A pretty good Shaun Ellis story here....

SoFlaJets

New York Jets

Jets' Ellis a good fit for 3-4 defense

By Eric Krupka on May 31, 2006

Before telling you why New York Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis is an ideal player for the 3-4 defense the Jets employ, first I will explain what exactly the 3-4 defense is.

In order to explain it, first I will explain what one-gap and two-gap systems are. A one-gap or two-gap system scheme is devised based on the play called. Basically, on every play-call, a defensive lineman is responsible for one or two holes (gaps). In a one-gap system, the lineman will attack that hole, in order to either tackle the running back or get pressure on the quarterback. The main job is for the lineman to get penetration. One-gap systems are used in the 4-3 defense. In a two-gap scheme, the lineman is responsible for two gaps and his main job is to read the play and attack the more important gap. Often two-gap lineman are bigger, stronger, rely on power moves and are less athletic.

Now that you understand what one-gap and two-gap schemes are, I will describe what the 3-4 defense is. Every team uses a base defense which is either 3-4, or 4-3. Former Oklahoma Sooners head coach Bud Wilkinson is the father of the 3-4 defense. He came up with it in the 1940s. It uses three down linemen and four linebackers, thus the 3-4 title. The 3-4 defense is solely a two-gap system.

Jets left defensive end Shaun Ellis is a perfect fit in the 3-4 defense for a few reasons. For starters, at 6-5, 285 pounds, he has the size and strength needed to play in it. He has relied on power and strength his entire career. Also, Ellis has never been a pure speed-rusher, but has piled up numerous sacks because of his strength.

In his first seven years in the league, he has been both productive and durable. He has only missed three games his entire career, which has allowed him to tally 296 tackles and rack up a phenomenal 43 1/2 sacks.

When the New York Jets switch to the 3-4 defense this season, don't be surprised to hear Ellis' name frequently. With the defense suiting his style and ability level so well, it's easy for Jets fans to expect another Pro Bowl appearance for their defensive end. Undoubtedly, 2006 should be yet another great year for Ellis.

Ellis in the 3-4 might even be a better spot for him then in the 4-3. Ellis has the size for the 3-4 and if there is a NT found in the near future Ellis could be a 10+ sack a season guy for the team at DE in the 3-4.

Nice Avatar is that you in the modifed?

I wish it was me. It is my cousin. I am his crew chief and radio man. We race all over the northeast. I am impressed that you know it is a modified. Most people havent seen one before.

I wish it was me. It is my cousin. I am his crew chief and radio man. We race all over the northeast. I am impressed that you know it is a modified. Most people havent seen one before.

I come from a racing family. My father builds late models down in VA. He races Legends at old dominion. My grandfather used to race SCCA. Does your cousin race at Riverhead?

Those things are so BAD. Nothing like watching 20 of them flying at you coming into the corner screaming.

That track really is too small for them though.

I come from a racing family. My father builds late models down in VA. He races Legends at old dominion. My grandfather used to race SCCA. Does your cousin race at Riverhead?

Those things are so BAD. Nothing like watching 20 of them flying at you coming into the corner screaming.

That track really is too small for them though.

we race at riverhead when we want. we have been traveling to mountain speedway in pennsylvania for this year at least. It is all about money nowadays and Mountain has a bigger purse and costs less than Riverhead. If you know anyone looking to advertise their business let me know. I'll put the name on the side of the car and hauler.

we race at riverhead when we want. we have been traveling to mountain speedway in pennsylvania for this year at least. It is all about money nowadays and Mountain has a bigger purse and costs less than Riverhead. If you know anyone looking to advertise their business let me know. I'll put the name on the side of the car and hauler.

Send me a PM or whatever when you know you guys are gonna be in Riverhead. Always good to have someone to root for.Your driver a JETS fan?

Send me a PM or whatever when you know you guys are gonna be in Riverhead. Always good to have someone to root for.Your driver a JETS fan?

My driver is a jets fan. If you know racing you probably know his last name, Brunnhoelzl. It is a famous racing name.

My driver is a jets fan. If you know racing you probably know his last name, Brunnhoelzl. It is a famous racing name.

Ed Brunnhoelzl? A friend used to be a sponsor, not sure if he still is.

I grew up within walking distance to Riverhead Raceway, and actually used to work one of the concession stands.

You guys remember seeing the Raceway and the big indian on the Sopranos?

Ed Brunnhoelzl? A friend used to be a sponsor, not sure if he still is.

I grew up within walking distance to Riverhead Raceway, and actually used to work one of the concession stands.

You guys remember seeing the Raceway and the big indian on the Sopranos?

I grew up and still live in Riverhead. I live right on Osborn Ave right now. Who was the sponsor cause i would most likely know him. We are looking for more sponsors if anyone would be interested.

It is now actually Eddie Brunnhoelzl III in the race car. Eddie Jr. retired 2 years ago.

No offense intended... forget car racing here..

I think Ellis can handle 3-4 LE duty just fine despite his weight is rather lighter... He may lose a few battles at that end but what i worry the most is when he fails to control the end and strongside LBer could not stop the run in a nick of time....

Archived