Bertuzzi -should he be reinstated to NHL

faba

Bertuzzi still out of NHL indefinitely following reinstatement hearing

By IRA PODELL, AP Sports Writer

April 27, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore were in the same room, but nowhere near each other -- and not at all close to a return to the NHL.

Bertuzzi needs permission from commissioner Gary Bettman to resume his hockey career. Moore needs a much better medical report because he's still feeling the effects of Bertuzzi's blindside punch to his head nearly 14 months ago.

Moore might never play again because of the vicious hit Bertuzzi dealt him during a game in Vancouver on March 8, 2004.

ADVERTISEMENT

Both players came to New York on Tuesday -- Bertuzzi to plead his case for reinstatement, Moore to detail why he feels Bertuzzi should not be allowed back in the NHL yet.

They didn't cross paths.

The NHL waited a long time to have this reinstatement hearing, and the league isn't going to rush into a decision on whether to let the Canucks forward back on the ice.

Bertuzzi was suspended indefinitely following the hit. Moore, who was playing with the Colorado Avalanche, was left with a broken neck, a concussion and no guarantee that he'll still be a professional hockey player.

``Because we think that Steve's recovery and rehabilitation is a very important factor in the commissioner's consideration, we've made it clear that unfortunately Steve is not where he would like to be medically,'' Moore's lawyer, Tim Danson, said outside the NHL offices. ``We have some serious obstacles ahead, and as a consequence it's our view that reinstatement at this time would be premature.''

Moore stood by Danson but declined to answer any questions because the hearing is still unsettled -- as is a civil case he filed in Denver against Bertuzzi, the Canucks and several others involved with the team.

Bertuzzi and his agent, Pat Morris, eluded reporters before and after the hearing, which lasted more than seven hours.

Morris didn't immediately return calls to The Associated Press.

The NHL had two doctors present at the hearing, as well as chief legal officer Bill Daly and league disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

Bertuzzi went into the hearing first, followed by Moore, and then a return by Bertuzzi.

``At the conclusion ... Commissioner Bettman took the matter under advisement,'' Daly said in a statement. ``There is no immediate timetable for a decision.''

The players' association monitored the hearing by conference call for procedural and fairness perspectives and didn't have a role on behalf of either player.

``It was a very good and thorough hearing,'' Danson said. ``It was a very serious hearing and we are very pleased by the process.''

With the Avalanche ahead 8-2 in the game that would turn uglier, Bertuzzi grabbed Moore from behind, punched him on the side of his head and then landed on top of Moore, driving his head into the ice. The bloodied Colorado player was removed on a stretcher.

The attack was seen as retaliation for a hit Moore put on Vancouver star Markus Naslund that left the Canucks captain with a concussion and sidelined him for three games.

Bertuzzi missed 13 regular-season games and seven others in the 2004 playoffs while losing nearly $502,000 in salary. He also was barred from playing in Europe by the International Ice Hockey Federation.

His return to the NHL is predicated on him being cleared by the commissioner. If not for the lockout that wiped out the entire 2004-05 season, this meeting with Bettman likely would've taken place long ago.

Since there are no pressing deadlines, a decision could be put off until after a new collective bargaining agreement is reached with the players' association.

Bertuzzi first asked for his hearing in December, around the time he pleaded guilty in a Vancouver court to criminal assault and was given a conditional discharge. He faced up to 18 months in prison.

He wasn't allowed to play in the World Cup of Hockey last September and isn't on Canada's roster for the World Hockey Championship, which begins this week in Austria.

Moore is an unrestricted free agent after not being re-signed by the Avalanche.

He filed suit against Bertuzzi in Denver District Court in February seeking unspecified damages.

Pretty ironic that they hold a hearing for reinstatement to the league that is out on lockout for Bertuzzi.

I have to agree with Tom - that it was more than just a regular check GGG-Bertuzzi should have his suspension continued when NHL season resumes - the only thing I would allow him to play in the minor leagues or clubs which right now he is banned from doing-

Do you even know who Todd Bertuzzi is? I didn't think so!

The guy has had a clean sheet up to that point. I believe that Bertuzzi did not intentionally mean to injure Moore (is that better?). You gotta admit that the way he hit the ice was just bad luck. It was flukey.

Still, until Moore is ready to play hockey again, if ever, Bertuzzi should remain suspended.

You don't think it was intentional? He drove his face into the ice accidentally? :roll: Women. This is why they'll never be President.

Flukey? His head hit the ice that way because he had Bertuzzi's forearm in the back of it! SHEESH!

And sure Frank, get my back NOW. Where were you Saturday when my life was at stake?

Do you even know who Todd Bertuzzi is? I didn't think so!

The guy has had a clean sheet up to that point. I believe that Bertuzzi did not intentionally mean to injure Moore (is that better?). You gotta admit that the way he hit the ice was just bad luck. It was flukey.

Still, until Moore is ready to play hockey again, if ever, Bertuzzi should remain suspended.

Guns: I am in agreement--he should remain out. However, Bertuzzi is being unjustly vilified. Was it a sucker-punch? Yes. It happened in the heat of the moment, and I do not believe that he intentionally meant harm. It was unfortunate for Moore that he hit the ice the way he did.

And, Bren: J.R. will retire before hockey resumes. But don't worry, he'll still be betting on games and talking smack on your favorite garbage show.

F Bertuzzi. Until Moore plays, I say F him

Guns: I am in agreement--he should remain out. However, Bertuzzi is being unjustly vilified. Was it a sucker-punch? Yes. It happened in the heat of the moment, and I do not believe that he intentionally meant harm. It was unfortunate for Moore that he hit the ice the way he did.

And, Bren: J.R. will retire before hockey resumes. But don't worry, he'll still be betting on games and talking smack on your favorite garbage show.

GGG you think about what you have just stated- Bertuzzi threw a sucker punch- is not that intentional to hurt someone? Continue the ban for an extended period. In all probability Moore will not play again in the league because of the seriousness of his injuries.

Shame on you, faba! Are you saying that I'm talking out of my a$$ again? :wink: I thought you were on MY side!

I am always on your side GGG- you just happen to be TOO nice to Bertuzzi- he gave a cheap shot to a player that may never play again.

faba: Be realistic. It was ONE punch with a gloved fist. If he meant harm, wouldn't he have removed it?

I'm not a Bertuzzi fan, but c'mon. Let's be fair.

1) Faba has nobody's back, I have found.

2) As Tom "King of the Sucker Punch" Shane says, the Bertuzzi hit was a beauty.

1) Faba has nobody's back, I have found.

2) As Tom "King of the Sucker Punch" Shane says, the Bertuzzi hit was a beauty.

Tom I need to get back in your good graces that is why I am supporting you here with Bertuzzi incident- otherwise GGG is always right!

Tom I need to get back in your good graces that is why I am supporting you here with Bertuzzi incident- otherwise GGG is always right!

OH! Faba, even though you left me to die painfully at the ESPNZone, even going to so far as to stoke the fire burning in the belly of that huge Steeler fan, I still love you.

Bertuzzi regrets what he did. He apologized and admitted fault. More than likely, he will not play again. He has become a scapegoat. End of story. Move on.

How, if he's reinstated, is that the end of the story? Huh? Huh? Huh? I agree that he should eventually be let back in, but he has to serve his time. While that biatch Moore is still whining like a girl and should probably be punched in the face again, let's not act like Bertuzzi hasn't earned what he got.

Archived