Bonds files for FA

TheShow

wheres the proof that his head got bigger? it's a rumor! i saw on tv they had a hot from his rookie year and a hot from 2004, they were the same size. learn some fact's befor you speak.

What the fudge is a Hot????

Do no tell me it is a typo...

"o" and "a" are on opposite sides of the keyboard..I looked it up!

Scum? LoL you guys kill me. **** roger maris he had one great year. thats it. he was average at best the rest of the time. and he broke some fat retard's record named babe ruth! who's record was a joke.

you can assume bonds took steroids, I can assume they tossed up gofer ball to babe! just to save baseball! because they needed a draw after the war!

when bonds retires, no one will ever come close to getting the stats he has piled togeather. I'm glad I'll be able to say I saw barry bonds play baseball.. bacuase he is the best baseball player to ever play the game.

Babe Ruth is a legend who will always be rememebered as the Sultan of Swat.

Barry Bonds is a big whiner who will be remembered for his hulking mass that was a product of Science and Steroids.

LL

Babe Ruth is a legend who will always be rememebered as the Sultan of Swat.

Barry Bonds is a big whiner who will be remembered for his hulking mass that was a product of Science and Steroids.

LL

babe ruth was a fat out of shape drunk, he's the hulk hogan of baseball. when you think of baseball you think of babe ruth, always will. without him baseball may not be america's past time. even though i trule beleive he was a "Product".... I still can't argue that he's not the sultan of swat! because he is. I was just making a point that I could point fiingers out as well.. because when people say stuff like this about barry, it seems just as silly as me saying somthing about the babe.

I have watched barry play since he was a pirate, and he's always been a great ball player, he just has issues. ok ok alot fo issues! and he doesn't get along with to many people. but that has nothing to do with the way he plays the game.

Would The Babe Have Used Steroids?

ruth_cartoon_1.jpgI have found the most interesting approach to bashing Bonds has been the sanctifying of Babe Ruth in order to create a moral standard to judge Bonds' home run count by. The myths about Babe have always been nostalgic ones that tend to skew the truth and overlook some of the questionable characteristics that were part of the person he actually was. Before fans hop on the Bambino bandwagon as they pelt Bonds with proverbial stones, they should be aware of all things Babe. Are Bonds-Bashers certain that Ruth would not have employed Victor Conte and Balco in order to enhance his performance if he had the opportunity?

The fact is, steroid experimentation has been around longer than most realize. In the 1860's the experiments actually became tangible when a scientist, Arnold Berthold, started castrating roosters and re-injecting them with their own testosterone while monitoring the difference in their aggression and other behaviors. About twenty years later scientists had figured out how to extractpudgalvin200_2.jpg testosterone from the testes of mostly sheep and guinea pigs and inject the fluid back into themselves. Their observation was an increase in mood with more energy and more vigor.

According to author and researcher Robert I. Abrams, by 1889 at least one well known ballplayer, Hall of Fame pitcher James "Pud" Galvin was openly injecting an elixir of animal testosterone known as the Brown-Sequard Elixir. The press welcomed the discovery with great enthusiasm as an article from that year's New Haven Register exemplifies, 'The discovery of a true elixir of youth by which the aged can restore their vitality and renew their bodily vigor would be a great thing for baseball. We hope the discovery is of such a nature that it can be applied to rejuvenate provincial clubs.' Another article in the local press touted the elixar's effect directly on Galvin's pitching, 'If there still be doubting Thomases who concede no virtue of the elixir, they are respectfully referred to Galvin's record in yesterday's Boston-Pittsburgh game. It is the best proof yet furnished of the value of the discovery.'

sheepfixed_photolabel.jpgThere is another story about steroids that has been around long before the Bonds' controversy and it has to do with the Babe himself. According to The Baseball Hall of Shame's Warped Record Book, by Bruce Nash, Allan Zullo and Bob Smith, "the Bambino fell ill one year attempting to inject himself with extract from a sheep's testes. This effort by more than a few athletes of his era to seek the healing and strengthening properties of testosterone prefigured the craze for steroids. When Ruth fell ill from his attempted enhancement, the media was told that Ruth merely had 'a bellyache.' "

Knowing about Ruth's more written about follies, this story seems far from impossible. While Ruth had many great qualities, the man led a very flawed life. Ruth like Bonds always walked to the beat of his own drum. He openly and illegally drank liquor during Prohibition; his enthusiastic womanizing often bordered on the obscene, as it was not unusual for him to employ a whole block of streetwalkers in a single night; his appetite for the other sex showed little respect for those closest to him as both his wives would find out as well as his once good friend Lou Gehrig, who shunned him after finding his own wife drunk and alone with the Babe during a cruise to the far east; both Miller Huggins and Joe McCarthy had more than a few choice words for the Babe on many occasions; and he never received a chance to manage, as owners apparently took to heart a statement that Yankee president Ed Barrow had made about Ruth when he said, "How can he manage other men when he can't even manage himself?". Red Sox owner Harry Frazee justified his trade out of Boston by saying that Ruth was "one of the most selfish and inconsiderate athletes I have ever seen." One doesn't have to research very long to find many more disreputable stories about Babe Ruth that bring his moral character into question.

babe ruth was a fat out of shape drunk, he's the hulk hogan of baseball. when you think of baseball you think of babe ruth, always will. without him baseball may not be america's past time. even though i trule beleive he was a "Product".... I still can't argue that he's not the sultan of swat! because he is. I was just making a point that I could point fiingers out as well.. because when people say stuff like this about barry, it seems just as silly as me saying somthing about the babe.

Babe Ruth revolutionized home run hitting despite starting his career off in the dead ball era as a pitcher. Before the dead ball era was over he already broke the home run record, and doubled it (plus 2) once the live ball came around. he lead the league in home runs 12 times, in RBI's 6 times, in batting once, and countless On-base % and Slugging % titles as well.

No player was more dominant at their peak, not even Bonds* from 01-04. Or Ted Williams, Cobb and Mantle.

I have watched barry play since he was a pirate, and he's always been a great ball player, he just has issues. ok ok alot fo issues! and he doesn't get along with to many people. but that has nothing to do with the way he plays the game.

Barry was a great player in his pre-steroid days (ie 1998), nobody will argue that, but was he an all-time great? Not really.

No offense Gimme but that article is TERRIBLE. Babe didn't cheat. Would he have cheated isn't the point.

Compare the #s. That's all that matters. Oh and Bonds' neck size.

Ruth is the best play ever period. It is naive however to focus soley on Bonds just because he passed Ruth when we all know that depending on who you believe ,anywhere from 25 to 75% of MLB was juicing. Yankee fans of all people should get that.

If Ruth was not a Yankee it would be interesting to see if that article is so quickly dismissed.

Archived