Draft Daddy on Radio was asked about Mario to Texans 20 days ago

bitonti

Draft Daddy was asked about the possibility of Mario to Texans rumor exactly 20 days prior to draft day - this was what I said with Marc Eisenberg on Miami's 790 AM theTicket.

"...that's what the draft is all about. Everybody tries to predict it and everyone thinks they know what's going to happen, then the day of the draft comes, there's gonna be a curveball. Ya never know where it's going to be, it could be at the #1 slot. It would not surprise me if something happened with a trade or an unorthodox pick very early on Saturday."

Download MP3

**** ESPN's Sal Paolantonio has reported from the NYJ compound in Hofstra and said Mike Tannenbaum's statement to him was that the Jets are interested in exploring all their options but "won't do anything irrational."

Clearly the Jets are interested but keep in mind Tannenbaum came from Tulane (cum laude) and got his start with the Saints. These negotations will be tough and it will be about pride for the first time GM to make his first move a smart one.

The point system works out that picks 4, 29, and 71 are actually more than the 800 points needed to jump from 2 to 4. The implication is that if the Jets want Bush bad enough, they can trade those picks and do it tonight. The deal could possibly be done with NO giving a very late round to even out the point differential.

In addition to the Jets, the 49ers, Raiders, Packers all are also reportedly talking Trade with NO for Bush. San Francisco also has 2 first round selections.

Another factor here for teams trying to trade up is that neither the Saints nor Titans really need RB - if the Saints for whatever reason don't get a deal done, Bush could just drop to 3 where the price would be less steep or even 4 where the Jets would give up nothing.

It's chaotic in the draft waters tonight but it's assumed by most that a deal will get done for Bush - and when that happens Saints could make that deal depending not only on the value chart but where they exactly want to move in that top 10.

Bottom line for draft fans right now - the NY Jets and the SF 49ers - in terms of sheer draft ammo and desire to deal up - have the early lead for Bush sweepstakes that started roughly 8 hours ago. As we have just been reminded anything can happen but it's clear these two teams are going to be major players in a possible trade up.

Bring Reggie Bush to NY or SF it will be a media coup in either market. As for Texans GM Charlie Casserly put his job on the line with this pick. For the rest of the league, including New Orleans in the catbird seat, it's time to go big or go home.

Bush and Alex Smith were High School teammates. Are they friends? Sign-ability? Bush would make lots of extra dough in NYC. A wash?

San Fran has #6 ,#22, and #84(I think).

We have #4, #29, #35, and #71.

I'd say we have a leg up if Tangini is thinking of moving up, no?

Bush and Alex Smith were High School teammates. Are they friends? Sign-ability? Bush would make lots of extra dough in NYC. A wash?

San Fran has #6 ,#22, and #84(I think).

We have #4, #29, #35, and #71.

I'd say we have a leg up if Tangini is thinking of moving up, no?

plus I just dont see Bush as a good fit in San Francisco ;)

do u do it bit? or do u hold out an dhope he drops to 4 , get him then for free or if he is gone use both #1s for the depth we need,,,

the Jets have more leverage than fans realize

but i am a fan not a GM and hence prone to quick irrational exuberance - i'd hire a professional to do the negotiations.

Personally I'd do it but maybe not until they just before are on the clock. Remember they have to move Bush - we don't have to buy him. Other teams will give good offers but no one will give them a pick as high as 4 - it's 2 slots.

maybe this is just me..but i was under the impression that the saints wanted d'brickshaw. And since mario is off the board, id have to think it'll be either D'brick or Bush for the Jets. Which means if the saints trade down past us, they dont get their guy. If im right, that proves bit's point even more--that we have the leverage here, not the saints.

Archived