Jets' rookie linemen learning to swim

SoFlaJets

By Eric Krupka on June 29, 2006

When the New York Jets spent their first two picks on former University of Virginia left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and ex-Ohio State center Nick Mangold, the original plan was to have Ferguson anchor the line. Mangold wasn't expected to start right away, because the team signed nine-year veteran Trey Teague to be the immediate starter. An ankle injury sustained by Teague forced him to miss the Jets' recent minicamp, and voila, Mangold is now No. 1 on the depth chart.

Essentially, the two first-round picks will be submerged into the water, like a small child learning how to swim. The coaching staff might act as floaties, but both rookies will be forced to move their legs and arms to learn on the job.

It won't be the easiest task, but both certainly have the talent and work ethic to succeed as first-year pros. Although we haven't even reached training camp, in offseason workouts thus far, the two have the coaching staff excited. They look to be two players that can anchor the line for countless years to come.

Mangold understands the task at hand, and how different the NFL game is from the collegiate ranks. Ferguson also knows and has already increased his phenomenal work-ethic in hopes of becoming an elite bookend tackle.

"Get stronger, get better, and try not to stress out too much," said Ferguson. That's the 22-year-old's plan heading into training camp and his first season in the New York spotlight.

While nothing is a stone-cold lock at this point, expect both rookies to be starting come opening day.

So far, it's been a learning experience. So much so that the two will be swimming in no time. In fact, head coach Eric Mangini proclaimed that they are, indeed, "swimming

Most guys on here have a wait and see attitude because of all the

changes for the Jets this year.

But some guys have an "already seen" attitude and there's nothing

you can do to change it.

If I felt like that I wouldn't even bother re-upping my DTV NFL package ya know?Sheesh have a little hope man-we don't even know who's gonna be ON this team yet

not for nuthin Johnny but you're obviously an idiot.There are question marks in every single camp leading up to the season.Does Miami know if Culpepper is gonna make it to opening day?Will Ronnie Brown be able to carry the load without Ricky?How about Pittsburg and what happened to Ben.New England?They have plenty of question marks too especially on offense.I could go on and on but you'll just come back with another one of your flip one-liners that don't make a whole lot of football sense.

not for nuthin Johnny but you're obviously an idiot.There are question marks in every single camp leading up to the season.Does Miami know if Culpepper is gonna make it to opening day?Will Ronnie Brown be able to carry the load without Ricky?How about Pittsburg and what happened to Ben.New England?They have plenty of question marks too especially on offense.I could go on and on but you'll just come back with another one of your flip one-liners that don't make a whole lot of football sense.

you're right, no way my "flip" remarks can counter your personal attacks. we disagree, why does that make me an idiot?

here's some football sense: culpepper with one leg is a better quarterback than anyone we have on the roster right now. we have an offense permeated by "serviceable" players-- zero explosive or dangerous talent. an untested o-line. on the other side, limited pass-rushing ability, our only blue chip talent (vilma) may or may not thrive in a 3-4. mix in the most inexperienced coaching staff in the league and i think you'd have to be an idiot to expect much from this team this year. so while i may just be "an idiot" according to you, i think you're a pathetic sunshiner who's in for one hell of a disappointing year.

if you really believe that let me ask you this-are you going to pay 200 something bux for the NFL package?Why bother when you already know what the outcome is gonna be?I've been watching this game for almost 40 years now and have seen too much happen-unexpectedly to discount any team at this time of the year.This is a team a year removed from near greatness that was achieved with an imbecil leading it.Clearly the new regime has their $hit together a LOT more than the previous one.I hate doom and gloom Johnny and sorry I called you an idiot.

if you really believe that let me ask you this-are you going to pay 200 something bux for the NFL package?Why bother when you already know what the outcome is gonna be?I've been watching this game for almost 40 years now and have seen too much happen-unexpectedly to discount any team at this time of the year.This is a team a year removed from near greatness that was achieved with an imbecil leading it.Clearly the new regime has their $hit together a LOT more than the previous one.I hate doom and gloom Johnny and sorry I called you an idiot.

i agree in the sense no team can be counted out but the possibility of us being over .500 this year is so remote that i think it would be foolhardy to go in with high expectations. i've said repeatedly that i'm happy this year if the team shows improvement week to week, the team doesn't give up in the face of adversity and some of our '06 draft picks show promise. i'm a little concerned people expect mangini to ride up and fix all the problems. while i think our record will stink this year, my hope is that the team shows enough sparks for us to be optimistic for '07 and beyond.

(apology accepted :cheers:)

These rookies will need time to learn to get beat like Fabini.

And they better not think about getting re-signed until they do learn.

job one for Tangini was repairing what Hermway neglected too long-the OFFENSIVE O-line they were left with.Herm thought coaching could turn any tub of lard lineman into an NFL starter and he was so wrong.Herm would have no problem drafting safety after safety and CB after CB("you can never have enough CB's"-remember that?)

I guess Ryan Young and Kareem McKenzie were more important than they thought-we learned a hard hard lesson and Chad may have to pay for that neglect with his career

Archived