Let's face it Andrew Gross is great....his latest blog

SoFlaJets

Let the debates rage

February

9 Life is infinitely more simple for us at this time of the year than it is for Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum. While we can sit back and debate the merits of potential free agents, he must consider all the possibilities, then, if things progress, go through all the tedious negotiations.

Which is why I like my job so much more.

As previously mentioned numerous times, the Jets could stand upgrades on the right side of the offensive line, on the whole of the defensive line and at cornerback. But, really, Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini are looking to improve the entire roster.

Nothing is beneath consideration.

And when it comes to plucking from the Patriots, nothing seems impossible.

Thus, the expected news that the Patriots will make no attempt to franchise CB Asante Samuel or TE Daniel Graham, bears mentioning, or in Samuel

However, the Chargers do play the 3-4 and Edwards, an inside linebacker, has led them in tackles the past five seasons and has 17 interceptions since 2002. Acquiring him could give the Jets the flexbility to move Jonathan Vilma to the outside, where he might be more suited in the 3-4.

I like the idea of Edwards. The pats did that with Seau (i laughed initially) but they never seemed to take him off the field.

As for moving Vilma outside. That can't be an easy transition, we aren't talking about a high school football team where pure athletiscm reigns supreme. He seems like a good fit for the outside as speed goes. What other Backers have made this transition though? I'm curious if its possible for him to maintain his level of play if he switches. but when it comes to blitzing (which he would do a ton of, especially if we move D-Rob to End) he isn't...well....yeah the guy sucks at blitzing.

I like the idea of Edwards. The pats did that with Seau (i laughed initially) but they never seemed to take him off the field.

As for moving Vilma outside. That can't be an easy transition, we aren't talking about a high school football team where pure athletiscm reigns supreme. He seems like a good fit for the outside as speed goes. What other Backers have made this transition though? I'm curious if its possible for him to maintain his level of play if he switches. but when it comes to blitzing (which he would do a ton of, especially if we move D-Rob to End) he isn't...well....yeah the guy sucks at blitzing.

and I just read over at JI somebody posted a Len Pasquarelli quote as saying the Jets are interested in Tully Banta-Cain-who I would like to see us get-I couldn't find a link or anything on ESPN-which was going way too slow for my patience

and I just read over at JI somebody posted a Len Pasquarelli quote as saying the Jets are interested in Tully Banta-Cain-who I would like to see us get-I couldn't find a link or anything on ESPN-which was going way too slow for my patience

What is the deal with Banta-Cain? I hadn't heard of him till late in the year, and i still don't know what his position is. Seems like a beast, whatever position he plays.

What is the deal with Banta-Cain? I hadn't heard of him till late in the year, and i still don't know what his position is. Seems like a beast, whatever position he plays.

he's a LBer-he plays good against us-it could be addition by subtraction-he's adefinite upgrade over Chatham and Kassell

Let the debates rage

February

9 Life is infinitely more simple for us at this time of the year than it is for Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum. While we can sit back and debate the merits of potential free agents, he must consider all the possibilities, then, if things progress, go through all the tedious negotiations.

Which is why I like my job so much more.

As previously mentioned numerous times, the Jets could stand upgrades on the right side of the offensive line, on the whole of the defensive line and at cornerback. But, really, Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini are looking to improve the entire roster.

Nothing is beneath consideration.

And when it comes to plucking from the Patriots, nothing seems impossible.

Thus, the expected news that the Patriots will make no attempt to franchise CB Asante Samuel or TE Daniel Graham, bears mentioning, or in Samuel

I liked Rashad Moore, not sure why his play went down late in the season but I gather it was because of his hand injury.

Anyways, bringing Donnie Edwards, although 34, would be a good signing IMO. Give him a 2-3 year contract, move Vilma to the outside, Hobson to the inside and trade / release Eric Barton. I'd rather keep Hobson at this point, but, we could also keep Hobson as a back-up at OLB and just leave Barton on the inside.

As for plucking the Patriots, do it! I still have a hard time believing, although I want to see it happen, that the Jets will sign either Samuel or Nate Clements. If it happens? Great and I'm glad I'm wrong but for some reason I don't see Tangini giving one of those guys a contract around the area of 6 years, $42 million, which is what they probably will be looking for.

That being said, bringing in Daniel Graham to be the blocker so we could get Baker out into the field more often would be a great move.

This is the reason AG is the BEST Jets beat reporter out there. He took out Lange (who I like a lot) and Cimini (who I just like) in year one of covering the beat. He's been great here in his chats and his blog kiss tushy.

Banta-Cain would be a nice pickup for sure.

yea Beans I mean the guy seems to genuinely LIKE his job

Let the plucking begin!

have aliens abducted JetMoses?They keep changing him into these names that I don't recognize...note to head alien abductor...

Dear Voltar,

Please return Father Ed/JM to us and we won't tell anyone about the anal probing violations...

Sincerely,

JetNation

have aliens abducted JetMoses?They keep changing him into these names that I don't recognize...note to head alien abductor...

Dear Voltar,

Please return Father Ed/JM to us and we won't tell anyone about the anal probing violations...

Sincerely,

JetNation

And what happens if the Jets draft Quentin Moses? Will JetMoses return in a blaze of glory then?

124-

Why trade/release Eric Barton? He's the most consistent linebacker on the team, has a reasonable salary, and is able to flex seamlessly from a 4-3 to a 3-4 without missing a beat. Mangini's defense demands flexibility - there's no way, in my opinion, that he will be or should be cut. Don't think that Barton's ability to play multiple positions (MLB, OLB; 3-4, 4-3) goes unnoticed with Mangini and Co. The Dan Klecko's of the world didn't make a Super Bowl caliber team by being able to play one position.

Barton brings an attitude that this defense needs. I'll be furious if he's not on the team next year.

Archived