Patriots: Gabriel benched

Smizzy

November 13, 2006 3:35 PM ET

Patriots: Gabriel benched

The News

Doug Gabriel lost a key fumble at the beginning of the second quarter on Sunday and was benched for the remainder of the game. According to the Boston Globe, coach Bill Belichick said only that Gabriel was not injured, which is an indication that he was simply disciplined for turning the ball over.

Our View

Gabriel was once thought of as Tom Brady's No. 1 wide receiver, but he hasn't scored since week seven and has topped 65 yards receiving just once all season. On Sunday, Reche Caldwell grabbed a career-high nine catches for 90 yards and a touchdown, marking the second time in three games he's gone over the 70-yard mark and scored. For anyone who for some reason is willing to subject themselves to the maddening wideout situation in New England, Caldwell now looks like the best fantasy option out wide. Of course, that will almost certainly change on a week-to-week basis.

What an assh*le.

I really liked Reche Caldwell going to New England because of the type of offense the Pats run with the quick 5 yard throws and the receiver does the rest... he might've had his breakout game to get him more involved in the offense yesterday.

I really liked Reche Caldwell going to New England because of the type of offense the Pats run with the quick 5 yard throws and the receiver does the rest... he might've had his breakout game to get him more involved in the offense yesterday.

I don't know, Joe...the td was a tipped ball that COULD have been picked, then Dyson and Smith both miss tackles and allow him in...personaly I think out biggest problem could be in our tackling ability, or lack there of

I would have benched his arse too. Guess that makes me an arsehole. That turnover was a huge momentum changer.

I think BB may start rethinking the whole Branch thing. Not that Branch would have been the difference yesterday at all. Still, the way the Pats fo handled that was BAD. They should have just let Branch sit out for the ten games and not budge. None of this go out and get yourself an acceptable deal stuff. Nope. I'd have him sit home and stew. Would have sent a message to the players (honor your contract) and would have avoided all the bull - long term. The team still would have gone out and gotten these mediocre at best receivers. That Branch negotiation faupax was huge.

I would have benched his arse too. Guess that makes me an arsehole. That turnover was a huge momentum changer.

I think BB may start rethinking the whole Branch thing. Not that Branch would have been the difference yesterday at all. Still, the way the Pats fo handled that was BAD. They should have just let Branch sit out for the ten games and not budge. None of this go out and get yourself an acceptable deal stuff. Nope. I'd have him sit home and stew. Would have sent a message to the players (honor your contract) and would have avoided all the bull - long term. The team still would have gone out and gotten these mediocre at best receivers. That Branch negotiation faupax was huge.

I thought Gaffney looked good yesterday. Play him and Caldwell until Jackson is finally ready to contribute.

It sure was.

And 9 times out of 10, that ball hits the turf and goes out of bounds, not stay on the playing field.

That was a huge turnover.

The field is too sh!tty to allow a ball to actually bounce anywhere, instead it just muddled its way along a straight path down the sideline INBOUNDS! That was just wonderful.

Btw, Gabriel was the best Pats receiver on the field yesterday and I was more than happy to see the Pats take him out of the game just when he was starting to get consistently open.

Archived