The Mangini Mold

Writeguy

They also have "leadership" qualities.

I see a pattern too.

Let's hope they can play in the NFL. I have total confidence that Mangini will put them in position to succeed. These seem to be specific assignment types who have to be ready to go into and come off the the field on a moments notice without hesitation.

Herm's team's were notorious for 12 men on the field. That's either a reflection on leadership or on the players, or both.

The one thing I just keep on telling myself is Mangini was on that staff that held the 2001 Rams- THE MOST PROLIFIC OFFENSE IN NFL HISTORY- to 12 points in the superbowl.

Smart linebackers and defensive backs are essential for this system. We already have Vilma, but we need a few more.

I'll reserve judgement until the season gets underway. We'll know by mid-September whether this was a team that spent the whole summer BBQ'ing or training.

Don't know if they threw it out the window with one major exception-LT. Parcells and Bellichcik inherited him more or less rather than picked him. If you're going to make an exception for a bad guy based on talent that talent justified it. Heard Bellichcik's biographer, David Halberstam, say the Bellichick thought at some point towards the end of his tenure with the Jints that LT was being given too much leeway, way beyond his contribution to the team. But that Bellichick was never going to overrule anyone and bench him. LT became bigger than the team, and while it worked for a while -2 Lombardis-the Jints paid a price later.

Don't know if they threw it out the window with one major exception-LT. Parcells and Bellichcik inherited him more or less rather than picked him. If you're going to make an exception for a bad guy based on talent that talent justified it. Heard Bellichcik's biographer, David Halberstam, say the Bellichick thought at some point towards the end of his tenure with the Jints that LT was being given too much leeway, way beyond his contribution to the team. But that Bellichick was never going to overrule anyone and bench him. LT became bigger than the team, and while it worked for a while -2 Lombardis-the Jints paid a price later.

True.

However, I personally dont want Mangini to limit himself. What separates Parcells from others is obvioulsy his ability to coach, but also is that he'll take a chance on a guy who has talent, but needs some guidance.

Not everyone's Parcells, but somewhere down the line Mangini's going to have to deal with a guy that doesn't fit his "mold"

True.

However, I personally dont want Mangini to limit himself. What separates Parcells from others is obvioulsy his ability to coach, but also is that he'll take a chance on a guy who has talent, but needs some guidance.

Not everyone's Parcells, but somewhere down the line Mangini's going to have to deal with a guy that doesn't fit his "mold"

Besides LT I see the guys that Parcells and BB bring in that have supposed character flaws are really just tired of losing or tired of not getting paid what they think they deserve. They are still hard workers and do not get arrested or into drugs off the field. Mangini will definitely have to take on one of these players at some point. But not this early in his tenure. He is still trying to get the whole locker room to buy into his philosophy.

I started this thread to gather insights about our new coach. It's veered off to a discussion of our old coach.

The word that most intrigues me in describing Mangini's selections is the word, "smart." Mangini is a graduate of Weslyan - one of the "Little Ivies." Pretty smart guy, and I think he relates best to players who are pretty smart - and who are also hard-working role players.

I started this thread to gather insights about our new coach. It's veered off to a discussion of our old coach.

The word that most intrigues me in describing Mangini's selections is the word, "smart." Mangini is a graduate of Weslyan - one of the "Little Ivies." Pretty smart guy, and I think he relates best to players who are pretty smart - and who are also hard-working role players.

Writeguy, I hear ya.

Look, you can't outmuscle the other guy, he's just as trained and athletic as you. You can't outrun the other guy- he's just as fast as you.

You have to out think the opponent. These are the guys Mangini is targeting: classic overachievers with a chip on their shoulder; guys who do the dirty work and get none of the glory. Offensive linemen, by their nature are exactly that. They get no glory. The other guys? Their profiles strike me as players that are going to bring a high level of competition to TC, something that has been lacking for quite some time. Nobody is penciled in as a starter.

Do you want to be the WR bumped down the depth chart by a rookie who played QB in college? Do you want to be the Linebacker that gets replaced by Schlegel? Schlegel not only wants your job, he's determined to get it.

Wait until these guys get a playbook this summer. Then we'll see if the 3rd round was the big bust or not.

Excellent insights.

The best teams usually don't dominate the individual stats.

Another positive spin I take off this draft-

Mangini must not think our D-linemen suck, only that they haven't been properly coached.

Specifically Bryan Thomas.

As another poster pointed out, it all starts up front. The O-line (on paper anyway) is improved, therefore the running game will improve, the QB won't be running for his life after the snap, Coles can get some passes and make things happen.

The defense won't be on the field 40 minutes a game.

Instead of forcing square pegs into round holes, Mangini will find roles for players like Bryan Thomas etc.

Bottom line, he needs guys that can get on and off the field quickly, and know when to.

I think those are the guys he targeted in the 3rd round.

Instead of forcing square pegs into round holes, Mangini will find roles for players like Bryan Thomas etc.

Good coaches know (forgive the cliche) that you're only as good as your weakest link. I do believe that Mangini will get a lot of players into the game and develop their skills to the max. The team will have depth of experience at every position.

The payoff will be in the playoffs.

Archived