We should pick up a stop gap RB in Free Agency

Untouchable

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and it seems to make a lot of sense. I think we should build up the defense and O-line in the draft and sign a stop gap solution to pair with Leon at RB.

Two guys that immediately come to mind are Jamal Lewis and Ahman Green. Their styles look like a good compliment to Leon Washington and neither guy should break the bank.

Lewis isn't the same player he was 3 years ago, but he did have a solid season in '06 with 1,100 yards and 9 TD's. He still has great footwork for a big man and knows how to wear down a defense.

Green, much like Lewis, isn't the same player he was in years past but he's still solid. He also had a 1,000 yard season and should have another 2-3 years left in the tank.

I've soured on the idea of giving up the 25th or 37th pick for Turner and aside from Lynch and Peterson (neither will be around when we pick), none of the other RB prospects strike me as "elite".

So what do you guys think?

I already did a thread on this , and agree that we should be looking at stop gap only at the moment until we fix the other pressing needs first.

Green would be my first choice in FA world , followed by Rhodes. Both should come at a reasonable price. Having a vet on the team will also help the younger players like Leon , look how much he took on board from CM.

No thanks

If we can get Turner for our late 2nd rounder, then fine.

But I don't want to give up our 1st or early 2nd for a guy who has never had more than 80 carries in a season and is spelling LT behind one of the best O-lines in the league.

Not every RB can get 500 yards and 6.2 YPC behind LT, this guy has what it takes to be "the guy" and get us 5YPC+.

Stop-gap running backs always work great.

Just look at how awesome Kevan Barlow did this year.

It was a gamble that we had to take , who would you have taken , that we could have afforded?

We would not have won in NE had it not been for Barlow, so this dog did have his day...just.

It was a gamble that we had to take , who would you have taken , that we could have afforded?

We would not have won in NE had it not been for Barlow, so this dog did have his day...just.

I would have left the situation as it was rather than waste a 4th-rounder on Barlow, who everyone already knew sucked. We could have waited until after the camp cuts rolled around and signed a running back. Najeh Davenport would have done just as much as Barlow and that ain't no ****.

I would have left the situation as it was rather than waste a 4th-rounder on Barlow, who everyone already knew sucked. We could have waited until after the camp cuts rolled around and signed a running back. Najeh Davenport would have done just as much as Barlow and that ain't no ****.

The situation was that we had Blaylock , Martin (PUP at the time), Washington and Houston.

Theres no way we would have finished 10-6 without some help from whoever. The one thing that Barlow did do was get some hard yards and give Housto and Leon a breather. And he kept Blaylock out of the team.

Mangini hasn't made many mistakes and Barlow filled a need.

Not every RB can get 500 yards and 6.2 YPC behind LT, this guy has what it takes to be "the guy" and get us 5YPC+.

whenever LT came out for a break, the defense went into nickel. mangold's sister could've gotten 5 ypc in those situations. not saying turner isn't it. just saying he'll cost a first, someone will overpay-- if not the jets than someone else. i agree with stop gap. i hope tangini doesn't get a big head, thinking they're football geniuses. stick to the plan fellas. build the line, don't blow your wad on one big time pickup and focus. we're not the redskins here. we're built in the patroit model. build the trenches, get guys who play their roles well, and DO NOT OVERPAY, EVER NEVER, and underpay when you can (i.e. Brady this year).

Archived