker position is slightly deeper than the RB position.

Yeah I probably would have to go linebacker first here also, maybe a Manny Lawson or a Kamerion Wimbley. The thing is though if they're staring at DeAngelo Williams come pick #21 that they have to snag him and pick up a linebacker in the second round because I could be wrong but I think that the linebacker position is slightly deeper than the RB position.

Phil, your posts are so good, is there any chance you make love to me under the moonlight?....we would use a jets blanket to lay on if you want.

While I think the tackle position is our biggest need I wouldn't be mad if it were to be Ngata b/c of the lack of depth in the DT position in this draft. We can go with Ngata and still pick up a talented offensive lineman in the later rounds.

Phil, your posts are so good, is there any chance you make love to me under the moonlight?....we would use a jets blanket to lay on if you want.

LOLOL Vinny that was hilarious dude. If you can assure me that we'd be laying on a Jets blanket then you have yourself a deal, hehe.

LOLOL Vinny that was hilarious dude. If you can assure me that we'd be laying on a Jets blanket then you have yourself a deal, hehe.

Lol, that was just a test to see if you had a sense of humor. You will be fine here at JN. good times

Mario Williams _could_ play 3-4 DE but it's a waste of his talent. He'd almost be better served in the LT stand up 3-4 OLB pass rushing role, then to be burdened with the responsibillity of clogging two gaps.

People say Mangini thinks Williams can be his Seymour and maybe that's true - I think Ngata is a truer comparision since he can play every position on the line. Seymour played NT for a spell - I doubt we will see Mario at that position anytime soon.

Archived