From NFLDraft countdown- top 5 value pick- Day one

faba

April 24, 2005

Day One Value and Reaches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

As with any NFL Draft there are always surprises and 2005 is no different. Some picks will just leaving you scratching your head and asking "Why did a team take that guy so high" or "How in the world did that guy fall so far". Here is a look at those oddities:

Top 5 Values

1. Aaron Rodgers, QB, California

Green Bay Packers

Rounds One (#24 Overall)

- Mark my words, this will be the steal of the draft and we will look back and wonder how he ever fell this far. A perfect situation for this kid to become a star.

2. Justin Miller, CB, Clemson

New York Jets

Round Two (#57 Overall)

- Had they not traded out of round one this is a guy the team would have been considering at #26 overall so to land him near the end of round two is amazing.

3. Darryl Blackstock, OLB, Virginia

Arizona Cardinals

Round Three (#95 Overall)

- I wasn

"3. Trai Essex, OT, Northwestern

Pittsburgh Steelers

Round Three (#93 Overall)

- An interesting player who has some tools but they more than likely could have gotten him in round five or later and in reality he is more of a boom or bust guy."

This pick had all of us Steelers fans scratching our heads. The nearest i can figure from reading the Steelers site bio's is that Russ Grimm wanted this guy bad after they had him in for a visit some time ago. I believe this was a Russ Grimm pick.

Paul, what did you think of the Heath Miller pick? I know you were annoyed when we picked him in the JetNation draft.

And I don't think you can call any players a "reach" in this draft right now. When Troy Williamson goes top-8 and Derrick Johnson at 17 and third rounders are going in the first, I think every team just started grabbing the guys they REALLY wanted early to save their asses.

Scott Wright is a complete moron and knows nothing about football.

What a clueless idiot.

This dooshie writer should be tossing burgers at McDonalds.

Who does that sound like? :wink:

The kid who practically called every draft slot for every player going? :shock::lol:

2. Sione Pouha, DT, Utah

New York Jets

Round Three (#88 Overall)

- A guy I actually liked and had as a sleeper, but they took him at least a couple of rounds too early but they needed a replacement for Jason Ferguson I guess.

quote]

I love how this guy say he likes Pouha as a player, but because the Jets picked him two rounds too early, then he is a reach. To me, a reach is when you pick a guy who never makes the league in round 3. If Pouha is a player, that's just great scouting and a commitment to getting guys on your team you think will be good.

The kid who practically called every draft slot for every player going? :shock::lol:

That is not a knock on EB (I like the phrase "dooshie" that he coined) but on Jet fans who spew back when a writer says something they do not like.

EB did a fantastic call on his predictions. Also, his amount of research he did on all those players was quite evident.

Kudos to EB.

Paul, what did you think of the Heath Miller pick? I know you were annoyed when we picked him in the JetNation draft.

And I don't think you can call any players a "reach" in this draft right now. When Troy Williamson goes top-8 and Derrick Johnson at 17 and third rounders are going in the first, I think every team just started grabbing the guys they REALLY wanted early to save their asses.

Tom, at first i was against the Miller pick due to the fact that TE's are nothing more than an extra tackle for us. I felt we needed a deep threat for Ben there first. But now that they landed Gibson i can justify the Miller pick as long as Gibson earns himself the starting job opposite Hines. I'm still concerned that they won't use Miller enough in the passing game, as thats his specialty from what i hear. If they can get these 2 enough catches then i'll be happy with this draft. If not, then they are wasted picks IMO.

That is not a knock on EB (I like the phrase "dooshie" that he coined) but on Jet fans who spew back when a writer says something they do not like.

EB did a fantastic call on his predictions. Also, his amount of research he did on all those players was quite evident.

Kudos to EB.

thank you thank you! [-o<[-o<:mrgreen:

But it's about damn time we got the props from a paper outside of NY on that J.Miller pick. I saw some dooshie on espnews today say the Jets had a bad draft. Said trading down was bad when they could have had Heath Miller!

MORON, the Jets said they liked Jolley better, AND that trade got us an automatic kicker AND we got the corner we would have drafted at 26!

Archived