The "Close But No Cigar" Episode of POTW - May 10, 2006

GreenBeans

Holy cow!

Not one, but two perpetual "also-rans" came very, very close to breaking their POTW cherry this week. But alas, it wasn't quite in the cards for either of them. So sorry, try again next time. We do, however, have a first time winner of POTW this week.

Despite the fact that this post is yet another rehash on the story-telling skills of the Jets former bozo head coach (you know, the guy with the BBQ), it was to ogood to pass up. This will be the last - unless there is another to ogood to pass up - POTW that will be awarded on the topic. Soooooooooo, congratulations go out to Thor99 for his award winning post this week. The winning post was:

You see, a football game is like a burnt steak. Two sides to a steak, two halfs in a game. You always put your steak in the middle of the grill, you always run up the middle. If your defense spends too much time on the field, you're gonna get burned. If your steak spends too much time on the the grill, it's gonna burn.

It's like my daddy once told me. Broccoli is like cauliflower, only green and different. I took that to heart, and that's how I live my life to this day.

Congratulations again to Thor99 on his first POTW win. The other posts considered this week were:

(Topic: Mike T)

Originally Posted by SeniorFlaJet

On Total Access any minute now.

Originally Posted by nvot9

Channel? Sorry if that was a dumb question.

-----

(Topic: New Feature at JN)

Originally Posted by GreenBeans

For my 1500th post, I've talked Max into allowing me to present the newest feature that JN is starting. It's called "vBeads" and you can earn them in a very Cajun kind of way. vBeads are earned the same way that the regular beads are in New Orleans - you gotta show'em to get'em. vBeads will make JN the equivallent of Marti Gras on the Web. For now, to earn your vBeads, please send your photos to greenbeans@jetnation.com and cc maxman@jetnation.com for quality assurance purposes. We'll "see" (wink wink) y'all real soon!

GB

-----

(Topic: Catchers Interference)

Originally Posted by Maxman

Thank You!

The ump said to me, it is not catcher's interference because the ball was hit foul. I laughed. The truly funny part is that they called it a strike.

So for the 1st 2 pitches the catcher should just lunge at the batter. 2 free strikes. Couldn't believe he called it like that. I said of course he hit it foul, the catchers glove hit his bat.

Originally Posted by PFSIKH

SHould we expect to see your name in the paper when you beat the crap out of some 15yo umpire soon?

-----

Update # 2: Smizzy now owns all the anal beads. That promotion is now over.

-----

(Post Topic: Max, Smizzy - I Think We've Got A Winner For The Potw!)

Originally Posted by Verde

Yeah but do they have a PayPal link??

-----

Runner-up of the Week Presented by PatsFanTX

Originally Posted by Phinsuck

Overall I didn't think we did bad, I just think we could have done a lot better. I feel like we could have hit a home run out of the park but instead we hit a single.

Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

Do you think a "home run" would take a 4-12 football team to the promised land?

The Jets had more holes to fill than Jenna Jameson.

Dude, if you can't see the direction that Mangini and company are taking the Jets, you are completely missing the boat.

-----

(Topic: Cry Baby)

Originally Posted by winB4eyeDIE

I got a little misty not to long ago watching Mark Messier's jersey raising ceremony. I almost lost it when he lifted The Cup, My wife saw me, and asked me if I was gonna cry when we had our baby (she's pregnant). I told her if she comes out holding up the Stanley Cup, yeah probably.

-----

(Topic: Sean Salisbury just said...)

Originally Posted by YJF

Actually, I heard that he had Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari do it. Herm didn't know which way to move The T-Bone. Gunther Cunningham tried to come in and give his 2 cents on the matter and Edwards punched him. As usual, Herm's right hand man or as Herm refers to him, This guy next to me, Dick Curl came in and stopped the melee, ironically just a few seconds too late. As The T-Bone burned.

Herman Edwards did make a great speech after this incident that made everyone forget about what had just happened to The T-Bone and Gunther's face. Carl Peterson who was on hand gave Edwards a contract extension on the spot.

Sean Salisbury(Fitting last name for Herm's cooking rep) is praising Edwards for not letting a bad situation get worse.

I agree with Sean. Herm knows how to handle a bad situation that he was responsible for and still come out the hero.

-----

Originally Posted by Savage69

Absolutly Correct Bit!! :cheers: Plus the name Gocong doesn't sit well with any Vet from the 60's...Right JFF!! :eek:

-----

Originally Posted by JetFanFl

ROTLMAO...you're right...how in the world would I able to chant "GO CONG"...

-----

Originally Posted by PeterNorth09

Depth:

- Martin - 33 and coming off a bad injury.

- Blaylock - sucks

- Houstan - injured from a car accident and not good to begin with

- Askew - scrub

- Smith - scrub

(Note: Nominated with EXTREME SARACASM)

-----

(Topic: Who cares about the Yankees/Red Sox)

Originally Posted by PFSIKH (NICE JOB, SIKH!!)

WWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

We cannot help it the Mess are the fifth most popular team in NYC behind the Yankees, Giants, Dodgers and Sox.

-----

(Topic: Jets Draftees had the best average Wonderlic scores)

Originally Posted bygsnts725

according to NYDAILYNEWS: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...p-351059c.html

Hot List

The best and worst scores for team's draft choices on Wonderlic intelligence test at this year's NFL combine:

The High 5

1. Jets 28.0

2. Eagles 26.9

3. Rams 26.1

4. Seahawks 26.0

5. Texans 25.6

The Low 5

32. Jaguars 18.6

31. Titans 19.0

30. Bengals 19.0

29. Chiefs 19.3

28. Cowboys 19.3

Originally Posted by SeniorFlaJet

Look at Kansas City. Herm didn't want anyone smarter than him.

Originally Posted by Savage69

Hermie could go to a Morgue and still be the most Brain dead stiff there!

-----

Paper matchups mean nothing. Once Mystique and Aura get liquored up, Boston won't have a chance!

Originally Posted by Garb

um.....wrong site, Max. Mystique and Aura are the male strippers you've been trying to "meet" at GirlyMenDateYankeeFans.com messageboard. I hear of a lot of folks that have had some "success" meeting "partners" over the net. Good luck with that, Maxie!

-----

Originally Posted by Bob

Could we PLEASE just give Texas back to Mexico? That place is screwing up the whole country.

Originally Posted by J-MAC_81

You kiddin me Bob? Where would we be without the Texan president whose best presidential moment is catching a fish?

-----

Originally Posted by Tinstar

How many Preseason games did the jets win last yr.

Originally Posted by faba

The preseason results mean nothing- building a new atmosphere and environment is what we want to accomplish in training camp- team concept and to go all out at all times

------

Originally Posted by Thor99

What TX says at his job.

Originally Posted by DieHardJetFan

"You want fries with that?"

-----

Originally Posted by faba

You have people on this site 100 times more knowledgable than those guys

Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

Thanks faba,

I appreciate the compliment.

-----

There it is, the week that was in POTW land. Be sure to nominate your favorites, kids. You gotta be in it to win it!

Late!

GB

Nah, I've just come to realize that Beans is a complete A-Hole who has a vendetta against me.

in other words...

"nobody loves me, everybody hates me, i think i'll go eat worms..."

:yawn:

dont blame beanie for your lack of talent and humor tx... it is unbecoming... even for you.

in other words...

"nobody loves me, everybody hates me, i think i'll go eat worms..."

:yawn:

dont blame beanie for your lack of talent and humor tx... it is unbecoming... even for you.

Whoa, look who has returned from her cross-country road trip with the 10th grade AV club.

Welcome back gg.:eek:

Whoa, look who has returned from her cross-country road trip with the 10th grade AV club.

Welcome back gg.:eek:

say it aint so, tx.... you missed me??? :lol:

how sweet is that!

hey you need some one to keep you in place...remind you that you are two steps below a mere mortal. ;)

:box:

I thought for sure this post would have gotten nominated...

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day.... unfortunately for you Peter North you are not a broken clock."

ROTFL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor99

You see, a football game is like a burnt steak. Two sides to a steak, two halfs in a game. You always put your steak in the middle of the grill, you always run up the middle. If your defense spends too much time on the field, you're gonna get burned. If your steak spends too much time on the the grill, it's gonna burn.

It's like my daddy once told me. Broccoli is like cauliflower, only green and different. I took that to heart, and that's how I live my life to this day.

___

good choice!

I thought for sure this post would have gotten nominated...

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day.... unfortunately for you Peter North you are not a broken clock."

That is pretty funny.:cool:

Beans must have been hitting the bottle early on Wednesday to completely miss that one.

That was funny as hell.

No one nominated the damn thing. It'll be in the line-up for next week for certain. Now pardon me while Jack D, Jose C, and I settle the rest of our business from Wednesday.

Archived