Best and Worst Drafts

PeterNorth09

Best Drafts:

New England. They completely revamped the O. Maroney, Chad Jackson, Garrett Mills I like all of those guys. The steal was Ryan O'Callaghan in Round 5. That guy is a big, monstrous beast who will be a huge RG for them. Their running game is going to be sick. Dave Thomas was a wierd pick but I'll give them the benefit.

Niners. They got the best receiver in the draft, Davis, and Manny Lawson is going to be a very good defensive player for them. Vernon Davis will actually make Alex Smith not look like a total bust.

Philly. Brodrick Bunkley AND Winston Justice? Are you kidding me? That is just damn solid. The second best DT and OT in the draft. Who knows, Bunkley and Justice may end up being the best players at their positions. They have the talent to do that.

Houston. At first I didn't like Mario Williams at 1. However, they already have Domanick so they didn't need Bush. They addressed the O-line by drafting Charles Spencer and Eric Winston.

Worst Drafts:

Buffalo. Donte Whitner at 8? You gotta be kidding me. McCargo in Round 1? I know Gabe Watson fell but I still like him a lot better than McCargo. I think Buffalo is purposely trying to get worse so they can bomb their attendance and move to LA.

Detroit. Anything they do is bad. Just have to assume so.

Bottom Line, teams that waited to address the O-line in later rounds got rewarded very nicely.

Wow... did you actually look at the Lions draft? Yeah, it wasn't great, but not among the worst.

Sims... not in favor of. Daniel Bullocks is an actual Tampa 2 Free Saftey. Brain Calhoon fills a need for speed. Jon Scott and Fred Matua were two day one offensive linemen that they got in the fifth and seventh rounds. Dee McCann comes from a great football program, and is going to a staff where they have Donnie Henderson, who can develop secondary (Erik Coleman, Chris McAllister). The Lions didn't do that bad.

And neither did the Jets.

Here's for you, Mr. Jets message board poster!

broken-record.jpg

(all credit goes to those who thought of it)

The steal was Ryan O'Callaghan in Round 5. That guy is a big, monstrous beast who will be a huge RG for them. Their running game is going to be sick.

Good call on O'Callaghan.

I think he will be the Pats RT fixture for years to come.

Light, Mankins, Koppen, Kazcur and O'Callaghan.:eek:

How does NE continue to have these sick drafts? And then us Jets fans wonder why they own us all the time.

Oh and BTW, Pats DLine of Warren, Wilfork and Seymour is not too shabby either.;)

You build teams through the OLine and DLine.

Thank god the Pats get it.

Oh and BTW, Pats DLine of Warren, Wilfork and Seymour is not too shabby either.;)

Seems to me like the Jets are attempting to do that... and yet, that's not good enough for some people around here....

Never happy unless they're complaining. The life of a Jets fan.

I don't think Peter understands the concept that the game is won in the trenches, and not by drafting fancy "big-name" players.

Seems to me like the Jets are attempting to do that... and yet, that's not good enough for some people around here....

Never happy unless they're complaining. The life of a Jets fan.

I think the Jets had an outstanding draft.

BTW, anybody go back and see who PatsFanTX said the Jets should draft at #4 and #29.;)

And JetMoses makes a great point about developing players.

It's so true.

I don't think Peter understands the concept that the game is won in the trenches, and not by drafting fancy "big-name" players.

I think his point was the same as mine has been for the last 4 weeks.

You can build an offensive line through the later rounds of the draft without sacrificing your ability to get playmakers at the top of the draft.

The Patriots have proved it once again, which is why they are still at the "head of the class" in the AFC East. So did the Eagles.

We missed the boat again, because in a draft that was loaded with playmakers on both sides of the ball, we got none of them.

I think the Jets had an outstanding draft.

BTW, anybody go back and see who PatsFanTX said the Jets should draft at #4 and #29.;)

And JetMoses makes a great point about developing players.

It's so true.

you ok Tx? I mean, with you patting yourself on the back so much, have you broken your arm yet? ;)

I think his point was the same as mine has been for the last 4 weeks.

You can build an offensive line through the later rounds of the draft without sacrificing your ability to get playmakers at the top of the draft.

The Patriots have proved it once again, which is why they are still at the "head of the class" in the AFC East. So did the Eagles.

We missed the boat again, because in a draft that was loaded with playmakers on both sides of the ball, we got none of them.

Take playmakers Round 1, offensive line right after that. That was what Parcells did when he was here and it always worked. The Jets built some good offensive lines in the later rounds. Our offensive line was good until last year when Kevin Mawae and Jason Fabini got old and broke down and we let Kareem Mackenzie leave via free agency.

But hey, who needs playmakers when the Jets have the best back-up Center in the NFL?

Take playmakers Round 1, offensive line right after that. That was what Parcells did when he was here and it always worked. The Jets built some good offensive lines in the later rounds. Our offensive line was good until last year when Kevin Mawae and Jason Fabini got old and broke down and we let Kareem Mackenzie leave via free agency.

But hey, who needs playmakers when the Jets have the best back-up Center in the NFL?

I'm with you, Pete.

Been saying it for weeks.

Playmakers early, offensive linemen later rounds and through FA.

There were three linemen taken in Round 1 this year, and we took two of 'em.

Ughhh.

The Tuna's Playmakers when he was here....

2000 1 1 12 12 Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee

2 1 13 13 John Abraham LB South Carolina

3 1 18 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall

4 1 27 27 Anthony Becht TE West Virginia

5 3 16 78 Laveranues Coles WR Florida State

6 5 14 143 Windrell Hayes WR USC

7 6 13 179 Tony Scott DB North Carolina State

8 7 12 218 Richard Seals DT Utah

1999 1 2 26 57 Randy Thomas G Mississippi State

2 3 29 90 David Loverne G San Jose State

3 4 28 123 Jason Wiltz DT Nebraska

4 5 29 162 Jermaine Jones DB Northwest Louisiana

5 6 14 183 Marc Megna LB Richmond

6 6 28 197 J.P. Machado G Illinois

7 7 17 223 Ryan Young T Kansas State

8 7 29 235 J.J. Syvrud DE Jamestown

1998 1 2 26 56 Dorian Boose DT Washington State

2 3 6 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska

3 3 26 87 Kevin Williams DB Oklahoma State

4 4 19 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati

5 5 11 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern

6 5 18 141 Doug Karczewski T Virginia

7 5 23 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon

8 5 26 149 Eric Bateman T Brigham Young

9 6 10 163 Eric Ogbogu DT Maryland

10 6 21 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State

11 6 30 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young

12 7 6 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern

1997 1 1 8 8 James Farrior LB Virginia

2 2 1 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina

3 3 28 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa

4 4 6 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State

5 4 8 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina

6 5 1 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina

7 5 15 145 Raymond Austin DB Tennessee

8 6 1 164 Tim Scharf LB Northwestern

9 6 28 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston

10 7 1 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado

11 7 28 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

You don't have playmakers though unless you are strong on the OL and DL.

If anyone watched the Jets last year you saw an offensive line that may have been one of the worst in league history.

Drafting Ferguson and Mangold in the first round are the first steps in putting the Jets back on track.

There are going to be playmakers in every draft. Depending on how the Jets finish we could all be screaming for the Jets to be drafting Brady Quinn the same way the Jets fans was screaming for the Jets to draft Leinhert or trade up for Bush.

This is a rebuilding job that is not going to be done overnight. What Mangini and Tannenbaum this weekend was lay the foundation for hopefully a push for the Super Bowl in 2007 or 2008.

Drafting Ferguson and Mangold in the first round are the first steps in putting the Jets back on track.

There is a huge difference in selecting "playmakers" versus "foundation" players.

Ferguson and Mangold are the latter.

It's not like the Jets were going to compete for the Super Bowl in 2006.

That's when you select "playmakers". Otherwise, you build the foundation for a long-term plan.

You don't have playmakers though unless you are strong on the OL and DL.

If anyone watched the Jets last year you saw an offensive line that may have been one of the worst in league history.

There are going to be playmakers in every draft. Depending on how the Jets finish we could all be screaming for the Jets to be drafting Brady Quinn the same way the Jets fans was screaming for the Jets to draft Leinhert or trade up for Bush.

This is a rebuilding job that is not going to be done overnight. What Mangini and Tannenbaum this weekend was lay the foundation for hopefully a push for the Super Bowl in 2007 or 2008.

I never said the offensive line wasn't important.

You're missing the point.

Playmakers are for the first round because there's less of them. That's why they make more money.

Linemen are for later rounds because there are more of them. That's why they typically make less money. And you can get very good ones cheaper later in the draft and through Free Agency. Ask the Steelers. Most of their starting offensive line were signed as free agents.

It's been proven time and time again.

Playmakers are for the first round because there's less of them. That's why they make more money.

Linemen are for later rounds because there are more of them. That's why they typically make less money. And you can get very good ones cheaper later in the draft and through Free Agency. Ask the Steelers. Most of their starting offensive line were signed as free agents.

Joe Willie, when was the last time the Steelers went 4-12?

Our team is coming off a 5 year debacle in which it was run into the ground by Bradway and Hermo.

There is a huge difference in selecting "playmakers" versus "foundation" players.

That's when you select "playmakers". Otherwise, you build the foundation for a long-term plan.

Marino and Rothliesberger aside, a quarterback usually takes years to develop.

That's why you take 'em when you can get them (ie.Elway, Aikman, etc...).

Jets let a couple of good ones get away in this draft.

If a perfect score for a player is 100, and D-Brick is 100, my point is we could have gotten closer to 100 at left tackle later in the draft, then at QB.

We got a good player at #4, but we could have taken care of that need with a very good LT at 35 while choosing a guy who can put points on the board at #4.

I hope we don't rue the day.

If a perfect score for a player is 100, and D-Brick is 100, my point is we could have gotten closer to 100 at left tackle later in the draft, then at QB.

We got a good player at #4, but we could have taken care of that need with a very good LT at 35 while choosing a guy who can put points on the board at #4.

Hindsight is 20-20. If we are going to deal in "what if's", what if Clemens turns out to be a better QB than Leinart? Who knows.

Willie, it looks like we'll just have to disagree.

Nothing wrong with that BTW.

Hindsight is 20-20. If we are going to deal in "what if's", what if Clemens turns out to be a better QB than Leinart? Who knows.

It ain't 20-20 hindsight if you've been saying it weeks before the draft.

If Clemens turns out to be better than Leinart, then I'm wrong on this one.

But I doubt that will happen.

We'll see.

Good discussion.

Damn it! Quit making sense!

Looks like 25 of the first 39 taken were def players. Of the 14 off players, 6 play on the offensive line. A lot of GMs did not subscribe to your theory that playmakers have to be taken in the first round.

Looks like 25 of the first 39 taken were def players. Of the 14 off players, 6 play on the offensive line. A lot of GMs did not subscribe to your theory that playmakers have to be taken in the first round.

Playmakers play on both sides of the ball, Chief.

Mario Williams is a "playmaker". Sacks force turnovers.

AJ Hawk is a playmaker.

Reggie Bush is a playmaker. The man will score 10-15 TD's this year.

Michael Huff is a playmaker. Interceptions are turnover that usually lead to points.

D'Brick is not a playmaker. He's a very good player. But he's not a "play maker". And we could have gotten someone "comparable" a bit later.

But we'll agree to disagree.

That's fine JW and happy birthday.

Looked like you were referring to offensive players.

That's fine JW and happy birthday.

Looked like you were referring to offensive players.

JC - I read what I wrote and you're right.

I meant "playmakers" as in defensive as well. I was actually a big advocate of Mario or AJ at #4.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Cheers!

I beg to differ. Only one of our starting O-linemen was signed as a FA, Jeff Hartings. Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Kendall Simmons and Max Starks were all early round picks.

I beg to differ. Only one of our starting O-linemen was signed as a FA, Jeff Hartings. Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Kendall Simmons and Max Starks were all early round picks.

What the hell was that stat they showed on ESPN.

19 of the Steelers 22 starters on offense and defense were acquired through the draft?

That is friggn' amazing.:eek:

Archived