Sauerbrun is free to sign with Broncos

Lil Bit Special

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/04/19/sauerbrun_is_free_to_sign_with_broncos/

Punter Todd Sauerbrun was declared an unrestricted free agent yesterday after a special master ruled that the Patriots' rights of first refusal were void.

"I'm happy about the ruling and I thank New England for giving me the opportunity to be there," Sauerbrun said last night, noting that he was prepared to sign with the Broncos.

Sauerbrun's situation traces to last December, when he signed a deal with the Patriots that expired at the end of the 2006 season. That contract gave the Patriots rights of first refusal to any contract Sauerbrun agreed to in 2007.

On April 3, Sauerbrun agreed to a one-year deal with the Broncos, and the Patriots matched the offer. But the NFL Players Association challenged the Patriots, saying the rights of first refusal document was not filed properly in the original contract.

On Tuesday, Jeffrey Kessler argued the case on behalf of the NFL Players Association in front of special master Stephen Burbank, a visiting professor at Harvard.

Kessler said last night the Patriots can appeal the decision in district court in Minneapolis.

Sauerbrun, who punted in two regular-season games and three playoff games for the Patriots in 2006, was pleased with the decision because he believes his chances of earning a job are better in Denver. In New England, he was set to compete against veteran Josh Miller, as well as Danny Baugher and Tom Malone.

"That was going to be a difficult situation," said Sauerbrun, who will compete against Paul Ernster in Denver and be reunited with his old special teams coach from the Carolina Panthers, Scott O'Brien. "There are no hard feelings. I just had to do what was best for me."

According to the NFL, if you want to include a right of first refusal, it has to be on a separate page from the terms of the contract. Pats drop the ball and now have one less punter to compete for the job. Nice job Pioli!

I've never seen such a stink made over a damn punter. What baffles me even more is how little he wanted to play for the Patriots despite the fact that they were offering just as much money. I guess his feelings got hurt last year when Belichick chewed him out right in front of the camera.

Archived