A conversation with Leon Washington

JetCane

From scout:

conversation with Leon Washington

By: Craig Thomas

Date: Apr 30, 2006

Q)What are your thoughts on being drafted by the Jets?

Washington: I am happy. I feel blessed. It took a little while, but I knew the Jets liked me. My agent (Dave Butz) let me know about that. I am in a good position right now.

Q)Your thoughts on being drafted on the second day?

I knew there was a possibility that I would go the second day, so yesterday I sat down with my family, we didn

Going to be a long shot in my opinion making this team. Playing at his height at the college level is one thing, playing in the NFL where the guys are bigger and stronger is another thing...good luck!

emmitt smith was 5'8"

Brian Westbrook is 5'8" and that is how they will use him-The same way the Eagles use Westbrook.

Everyone-Please understand this-Forget everyuthing you have seen in how players have been used by the Jets over the course of the last 20 years. It is going to change. Players will not get full time reps, and beholden to one position.

They will be used by situation and how they can be used to make the team successful at any given point.

Get used to the new era.

Guys, I'm not saying he can't get it done...it's not going to be easy. Those guys mentioned all became stars...how many at 5'8 and below don't?

It won't be easy, that's true, but this kid is a pretty dag'on good football player overall. I think he'll stick and contibute if he stays healthy.

• 5 months later...

I knew he was going to be a good kick returner, but I will be honest I didn't think he would be big enough to play as an every down back. I still don't think so, I would love him to be our main back. Leon has worked hard to get where he is. But, if we draft low enough and Bush from Louisville comes out for this years draft. I would love to take him. So we can have a big bruiser and a shifty tandem at rb.

Archived