Hey, Sox fans!

Bob

I'm going to see your team on Monday.

I live near Cooperstown, and my newspaper always gets some free tix to the Hall of Fame Game. So, I get to blow off work on Monday and go see the game.

I suppose I could always root for the NL team, whoever the hell that is.

I'm going to see your team on Monday.

I live near Cooperstown, and my newspaper always gets some free tix to the Hall of Fame Game. So, I get to blow off work on Monday and go see the game.

I suppose I could always root for the NL team, whoever the hell that is.

Cooperstown is one of the greatest places in America.

Picture perfect town beside having the Hall of Fame.

Hey Bob, ever play golf at the Otesaga?

Great run with 3 of the best finishing holes ever.

Cooperstown is great, during the Yanks/ Wox series last year I took the trip from oneonta to the hall of Fame (20 miles) and there were people praying in front of the giant wax sculpture of Babe Ruth that is located towards the rear of the Hall. Go there during the world series and they show a game or two in their grandstand theater, it's a sweet deal, closest to being at the game.

Tx, I realize this question was posed to Bob, but I've had the good fortune to go to Cooperstown on Hall of Fame Weekend 6 times in my young life, and managed to be in the Otesaga with the players on each trip. The golf course there is simply great and the players seem to enjoy it each year. Johnny Bench and Jim Palmer can hit the HELL out of the ball to the fairway, its really a sight to behold.

Hall of Fame weekend isn't what it used to be since they split up the game and the induction ceremony. Most of the Hall of Famers come to town for the ceremony, but only a few on the weekend of the game.

I've never played the course there. I'm a really lousy golfer. I like courses that are cheap and easy, kinda like some of the women I dated, long ago.

shouldnt the Baseball Hall of Fame be located in MA now that we proved that the sport of baseball was officially banned in the city of Pittsfield decades before Abner Doubleday was born???????

Abner Doubleday is sort of the Santa Claus type story that still lingers with each passing generation. Of course the man had nothing to do with baseball and its creation, but he is so embedded in baseball's mythology that it has never really been removed from it. Thus, Cooperstown still has the Hall of Fame, as well as Doubleday Field, and it may always remain that way.

The only greater myth is Babe Ruth's called shot, which much fewer baseball fans are aware of. In case anyone cares to know the truth, Babe Ruth was actually pointing 2 fingers at Charlie Root and saying something to the effect of "you're gonna get 2 strikes on me and that's all that you're gonna get" before his famous homerun. In fact, even paintings of the "called shot" show Ruth pointing TWO fingers. Afterwards, Ruth just went along with the media about it, because who was he to deny himself of being part of such a legendary story?

shouldnt the Baseball Hall of Fame be located in MA now that we proved that the sport of baseball was officially banned in the city of Pittsfield decades before Abner Doubleday was born???????

Abner Doubleday is sort of the Santa Claus type story that still lingers with each passing generation. Of course the man had nothing to do with baseball and its creation, but he is so embedded in baseball's mythology that it has never really been removed from it. Thus, Cooperstown still has the Hall of Fame, as well as Doubleday Field, and it may always remain that way.

The only greater myth is Babe Ruth's called shot, which much fewer baseball fans are aware of. In case anyone cares to know the truth, Babe Ruth was actually pointing 2 fingers at Charlie Root and saying something to the effect of "you're gonna get 2 strikes on me and that's all that you're gonna get" before his famous homerun. In fact, even paintings of the "called shot" show Ruth pointing TWO fingers. Afterwards, Ruth just went along with the media about it, because who was he to deny himself of being part of such a legendary story?

Actually this is the true story of baseballs orgins.....

Throughout the early part of that century, small towns formed teams, and baseball clubs were formed in larger cities. In 1845, Alexander Cartwright wanted to formalize a list of rules by which all team could play. Much of that original code is still in place today. Although popular legend says that the game was invented by Abner Doubleday, baseball's true father was Cartwright.

The first recorded baseball contest took place a year later, in 1846. Cartwright's Knickerbockers lost to the New York Baseball Club in a game at the Elysian Fields, in Hoboken, New Jersey. These amateur games became more frequent and more popular. In 1857, a convention of amateur teams was called to discuss rules and other issues. Twenty five teams from the northeast sent delegates. The following year, they formed the National Association of Base Ball Players, the first organized baseball league. In its first year of operation, the league supported itself by occasionally charging fans for admission. The future looked very bright.

Actually this is the true story of baseballs orgins.....

Throughout the early part of that century, small towns formed teams, and baseball clubs were formed in larger cities. In 1845, Alexander Cartwright wanted to formalize a list of rules by which all team could play. Much of that original code is still in place today. Although popular legend says that the game was invented by Abner Doubleday, baseball's true father was Cartwright.

The first recorded baseball contest took place a year later, in 1846. Cartwright's Knickerbockers lost to the New York Baseball Club in a game at the Elysian Fields, in Hoboken, New Jersey. These amateur games became more frequent and more popular. In 1857, a convention of amateur teams was called to discuss rules and other issues. Twenty five teams from the northeast sent delegates. The following year, they formed the National Association of Base Ball Players, the first organized baseball league. In its first year of operation, the league supported itself by occasionally charging fans for admission. The future looked very bright.

How was it Bob?

There was a nice article in today's Boston Globe about Pesky, Dom DiMaggio and Ted Williams.

It was fun, SJ. Pesky, Dimaggio and Bobby Doerr were there.

During the home run derby, Damon wasn't doing that well. A Sox fan behind me yelled, "Let Foulke pitch!" Ortiz won the thing, hitting eight out of 10.

Your punk-ass scumbag catcher presented a World Series ring to the Hall of Fame, and I gained a little respect for Johnny Damon and Bronson Arroyo. Damon played catch with the fans in the centerfield bleachers during warmups before the one inning he played. Later, the two of them went around the outfield wall and signed autographs.

Damon coached third base for one inning. He told the scrub that was coming into third to slide, but the guy stood up and made an inning-ending out.

The weather was better than it was supposed to be. We left before the end of the game, but there was nobody you had ever heard of still on the field at that point. They bring up a lot of minor leaguers for this deal.

All in all, a pretty entertaining day. I was pretty far from the plate, but I shot a pic of the caveman at bat. If I can blow it up and crop it enough to make it worthwhile, I'll post it later.

Archived