Larry Johnson, how many years left?

DireJet38

two good points by SJ and Bugg here-that was the other thing I was gonna put in the post about Herm-as IF he was a homey or something...and Bugg is right about if a white player had said that crap-there's no room in this society for this kind of divisiveness-be it from a black or white or brown or yellow person...cut the crap

The media is racist against yellow people. :yahoo:

Funny times.

True, I think Herm has benefitted greatly from taking advantage of his race. I don't think that's true for MOST of the black coaches in the NFL though. Lovie and Marvin Lewis are both just damn good, and should have been HCs sooner. I'm sure there are a ton of other examples we don't know of, although I think that is slowly changing. I think the NFL doesn't really have much of a problem in this regard, because wins are what matter the most. A little nudge I guess was needed in the first place, since it was a problem awhile ago, and maybe I'm too early to declare it not a problem. I also think in the business world, the medical field, and also in the legal field, it isn't a problem because these are all so results based. The problems come where results aren't the requirement and people are allowed to use their own discretion, and that is usually a social problem, as you mentioned. I think LJ believes Herm can relate on a social level, and perhaps help him out that way. God knows Herm doesn't bring anything to the table on a professional level, so he must really be good at that. By the end of the season, I expect LJ to be a great self-marketer. I don't think hermy would have ever made a statement like LJ did, and I am sure Hermy let him know it was a mistake, and they're probably working on a diversion strategy right now. He might be a terrible football coach, but Herm knows marketing and public relations better than the back of his own hand.

I could agree with this. But he's a RB for a HC whose RB's (and offenses in general) always do well. There is 1 explanation for it, and he was all too happy to spell it out for us. Now if he was tuning out Rich Kotite...

I could agree with this. But he's a RB for a HC whose RB's (and offenses in general) always do well. There is 1 explanation for it, and he was all too happy to spell it out for us. Now if he was tuning out Rich Kotite...

The strange thing though is that LJ was obviously performing on the field under Vermeil last year, so I'm not sure what the complaints would be. If a guy tunes you out and puts up absolutely monster stats, you might want everyone to tune you out if that'll work for them too.

I think he had to have meant in a social context. He probably tuned out Vermeil's motivational speeches or something. The more I think about it, the more I think maybe LJ was taken out of context. The interview is on in a few hours right? I guess I'll watch it, but I'd rather get access to a full transcript. The media tends to distort things a lot.

The strange thing though is that LJ was obviously performing on the field under Vermeil last year, so I'm not sure what the complaints would be. If a guy tunes you out and puts up absolutely monster stats, you might want everyone to tune you out if that'll work for them too.

I think he had to have meant in a social context. He probably tuned out Vermeil's motivational speeches or something. The more I think about it, the more I think maybe LJ was taken out of context. The interview is on in a few hours right? I guess I'll watch it, but I'd rather get access to a full transcript. The media tends to distort things a lot.

Inside the NFL did extended highlights a couple months back featuring the Chiefs. LJ was having a crappy 1st half and everytime he came to the sidelines he was acting like a 5 year old who didn't get what he wanted.

Herm had to give him encouragment and basically "coddle" him. The guy is a mental midget.

Serphnx: Inside the NFL is on HBO tonight at 11 EST.

You're angry that LJ feels he could open up more to Herm, and sees more similarities between himself and Herm than he did with Vermeil? You know what, I really don't see the racism in LJ's comments, I see racism in the way some of you are reacting though. Are some of you really going to claim that Vermeil was a black football player? I'm pretty sure you can relate more with your friends that have similar experiences as you did as opposed to a random stranger that is completely different, it's the same thing as choosing your friends.

Get a grip people. Stop whining.

I was born a poor, black child...

Jerk.gif

I was born a poor, black child...

Jerk.gif

I was born a poor white child. Should I be mad because my boss isn't white?

The race thing is silly. Vermeil didn't want LJ and LJ wanted nothing to do with Vermeil. Is it a crime to not like someone?

IMO LJ is an angry man. I don't think LJ had any problems at Penn State playing for a 90 year old white guy.

You're angry that LJ feels he could open up more to Herm, and sees more similarities between himself and Herm than he did with Vermeil? You know what, I really don't see the racism in LJ's comments, I see racism in the way some of you are reacting though. Are some of you really going to claim that Vermeil was a black football player? I'm pretty sure you can relate more with your friends that have similar experiences as you did as opposed to a random stranger that is completely different, it's the same thing as choosing your friends.

Get a grip people. Stop whining.

you might have just posted the silliest post of year. LJ comments were that he played better cause Herm was a malatto. Professionals , who get paid millios , can relate all they want, but they should play the same for any color coach. The fact he and Chris Carter imply black PROS play better for black coaches is immature and borderline ignorant and racist. THEY ARE PROS, not 6 year olds looking for role models.

you might have just posted the silliest post of year. LJ comments were that he played better cause Herm was a malatto. Professionals , who get paid millios , can relate all they want, but they should play the same for any color coach. The fact he and Chris Carter imply black PROS play better for black coaches is immature and borderline ignorant and racist. THEY ARE PROS, not 6 year olds looking for role models.

It's funny how both LJ and Chris Carter played very well for white Coaches in College. I guess making millions in the NFL changed their perspecives on life.

I just think this is yet another example of Herm's duplicity and pseudo-class.

Herm is on record stating he "loves" Dick Vermeil, and yet...

He participates in a piece that character assassinates the guy. As for Larry Johnson, hey look their is no shortage of assinine, ignorant comments coming out of the mouths of these guys, and you have to take it all with a grain of salt as many of them suffer from severe arrested development.

From Sapp saying the NFL is like "slavery" to Michael Irvin recently implying Tony Romo had some black blood, it's clear their is a double standard. Sadly, I think it is acceptable because it is assumed that white people like Howard Cosell and Jimmy the Greek should know better.

I don't get outraged by this stuff, only amused. It's Black people who should be offended that everything they say is taken with a grain of salt, as if to suggest they are incapable of elevating the discourse.

It's funny how both LJ and Chris Carter played very well for white Coaches in College. I guess making millions in the NFL changed their perspecives on life.

I guess Carter believes that Buddy Ryan didn't "relate" to his cocaine habit enough by having the audacity to having the Eagles release him the same way he would've released a white cokehead. Good for him that he kicked his habit & went on to become one of the greatest receivers in NFL history. Dennis Green, for all his faults as a HC, hardly comes across as ghetto or having street cred & if Carter was still snorting up a storm Green, would've released him in similar fashion.

What a couple of friggin' jackasses. Oh, woe is me that I have to play football for millions of dollars & in doing so play for guys who (each) coached two different franchises to the superbowl as a HC or DC.

These two clowns should see what their options in life would have been without football & be thankful that they were born with ungodly talent no matter what color their skin is.

Imagine if Brad Johnson said he used to tune out Dennis Green or Tony Dungy b/c they couldn't relate to him as a white guy & couldn't connect with them the same way he was able to under Gruden. He would (appropriately) be out of the league.

Imagine if Brad Johnson said he used to tune out Dennis Green or Tony Dungy b/c they couldn't relate to him as a white guy & couldn't connect with them the same way he was able to under Gruden. He would (appropriately) be out of the league.

Remember when Art Shell told Hostetler "all you white QB's are the same" ?

Hey, but Art was just keeping it real. :)

Now, if a white coach said that to a Black QB...

I guess Carter believes that Buddy Ryan didn't "relate" to his cocaine habit enough by having the audacity to having the Eagles release him the same way he would've released a white cokehead. Good for him that he kicked his habit & went on to become one of the greatest receivers in NFL history. Dennis Green, for all his faults as a HC, hardly comes across as ghetto or having street cred & if Carter was still snorting up a storm Green, would've released him in similar fashion.

What a couple of friggin' jackasses. Oh, woe is me that I have to play football for millions of dollars & in doing so play for guys who (each) coached two different franchises to the superbowl as a HC or DC.

These two clowns should see what their options in life would have been without football & be thankful that they were born with ungodly talent no matter what color their skin is.

Kinda surprised Carter did this thing with Johnson. About 2 years ago he did an interview with Buddy Ryan where they made peace, and Carter acknowledged that he had failed Ryan and Ryan had every right to cut him. You would think that when Johnson started speaking ill of Vermiel CArter might've had a flashback to his own stupidity as a young player.

I await the day when Larry Johnson finds himself physically debilitated like Earl Campbell or worse. And I wonder what he'll think of Caoch Edwards giving him 400+ carries then.

Archived