AFC East team needs going into the draft.

ARodJetsFan

First off, let me clarify, I did not write this, this from KFFL.

Team Needs: AFC East

With baseball's Opening Day and the NCAA Final Four in the rearview mirror, the National Football League is gearing up to dominate sports headlines during a month when absolutely nothing happens.

The buildup to the NFL Draft is filled with unknowns and conjecture about players very few analysts have actually watched play football. That doesn't make it any less fun, but I'd rather focus on what holes each team has to fill on their current roster.

The next four installments of Offseason Lowdown will focus on those team needs. Today we'll look at the AFC East and AFC North. Since this is a fantasy football site, I'll give the edge to writing up offensive positions when possible.

Buffalo Bills

1. RB - The best use of their draft picks would be to deal for Michael Turner. That wouldn't surprise me at all, but Buffalo will look hard at Marshawn Lynch, Tony Hunt, and other first day running backs otherwise. Anthony Thomas is no starter.

2. CB - Good thing Dick Jauron's system is zone-based, because Terrence McGee as a "shutdown corner" is a scary thought.

3. DT - Darwin Walker is nice, but this team needs a run stopper. Too bad Pat Williams is unavailable.

4. WR - Roscoe Parrish can be a serviceable third receiver, but Peerless Price's best days are long gone. Lee Evans is going to start getting the Steve Smith treatment before long if Buffalo doesn't add talent.

Miami Dolphins

1. DL - Cam Cameron cleaned house with this aging unit, and now needs to restock the cupboard.

2. QB- This is highly dependent on what the Dolphins do before or during the draft. If they acquire Trent Green, they could still use a young signal-caller. If they pick up David Carr, that's probably enough youth at the position along with Cleo Lemon. There's supposedly this guy named Culpepper on the squad that no one talks about as well.

3. CB - Nick Saban couldn't solve this unit. They are a long way from the Surtain-Madison combination of five years ago.

TE - We love David Martin, but not enough to expect him to stay healthy.

New England Patriots

1. LB Adalius Thomas helps, but this is still the oldest unit on the team. Tedy Bruschi would be better off with fewer snaps and there is little depth inside. The Patriots are loathe to invest high picks on linebackers in the draft under Bill Belichick.

2. DB - Asante Samuel is playing under a one-year contract and Ellis Hobbs is still a question mark. New England has decent depth, but Belichick defenses are built from the secondary forward and there aren't enough difference makers. Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson are injury-prone at safety.

3. WR - The Patriots solved their wideout crisis for the short term, but Donte' Stallworth, Kelley Washington, and Reche Caldwell may be free agents next year. Developing a mid-round pick for more playing time in 2008 makes sense.

New York Jets

1. CB - Eric Mangini used to be a secondary coach and his work with an undermanned defensive backfield in 2007 was impressive. That doesn't mean he doesn't dream of a day when he isn't forced to start Hank Poteat at cornerback.

2. LB - Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton were productive, but may be awkward fits for New York's 3-4 defense. A run-stuffer in the middle would help make up for some of the inconsistencies on the defensive line.

3. WR - I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets go with defensive picks for the first 3-4 rounds, but we'll throw in an offensive position since this is a fantasy site. The Jets are set at quarterback and running back, but they could use wideout depth following the expected departure of Justin McCareins. A top tier tight end would make sense, but I don't see a fit in this class.

2. DB - Asante Samuel is playing under a one-year contract and Ellis Hobbs is still a question mark. New England has decent depth, but Belichick defenses are built from the secondary forward and there aren't enough difference makers. Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson are injury-prone at safety.

Wrong

Wrong

I don't agree with that comment either and while the secondary has been a strength of Bellickeck teams in years past, it's pretty apparent to me that Bellicheck really builds his teams from the O and D-lines outward.

Archived