Good Article: Jets rookie's tight group

StraightCash

Didn't see this posted anywhere and I thought it was a really good read, especially for those who didn't like our draft...

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9905792

It's all a group effort for Jets rookies

By Lisa Zimmerman

Special to NFL.com

(Jan. 3, 2007) -- At the conclusion of the New York Jets ' win over the Oakland Raiders in Week 17 to clinch a wild-card playoff spot, rookie center Nick Mangold, who had hurt his left leg at the end of the first half, was asked if he was OK. "I'm always OK," he replied, smiling.

That succinct response sums up not only Mangold (the 29th overall selection in the 2006 NFL Draft and one of the Jets' two first-round selections), but his teammates, including his fellow rookies and their rookie head coach Eric Mangini.

Mangold and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the Jets' other first-round pick (fourth overall), are two of the team's rookies who have quietly, but steadily, performed with little to no evidence of their first-year status. A feat that was even more impressive given the fact that they were charged with helping protect quarterback Chad Pennington, who was returning from an unprecedented two consecutive shoulder surgeries.

From training camp, when it became apparent that both players were headed toward starting roles, the offensive line experienced very few out-of-the-ordinary moments that one might attribute to a first-year player. In 16 regular-season starts, Mangold has made, according to veteran right guard Pete Kendall, "close to 100 percent of the line calls," and in the process has committed just three penalties. Ferguson has committed a total of one.

Kendall, who plays between Mangold and Ferguson, described what he has seen from them.

"The most impressive thing about those guys is their even-keeled nature," he said. "They play hard, and for the most part they play well. But, when they inevitably have a play that doesn't go quite as hoped, they're on to the next one."

And it's not just Ferguson and Mangold. The Jets' 2006 rookie class as a whole has made vast contributions across the board. With future Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin sidelined for the season with a potentially career-ending knee injury, Leon Washington, selected in the fourth round, played in all 16 games and started eight of them. In the process, he accrued the fourth-best seasonal rushing total for a rookie running back in team history.

Fullback B.J. Askew recalled his reaction the first time he saw Washington with the ball.

"I remember in training camp seeing how quick he was. Nobody really wants to say he's like Barry Sanders because is there really another Barry Sanders? But if you ask me, his style is probably the closest thing to it."

Then there's Brad Smith, a record-setting quarterback at the University of Missouri (also a fourth-round pick). He gave the "Slash" moniker a whole new meaning by seeing action at wide receiver, running back, quarterback and on special teams, providing a game-planning headache for opponents all season long.

Cornerback Drew Coleman (a sixth-round pick with three starts) and safety Eric Smith (third round) carved out significant roles for themselves as well, both attaining 27 tackles, two interceptions for Smith and a sack for Coleman.

Thirteen-year veteran defensive lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen gave his assessment.

"This is the hardest-working rookie class I've ever seen," he said. "These guys spend the extra time. They're here on Tuesdays. They're here late at night. It's good seeing energy and youth. That's been a positive."

Fellow defensive lineman Bobby Hamilton, in his 12th season, echoed von Oelhoffen's sentiments.

"I think this is the only team I've been with where we have a lot of rookies playing key roles. Each week you see some rookie stepping up and it's motivating, not just to the rookies, but to the older players. When you see those young guys out there running it motivates me. I see they're out there doing that. Let's go out there and do it too."

As for their head coach, questions had swirled about Mangini from the moment he was named to the position. At only 35 years old, with just one year as a defensive coordinator under his belt and inheriting a team that had gone 4-12 in the previous season, not to mention numerous starters coming back from injured reserve, no one knew for sure what 2006 would hold for the Jets.

However, from the moment Mangini arrived in New York, his agenda was clear as he established a set of four core Jets values from which he never deviates: Do your job, communicate, focus and finish.

His players were fully on board from the start.

"Coach Mangini came in with a precise plan and a good attitude, and there were no gray areas," said Pennington. "It was all black and white what he expected from us. On top of that, our players have great character. They're all character guys and they all want to win and they all have a desire to be successful. So when you put those two things together, it creates an environment for success."

Now with a 10-6 record in the books, the Jets -- rookies and veterans alike -- and their rookie head coach take on the head coach's former mentor, Bill Belichick, and his three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots. With the teams having split their series with each other this year, this one is truly anybody's game.

Yeah, I'm really sure we would have received this kind of hardwork and results if Edwards was still the coach. Heck we are still 10-6 team with HIM here.

The Jets rookie class made significant contributions to this team- props to them and the scouting department. I especially like that they were really hard working- the type of player you want.

My favorite part is how they all seem so close knit. A tight core group of players that work hard together can carry a franchise for years.

So far this has been my favorite rookie class. We built long term stability on the offensive line and gave ourselves 2 potential big play guys in B.Smith & Neon Leon. Also, not many people are hating the Eric Smith pick anymore are they? Drew Coleman is a good CB too and once he gets a few years under his belt we will see it.

I'am very happy with this rookie class ,all these kids have stepped up in big ways this year.On most teams rookies don't see the field for a year or two ,but our rookies have went far beyond their expectations and it is showing.Playing hard ,staying late ,and studying all pays off in the end.Congrats to the rooks ,if they win this game it will prove that once you put your mind to something and really prepare,Then it becomes hard to lose.

GO JETS and GO ROOKS

Archived