Martin remains on PUP till after bye

gg

http://www.newyorkjets.com/

Martin Won't Play Before the Bye

Published: 10-16-06

New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini announced Monday that running back Curtis Martin will remain on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) for at least two more games. “He will not come off until - at the earliest - some time after the Cleveland game,” Mangini said of Martin. The 33-year old Martin underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last December and continues his rehabilitation under the watchful eye of Jets' medical personnel. While on the PUP list Martin is prohibited from practicing with the team, but he can rehab and he can also participate in team meetings. “I just spoke to the doctors and Mike (Tannenbaum),” Mangini said. “Curtis and I met and the doctors talked through it. They thought that would be the best time – at the earliest – to do it.”

The Jets will host the Detroit Lions on Sunday and then will visit the Browns in Cleveland on October 29 th. Following the match-up with the Browns, the Jets are scheduled to have their bye. “I think to have two additional weeks to continue moving with the process and look at it – that’s going to be an asset,” Mangini said. Martin is the fourth-leading rusher in NFL history with 14,101 yards on 3,518 carries. The former University of Pittsburgh star is in his ninth season with the Jets, having joined the team as a restricted free agent in March of 1998. With the Jets, Martin has established Club records in nearly every rushing category, including: rushing yards (10,302), rushing attempts (2,560), rushing touchdowns (58), 100-yard rushing games (43), and yards from scrimmage (12,741). “We are going to see where it goes. I’ve felt good about his progress and his approach throughout the whole thing,” Mangini said. “You can’t ask for a better approach and a better person. He has been great and he’s been working really hard at it.” Martin now has a three-week window to begin working out with the team. At the end of the three weeks the Jets have three options for Martin -- they must either activate him to the 53-man roster, place him on injured reserve for the remainder of the season or cut him.

Smart move. Give Curtis the neces. time to recover and do not rush him back too soon. However, bringing him back @ New England or vs Chicago would not be great.:eek:

I say you hold him out of game action until Nov.26th vs Houston...that is of course if he can make it back onto the field.

Look at the schedule.

Joey freakin' Harrington almost put yesterday's game into over-time with 199 4th quarter passing yard. 199!? If Harrington can do it so can Brady, Grossman, B.Johnson, Losman, Favre, etc.

Smart move. Give Curtis the neces. time to recover and do not rush him back too soon. However, bringing him back @ New England or vs Chicago would not be great.:eek:

I say you hold him out of game action until Nov.26th vs Houston...that is of course if he can make it back onto the field.

Does anyone really expect Curtis to come back and be effective? I don

Nit picky, but the title is misleading.

Mangini said he's on the PUP until after Cleveland. While this would mean he would not play, if he does at all, until after the bye, he'd be off the PUP 6 days PRIOR to the bye.

HEY ...i am dealing with candy corn withdrawl...give me a $%^#* break.

are you like this in every aspect of your life...? ;)

OY!

sorry about the misunderstanding...i will be more careful next time! :lol:

Archived