The "Paulus flop" and other images of Duke's demise

Jetsfan80

Interesting...

A colorful debate about Duke's lack of color

By Steve Czaban

Published March 21, 2007 at 5:28 a.m.

The stat, frankly, startled me.

Not necessarily because of what point it was supposed to make, but rather that somebody would have done all the tedious legwork to research it.

What was the stat? Well, don't quote me here because I heard it as Duke was getting bounced from the tournament by VCU at the time, but one of the announcers said that...

"This year's Duke team is the youngest at the school in over 63 years."

And I should care about this, why, exactly?

Sixty-three years. The "youngest" Duke team. Was this number based on the entire roster? Starters only? By pure age, or by class designation?

The notion that somebody went through 63 years worth of Duke rosters to pencil-whip this stat is rather comical. Who cares? What's the point? Oh, wait a minute, now I get it.

If you say that this year's Duke team was the "youngest" in 63 years it helps ignore a more important, yet politically incorrect observation.

Duke was also one of the whitest major D-1 team in recent memory.

Sorry. I said it. I know that you've thought it. But I said it. Somebody had to.

Now I don't have any stats to show that Duke had their whitest roster this side of the Washington Generals, but suffice to say it was Honky-riffic.

Of the 14 players on the roster, only four were black. And if you look deep down the bench, it appears that Duke has stocked up on enough Wally Cleaver-looking white guards between 5-foot-11 and 6-foot-2.

As they say, "not that there's anything wrong with that."

But it makes you wonder: if Duke is practicing against this "white hole" of talent every day, how could they possibly get much better?

Let's not pretend we're idiots here. The best basketball players in the world are -- by percentage -- overwhelmingly black. And even in the college game where "my people" (self-effacing pun intended) enjoy a greater penetration of the overall sport than the NBA, white players remain a minority.

This brings me back to the "youngest in 63 years" comment. Not only was it a reach to go digging that far for some kind of alternate excuse for this year's bad team, but look around college basketball today. There are plenty of "young" teams.

Hell, look 12 miles down the road to Chapel Hill. Roy Williams' starting five this year just started shaving. In Kansas, Bill Self is sitting on a No. 1-seeded beast driven mostly by sophomores and freshmen. Ohio State has three freshmen powering its attack.

How come I haven't heard how "young" those teams are?

Here, see if you can pick out a theme among the following players.

Ohio State

C Greg Oden Freshman

G Mike Conley Jr. Freshman

G Daequan Cook Freshman

Kansas

G Sherron Collins Freshman

F Darrell Arthur Freshman

UNC

F Brandan Wright Freshman

G Wayne Ellington Freshman

G Ty Lawson Freshman

If you said: "Easy. They are all freshmen!" then you are right, but wrong.

Sure, they are all freshmen, but they also share two other common traits.

1. They all happen to be black players.

2. I don't think any one of those teams would trade any one of those players for say, Duke's highly touted freshman guard, Jon Scheyer.

Sure, Scheyer, like a number of Duke recruits of late, comes with great high school credentials. And he might become another J.J. Reddick. But he's a kid from a predominantly white suburban high school, Glenbrook North in Illinois.

It's the same high school as former overachieving Duke point guard turned assistant coach Chris Collins.

And I know a little bit about this high school. I used to work for a Chicago based radio network whose headquarters were literally a soft 9-iron away. In short, it was hardly the mean streets of the South Side of Chicago.

To ignore the obvious difference -- in general -- between white basketball players and black basketball players is folly. While some black kids play like white kids (see: Casey Sanders) and some white kids play like black kids (see: Bobby Hurley), they are usually the exception and not the rule.

All of which is not to say Coach K is in any way racist, or seeking to remake the image of his team. Some of it may be academics. Some of it may be a growing distaste for coaching players who leave the program after one year for the pros.

But the bottom line is simple and obvious: even Coach K can't win like Duke is accustomed to winning with talent this average. For all the hype **** Vitale hosannas, Coach K, like any other coach in college, is just a jockey hoping to land on a powerful horse.

And his most powerful horses have always been laden with mostly black starters and stars, with just a little sprinkling of white kids.

I know all of this is VERY politically incorrect, but so what?

Since nobody else is saying it, I'll be the guy.

It has pretty much all to do w/ K's poor recruiting but I don't think it's a black-white issue. K simply hasn't recruited well, he gets guys rated highly but they have been churning out busts left and right. No coach has had more McD's AA's that turnd out to be busts than K. He also doesn't develop players, either they can play wehn they step on campus or they can't, they don't get much better b/c K doesn't care about them as players and people and only cares about his wins which is another reason his teams have struggled for many years in the Tourney. He wants to pass Dean Smith's # of coaching wins so bad that he has gone away from tough non-conf scheds and schedules mostly creampuffs- that hurts come Tourney time.

The shokcing part of this entire duke problem recruting is they haven't lost anybody of significance early in a few years. he knew he was losing Shelden Williams and JJ redick last year, he didn't have to worry about them leaving and he still couldn't get the players needed to win the lst few years. Roy Williams lost 4 players early in 2005 and his top 7 overall and Carolina was good enough for a 3 seed last year and finished 2nd in the ACC while duke was overseeded at 6 and finished 7th in the ACC this year.

It has pretty much all to do w/ K's poor recruiting but I don't think it's a black-white issue. K simply hasn't recruited well, he gets guys rated highly but they have been churning out busts left and right. No coach has had more McD's AA's that turnd out to be busts than K. He also doesn't develop players, either they can play wehn they step on campus or they can't, they don't get much better b/c K doesn't care about them as players and people and only cares about his wins which is another reason his teams have struggled for many years in the Tourney. He wants to pass Dean Smith's # of coaching wins so bad that he has gone away from tough non-conf scheds and schedules mostly creampuffs- that hurts come Tourney time.

The shokcing part of this entire duke problem recruting is they haven't lost anybody of significance early in a few years. he knew he was losing Shelden Williams and JJ redick last year, he didn't have to worry about them leaving and he still couldn't get the players needed to win the lst few years. Roy Williams lost 4 players early in 2005 and his top 7 overall and Carolina was good enough for a 3 seed last year and finished 2nd in the ACC while duke was overseeded at 6 and finished 7th in the ACC this year.

i hear Paulus is transferring to the Holes!!!!!!!!!! addition by subtraction

Actually Paulus' brother will be playing football at UNC next fall. Pualus is the least of duke's worries, he has developed into a great shooter- BETTER than the overrated JJ redick. The problem is paulus should be a rd or 4th option on a good team but he is 1st or 2nd on this duke team.

Are you on drugs?

Paulus shot 45% from 3 this past year, redick's BEST year he was at 42% and overall was a 40% 3P shooter in College. redick was the most ovetrhyped player I have ever seen. Not a great shooter, NEVER hit a big shot AND never showed up come Tourney time.

Paulus shot 45% from 3 this past year, redick's BEST year he was at 42% and overall was a 40% 3P shooter in College. redick was the most ovetrhyped player I have ever seen. Not a great shooter, NEVER hit a big shot AND never showed up come Tourney time.

Overrated...absolutely? To call Paulus a better shooter is absurd. He doesn't take nearly the amount of shots Reddick did. I hate Reddick just as much as anyone, too. The boy could shoot though.

And to say Paulus is the least of Duke's worries, I disagree. Every guard he plays against has a huge advantage in athleticism. Paulus doesnt handle on ball pressure well at all, and he's a friggin PG.

Overrated...absolutely? To call Paulus a better shooter is absurd. He doesn't take nearly the amount of shots Reddick did. I hate Reddick just as much as anyone, too. The boy could shoot though.

And to say Paulus is the least of Duke's worries, I disagree. Every guard he plays against has a huge advantage in athleticism. Paulus doesnt handle on ball pressure well at all, and he's a friggin PG.

How is one a great shooter when they shoot 40% from the college line and NEVER hit a GW shot in 4 years despite NUMEROUS opportunites?

POTW

Paulus blows and is invisble during the last 5 minutes of the game,

Reddick was a great college player, light years ahead of stiff GP.

NYJunc just loves to spin turds

POTW

Paulus blows and is invisble during the last 5 minutes of the game,

Reddick was a great college player, light years ahead of stiff GP.

NYJunc just loves to spin turds

redick was the most overhyped player I have EVER seen, he always disappeared in big moments and big games, he was a decent- not great- 3 point shooter but was treated like he was the greatest shooter in the history of the game.

FACT- paulus shot better from 3 this year than redick did in any of his 4 years of "greatness".

You can say Paulus isn't clutch but when was redick EVER clutch? redick was counted on to be a clutch player, paulus is not.

redick was the most overhyped player I have EVER seen, he always disappeared in big moments and big games, he was a decent- not great- 3 point shooter but was treated like he was the greatest shooter in the history of the game.

FACT- paulus shot better from 3 this year than redick did in any of his 4 years of "greatness".

You can say Paulus isn't clutch but when was redick EVER clutch? redick was counted on to be a clutch player, paulus is not.

You are off your rocker!!!!!!!!!!!

You are off your rocker!!!!!!!!!!!

show me Redick's great shooting #s? Show me his clutch shots? Show me his Tourney #s?

The facts are he was a 40% 3P shooter in College which is GOOD but FAR from great, he NEVER hit a game tying or winning shot in the final moments of a game dspite having numerous chances(the 3 biggest were '04 FF wide open vs. UConn, '04 ACC Final wide open vs. MD, '05 game at UNC wide open).

Want to see his NCAA Tourney #s?

14 games: 71 of 190(37%) from the field, 36 of 115(31%) from 3, 28 assists, 32 TOs.

Yep, big time player.

By the way, Paulus in 4 Tourney games:

12-33(36%) from the field, 4 of 13(31% from 3), 22 assists, 20 TOs.

sounds like the same player.

Comparing Paulus to Reddick is apples and oranges..

the only player on Dook's squad this year I would say is even close to JJ is John Scheyer bc he is a threat from outside the perimeter and hits 3's.

Scheyer can hit 3's even though he shot 37% from 3 but paulus cannot and he shot 45% from 3? THIS year Paulus was a better 3P shooter than redick was in any year in College. He's not a better player than JJ but he was a better shooter THIS year.

Scheyer can hit 3's even though he shot 37% from 3 but paulus cannot and he shot 45% from 3? THIS year Paulus was a better 3P shooter than redick was in any year in College. He's not a better player than JJ but he was a better shooter THIS year.

That is all fine and all but still the fact remains that Scheyer has assumed the role JJ had as the 3 pt shooter on the team. He hardly ever plays in the low post and almost all his shots come from outside the arc.

That is all fine and all but still the fact remains that Scheyer has assumed the role JJ had as the 3 pt shooter on the team. He hardly ever plays in the low post and almost all his shots come from outside the arc.

That is perception. Paulus took 151 3's and 134 2's, Scheyere took 167 3's and 117 2's. The % is slightly higher of 3's taken for Scheyer but not much and Paulus was the MUCH better 3P shooter this year btw the 2.

That is perception. Paulus took 151 3's and 134 2's, Scheyere took 167 3's and 117 2's. The % is slightly higher of 3's taken for Scheyer but not much and Paulus was the MUCH better 3P shooter this year btw the 2.

i stand corrected, paulus is the best player in college and he will be a lottery pick this year. Reddick couldn't hold his jock strap, paulus also invented the internet not al gore, paulus was actually the 1st man to step on the moon, not Armstrong, Paulus also won a nobel prize in his spare time and bangs scarlet johansson on a regular basis.......

i stand corrected, paulus is the best player in college and he will be a lottery pick this year. Reddick couldn't hold his jock strap, paulus also invented the internet not al gore, paulus was actually the 1st man to step on the moon, not Armstrong, Paulus also won a nobel prize in his spare time and bangs scarlet johansson on a regular basis.......

this is hilarious. a unc fan defending a duke player and a duke fan slamming the same player. carry on gentlemen.

Paulus might end up being a better player, JJ was an overrated player and will never be a good NBA player. Right now Paulus is not as good a player as JJ was but he is a better SHOOTER than JJ ever was at duke. The #s don't lie. 45% is better than 40 or 42%, right?

this is hilarious. a unc fan defending a duke player and a duke fan slamming the same player. carry on gentlemen.

It's more a shot at redick than a compliment to Paulus. redick was the most overrated player I have ever seen, he was never a great player. he scored alot b/c he shot mroe than anyone else, he was supposed to be a great shooter but was a 40% shooter from 3 in College, he is regarded as a clutch player even though in 4 years he never once hit a game tying or winning shot in the final moments even though he had numerous chances.

It's more a shot at redick than a compliment to Paulus. redick was the most overrated player I have ever seen, he was never a great player. he scored alot b/c he shot mroe than anyone else, he was supposed to be a great shooter but was a 40% shooter from 3 in College, he is regarded as a clutch player even though in 4 years he never once hit a game tying or winning shot in the final moments even though he had numerous chances.

What goes up must come down

Spinnin' wheel got to go 'round

Talkin' 'bout your troubles it's a cryin' sin

Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel spin

You got no money and you got no home

Spinnin' wheel all alone

Talkin' 'bout your troubles and you never learn

Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel turn

Did you find the directing sign on the

Straight and narrow highway

Would you mind a reflecting sign

Just let it shine within your mind

And show you the colors that are real

Someone is waiting just for you

Spinnin' wheel, spinnin' true

So far all you have done is take shots at me, you have not shown any evidence to support how "great" Redick was while I have shown you numerous examples of why he wasn't. Let's see an argument for Redick.

Christ... just because JR does not have an NBA body and never projected to be a good NBAer, does not take away that he was a great college player. Any normal tarhole fan creams in their jeans when Paulus is on the floor!!!

Paulus might end up being a better player, JJ was an overrated player and will never be a good NBA player. Right now Paulus is not as good a player as JJ was but he is a better SHOOTER than JJ ever was at duke. The #s don't lie. 45% is better than 40 or 42%, right?

hmmm..

I know that JJ used to get the BEST defender every night,, Paulus doesnt. Also, on many occaisons JJ would get a double team on perimeter, Paulus never sees a double team. So under those conditions, having JJ shoot 40-42% compared to 45% for Paulus might actually say JJ did better.

Archived