Vick gets 10,000 fine for his gesture

faba

: Vick to pay $20K for obscene gestures

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

VickATLANTA -- Quarterback Michael Vick has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for the obscene gestures that he directed toward heckling fans following the Falcons' loss to the New Orleans Saints on Sunday.

In addition to the fine, the league has requested that Vick donate $10,000 to a charity of his choice.

Three league sources confirmed the sanctions levied by the league, to which Vick has already agreed. It is not known who suggested the charitable donation, but that element was part of the discussions between the league and Vick's representatives over the past two days. Obviously, there will be no appeal of the fine.

In the past, players who made obscene gestures on the field and were first-time offenders typically were fined $5,000 by the NFL.

Vick's base salary for 2006 is $1.4 million, but that is hardly reflective of the magnitude of his contract, which was extended last year and can be worth as much as $130 million. Because league action supercedes anything the Falcons might want to do, there will be no sanctions by the club.

The incident for which Vick was fined occurred shortly after the Falcons lost to the Saints, 31-13, a defeat in which the Georgia Dome crowd jeered the home team and its quarterback much of the day. As Vick was heading toward the tunnel that leads to the Falcons' locker room, he exchanged words with fans screaming at him, then alternately extended the middle fingers of both hands.

Vick issued an apology through the Falcons hours after the incident. On Monday afternoon, he again apologized during a new conference at team headquarters. "It was just a part of a situation where my emotions got the best of me," Vick said. "I apologize sincerely to all my fans and to everybody who saw me make that gesture.

Hmmm, fined for flipping off his own crowd.

Gotta question for you guys. I've often wondered. Would there be a penalty if 2 players from the SAME team started fighting on the field or a player came in on the play late and hit his own player after the whistle. Would it be unnecessary roughness??????

Also, going to the bizarre, what's the deal if, say,...the coach tackles the opposing player on a play where the player is going to go all the way. If it's only a 15 yarder then I think more coaches should be practicing their tackling. What's the call on that?

I know, strange questions but enquiring minds want to know....

Archived