Burress showing his attitude once again

Burress: No regrets missing Giants workouts

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Receiver Plaxico Burress has no regrets for failing to attend either a mandatory team meeting the day after the New York Giants 23-0 playoff loss to Carolina or any of the team's offseason optional workouts.

"No one was happy with the way the season ended," Burress said Thursday at minicamp in speaking to the media for the first time in five months. "If anyone was happy, they shouldn't be in this business. It was just my way of expressing my frustration over the situation, and I went back to Florida to improve on what I did last year.

"Nothing from that game was going to make me feel better," Burress added. "I consider myself to be one of the best players at my position in football. The fact that I failed to touch the football that day frustrated me a little. The way we went out was humiliating to me."

While he acknowledged that missing the team meeting the following day wasn't the right thing to do, Burress offered no apology.

"I don't feel I have to explain myself to anyone," said the former Pittsburgh Steeler who signed with New York as a free agent last year.

Burress had a good first season with the Giants, catching 76 passes for 1,214 yards and seven touchdowns. He gave New York a big play threat it lacked.

However, Burress was a bust in the postseason. He failed to catch a pass in the loss to Carolina, several times waving his arms in frustration when quarterback Eli Manning couldn't get him the ball.

"Everyone is different," Burress said. "We all express ourselves in different ways. I'm my own biggest critic and I'm the one who has to go home and look in the mirror. If I'm not getting the ball, then I can't make the plays that I'm supposed to make. I consider myself to be one of the best receivers in the game, but without the ball, I can't do my job."

Burress added to the controversy by opting to work out in Miami with tight end Jeremy Shockey instead of attending voluntary workouts at Giants Stadium.

It would have given him a chance to smooth things over with Manning.

"I wasn't frustrated with him," Burress said. "Everyone was trying to do what we could to win the game. I can't get better without him. This isn't like track, where I could do it all myself. I need everyone to work together. If we're not all on the same page, then it won't work. I want everyone to understand that this was not personal."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin, who fined Burress for missing the season-ending meeting, said that the receiver is working hard, but that he is a little behind the players who attended the voluntary workouts.

"Everyone wants to talk about last year and not focus on this year," Burress said. "I'm going to come back bigger and stronger. I just catch passes, score touchdowns and try to win. That's doing my job. If I come back and improve this year, then no one will have a problem with it."

Fellow receiver Amani Toomer understands Burress' approach.

"He's his own man, he has his own place and knows how to handle his own business," Toomer said. "I didn't think it was my place to say anything. He knows how to handle himself."

Notes

Newly signed free agent linebacker LaVar Arrington isn't worried that Achilles tendinitis is limiting him to one practice during the minicamp. "It's sore. Nothing more or nothing less," Arrington said. "We're just taking precautionary measures right now. It's not like I'm sitting it out, just one a day. I know where I'm at and I'm doing what's right."

lavar arrington went on steven a smith and predicted Eli would win the MVP award this year

this should be an interesting year in the NFC East

:lol:

Are you serious? That's hiliarious. Eli won't even win MVP of the Giants. That trophy belongs in the hands of Tiki Barber. I'd consider Tiki for NFL MVP before Eli as well.

:lol:

Are you serious? That's hiliarious. Eli won't even win MVP of the Giants. That trophy belongs in the hands of Tiki Barber. I'd consider Tiki for NFL MVP before Eli as well.

Exactly. Who is more likely to have a successful season if one of them went down in week 1: Tiki without Eli, or Eli without Tiki?

Archived